The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ballerinabetty
think that you are going to get in. a positive attitude will help you even if you dont.

how did you work out that 5yr in newcastle would be cheeper?

Rent down south ie warwick london etc is more than 3k a year here I dont pay rent so for me it is actually cheaper to just do 5years up here if i can get in
brokenangel
Rent down south ie warwick london etc is more than 3k a year here I dont pay rent so for me it is actually cheaper to just do 5years up here if i can get in

oh ok.
with warwick though the nhs bursary would pay alot of your accomidation fees (almost all if you get a shared house after first year).
however i def agree with the london schools (esp for thier 5yr course) there only for the rich folk or those with big savings.
ballerinabetty
oh ok.
with warwick though the nhs bursary would pay alot of your accomidation fees (almost all if you get a shared house after first year).
however i def agree with the london schools (esp for thier 5yr course) there only for the rich folk or those with big savings.

If the bursary is income assessed like student loans at undergrad i wouldnt get it. I only get minimum loan. If i need to proffessional studies loan + parents would give me the money for London GEM
brokenangel
If the bursary is income assessed like student loans at undergrad i wouldnt get it. I only get minimum loan. If i need to proffessional studies loan + parents would give me the money for London GEM

you would only not get a nhs bursury if your total household income is above £50,000. all tuition fees are paid regardless of income.
ballerinabetty
you would only not get a nhs bursury if your total household income is above £50,000. all tuition fees are paid regardless of income.

Ah right thats good to know i was working on fees+living for 4/5yrs. Remind me to rep you tomorrow
brokenangel
Ah right thats good to know i was working on fees+living for 4/5yrs. Remind me to rep you tomorrow

i least now you can sleep soundly. lol.
i mean you wont be loaded my any means but no matter what your income GEP is possible financially for all... that is kind of the point of the nhs bursary :smile:.
with regard to payments and figures i have done my research about going to kcl i have worked out that the first year will cost me like 12k and the next 3 will be about 2 k each so about 18k for a grad med degree in london
Reply 387
Got my third rejection today for GEM at Southampton :frown: I just don't know if I can afford to lose another year and reapply next year....
med121
Got my third rejection today for GEM at Southampton :frown: I just don't know if I can afford to lose another year and reapply next year....

if you need to take a year out before reapplying then use it to your advantage. work lots and save up some well needed cash for GEP.

sorry about your rejection though. have you had any feed back from the schools you applied to?
Hi guys

Happy to have found this thread, was starting to think there weren't any A101 applicants on here! As you can see from my sig I have a long history of med applications... :frown: I've applied for SGUL, PMS and Notts this time round, and have interviews at all three thanks to my GAMSAT (what a horrible idea that was!). PMS is 4th March, Notts will tell me this week and SGUL was 14th Jan. Should be hearing from SGUL any day now and it's driving me crazy. I know there was a load of offers and rejections that went out last week, but as far as I'm aware there's been nothing since. I've logged into Tracks so many times, I've forgotten what it is I was looking for. I just wanna know already! Anyone else still waiting?
choco what work experience did you do and what gamsat ukcat and degree grades ?
papajames
choco what work experience did you do and what gamsat ukcat and degree grades ?

Hi
It's mostly all in my sig. I didn't take UKCAT this year, GAMSAT was 66,64,62: av 64. Notts and SGUL cutoff was 60 and PMS cutoff was 64 this year. I got a 2:ii in Biomedical Science, but it was very close. I developed asthma and aneamia for most of my final year, which completely wiped me out and pulled my grades down so I couldn't get the 2:i I needed to take my Leicester offer (gutted). I've done 2 years (term time) volunteering in a hospital on the elderly care and neuro wards, 3 months in a GP's surgery, half a day observing endoscopies and gastroscopies, a day and a half in upper GI and thoracic surgery, a week of lectures convincing me I don't want to be a medic and look at all the other things I could do, with some practical skills thrown in like first aid, defibrillation and intubation. I'm a West of England championship Gold medalling rower, a West of England Gold medaling cox, a Sailing Instructor for kids age 7-17 and I'm a project officer in the business support team of the third largest pensions administration company in the world. Gosh, sounds quite impressive when it's listed like that 0_0 Does that help?
Hi everyone,

I'm Craig, I've applied to A101 at Notts, SGUL and Keele.

My first degree was in Human Genetics at Notts (2:i) and I only took gamsat (72 av 72,71,73) hence my applications.

I have been asked to interview at Notts and SGUL, but because of very bad a-levels (BCD :P) I didn't fit the bill for Keele.

As others I'm waiting for my Notts interview date this week and received my first offer from SGUL on Friday.

Good luck everyone and feel free to PM me if you're planning on heading to Notts or SGUL next September :smile:

Craig (sat in awe reading ilovehotchocolates CV!)
cd.thomson

*blushes* I'm sure it sounds better than it is..... Congrats on the offer :smile: Still (not so patiently*) waiting.
* read: going slowly crazy!
cd.thomson
Hi everyone,

I'm Craig, I've applied to A101 at Notts, SGUL and Keele.

My first degree was in Human Genetics at Notts (2:i) and I only took gamsat (72 av 72,71,73) hence my applications.

I have been asked to interview at Notts and SGUL, but because of very bad a-levels (BCD :P) I didn't fit the bill for Keele.

As others I'm waiting for my Notts interview date this week and received my first offer from SGUL on Friday.

Good luck everyone and feel free to PM me if you're planning on heading to Notts or SGUL next September :smile:

why did keele reject you because of alevel results? i thought the point of GAMSAT was that they didnt look at GCSE and Alevels.:confused:

congrads on the offer though. :smile:
cd.thomson

ilovehotchocolate

what did you use for GAMSAT revision? any tips :smile:
GAMSAT is basically an aptitude test which most of the GAMSAT unis use as a tool to level the playing field and judge people on their current abilities and performance. Keele only takes on (I think) 10 GEM students a year so if there is an obvious weakness in your application, like mine, then you quickly lose ground against the "opposition".

I've not actually had a rejection yet but they haven't contacted me since I applied, and I presume I would need an interview at some point if they were going to accept!

GAMSAT was difficult, end of. I would recommend the griffith review early on (I got it a week before the exam) as it helps to direct your learning. Other than that I used the as/a2 level in a week books for science and the three practice papers from the website thats all. ETA - this makes it sound like I did it all in a week, which isn't true! I revised for 2-3 hours a day on average for 3 months and sat the practice exams many times. Also - sort out time management, so many people around me didn't finish the sections which is just throwing away marks.

I'm still pretty definite they mixed my paper up with someone elses though... :rolleyes:
cd.thomson
GAMSAT is basically an aptitude test which most of the GAMSAT unis use as a tool to level the playing field and judge people on their current abilities and performance. Keele only takes on (I think) 10 GEM students a year so if there is an obvious weakness in your application, like mine, then you quickly lose ground against the "opposition".

I've not actually had a rejection yet but they haven't contacted me since I applied, and I presume I would need an interview at some point if they were going to accept!

GAMSAT was difficult, end of. I would recommend the griffith review early on (I got it a week before the exam) as it helps to direct your learning. Other than that I used the as/a2 level in a week books for science and the three practice papers from the website thats all. ETA - this makes it sound like I did it all in a week, which isn't true! I revised for 2-3 hours a day on average for 3 months and sat the practice exams many times. Also - sort out time management, so many people around me didn't finish the sections which is just throwing away marks.

I'm still pretty definite they mixed my paper up with someone elses though... :rolleyes:

what sections does GAMSAT have?
What stage of applying are you at?

I can't recall the full section titles but there's

1. Reasoning in humanities (multiple choice)
2. Written communication (2x set essays)
3. Reasoning in science (multiple choice)

have a look at www.gamsatuk.org for more information
cd.thomson
What stage of applying are you at?
I can't recall the full section titles but there's

1. Reasoning in humanities (multiple choice)
2. Written communication (2x set essays)
3. Reasoning in science (multiple choice)

have a look at www.gamsatuk.org for more information

applying for degrees atm. im just considering my options and like to be informed. i have to do GEP because my college dont do chemistry alevel so i cant apply to school leaver med.

thanks for that link

EDIT: did you know your results before you applied to med school in oct???

Latest

Trending

Trending