The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OnTheVerge
... by the interviwers in some sort of special selecting process?

The idea of doing a 4 year course seems really challenging and exciting, but how do I apply for this course rather than the normal 6 years one and is there another interview and application for this?

thank you!

Study a degree for 3 (or 4) years, then apply through UCAS.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide

Should answer most of your questions...if not then post in this thread and someone will get back to you

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1021440
Everyone here seems to be getting offers. I have already been rejected from three of my choices. I am still waiting to hear from my 4th choice and I am getting worried.

It is all because of the damn ukcat test. It is limiting the places I can apply for. Also, because I have no A levels but only scottish highers, it further limits the places I can apply to. It is so annoying. I am a graduate and it is my first time applying.

Congratulations on those that got offers. I like it when graduates get into medicine, rather than high school students.

Does anyone here have any advice or anything. I know that medicine is really competitive and some people have been rejected after applying even three times for medicine.
Original post by winter_mute
I know the BMA are well aware of it, and are pressing the DoH every week or so for an answer. This magical white paper is now 5 months late!

My suspicions are someone at the treasury is trying to magically find some money behind a sofa, or wait for the new NHS reforms.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't ask private healthcare to "sponsor" medical students. God help us all if they do.

Original post by apotoftea
That'll depend on the outcome of whether grads are entitled to the fee loan anyway. Which I still don't think will ever be passed through government as much as we all want it to.

This is really just a very quick reply as i feel guilty for not being more clear up the top, however i have a 5k assignment/portfolio thing to finish so it will have to be brief.

Everyone is familiar with equal oppertunities law imagine, age, gender etc, the way the current system is worded a degree higher than the current degree is funded correct however the gov is currently trying to say medicine isnt higher/ they wont fund it.

Well as they have had to open up medicine to those outside of the UK (F1 posts) due to european and equal oppertunities law, one of the student im speaking to has highered a lawyer to draft an arguement that they are technically in breach of the law by denying funding for medicine, as it has been highlighted to them that the actual wording of the law means that as it is officially classified as a higher level degreee they are being discriminatory against those that are more qualified than school leavers. + **** loads of stats on the distribution of private vs state at med school.

Its a really detailed report and appaerently a strong arguement (i dont pretend to understand it)

More tomorrow guys sorry really need to get my head down
Original post by brokenangel
as it has been highlighted to them that the actual wording of the law means that as it is officially classified as a higher level degree

That's the same argument DPSM has been using on NMM and still isn't getting that far forward in the process, despite a LOT of support from varying people in the know and being involved with the governing bodies. There are lots of government loopholes that seem to stopping it progress.

For those with Master's degrees or PhDs who want to study Medicine, they're overqualified in terms of QAA ratings anyway so the fee loan debate doesn't help them :smile:

Original post by firestar101
x

What about sitting GAMSAT?
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh god, you have to prove you can afford the 1st year!? I was going to say I have some money saved and if not take out a massive loan from the bank.....gulp.
That's the same argument DPSM has been using on NMM and still isn't getting that far forward in the process, despite a LOT of support from varying people in the know.

For those with Master's degrees or PhDs who want to study Medicine, they're overqualified in terms of QAA ratings anyway so the fee loan debate doesn't help them :smile:

What about sitting GAMSAT?

I was thinking of sitting the gamsat in September 2011. I knew that it was an option, but I have heard a lot of horror stories about the gamsat and of how difficult it is. But, I might surprise myself and end up doing really well.

I do have a 2.1 degree, so I could apply to all the medical schools that accept the gamsat.
Original post by firestar101
I was thinking of sitting the gamsat in September 2011. I knew that it was an option, but I have heard a lot of horror stories about the gamsat and of how difficult it is. But, I might surprise myself and end up doing really well.

I do have a 2.1 degree, so I could apply to all the medical schools that accept the gamsat.

Honestly, nothing you can read online will give you an idea of what the exam's like until you sit the bastard :wink: It would open you up to SGUL, Notts, Swansea, PMS 5 year and Keele (but they only take on 10 grads anyway...).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by baztech
Oh god, you have to prove you can afford the 1st year!? I was going to say I have some money saved and if not take out a massive loan from the bank.....gulp.

Before the funding cuts you probably would have gotten away with it, but now I bet they're going have the finance department running like bailiffs.

Do you remember going to hand in your student loan when you started your first degree? Well that was the proof you could fund the course. I guess it works the same for this, you have up to when you start to prove it.

BTW I just found some good links on swansea's site for funding http://www.gemedicine.swan.ac.uk/applyingforfunds.html

Edit: I have no idea about Scottish funding, maybe speak to them?
(edited 13 years ago)
Honestly, nothing you can read online will give you an idea of what the exam's like until you sit the bastard :wink: It would open you up to SGUL, Notts, Swansea, PMS 5 year and Keele (but they only take on 10 grads anyway...).

I propose a motion that from henceforth the GAMSAT exam shall be known as the SHAMSAT exam in this thread! :tongue:
Original post by winter_mute
I propose a motion that from henceforth the GAMSAT exam shall be known as the SHAMSAT exam in this thread! :tongue:

:yep: I was trying to explain to the nurses today about what it involved. I gave up :biggrin:
Hi everyone,

I've posted a couple of times, but sitting and waiting has spurred me into further action rather than sitting here stalking you all!

Congrats to everyone who now has firm places. It makes me really happy to see people succeeding at what they want, and, like someone said further up this thread, I really like seeing grads get places cos I know how hard it is.

I'm waiting to hear from King's, and I'm feeling extra nervous now I know some of you have your offers from there. I interviewed late in the afternoon on 11/1/11 (were any of you in the pub with a bunch of us afterwards?) Can't work out ay plausible explanation for why they'd be making me an offer but haven't sent it yet. :s-smilie: I can only conclude that a rejection is on the way. The not knowing is making me feel practically itchy inside...that's a really weird thing to say but I claim it's accurate!

Did your King's offers come via post, email or myApplication?
Reply 3992
Original post by shangrilalala
Hi everyone,

I've posted a couple of times, but sitting and waiting has spurred me into further action rather than sitting here stalking you all!

Congrats to everyone who now has firm places. It makes me really happy to see people succeeding at what they want, and, like someone said further up this thread, I really like seeing grads get places cos I know how hard it is.

I'm waiting to hear from King's, and I'm feeling extra nervous now I know some of you have your offers from there. I interviewed late in the afternoon on 11/1/11 (were any of you in the pub with a bunch of us afterwards?) Can't work out ay plausible explanation for why they'd be making me an offer but haven't sent it yet. :s-smilie: I can only conclude that a rejection is on the way. The not knowing is making me feel practically itchy inside...that's a really weird thing to say but I claim it's accurate!

I was 3:30 on the 11th... Although missed the whole pub thing! Probably too in my own little world!

Some people heard wednesday, some heard thursday. Only three have owned up on here as having offers. I rang King's last thurs and they did say that answers would be coming over the next two weeks (week now). So I guess they are just still thinking about some... or something! Heard of nobody with a rejection...

But yes, i'm not enjoying the wait to hear...
Original post by Oli3000
I was 3:30 on the 11th... Although missed the whole pub thing! Probably too in my own little world!

Some people heard wednesday, some heard thursday. Only three have owned up on here as having offers. I rang King's last thurs and they did say that answers would be coming over the next two weeks (week now). So I guess they are just still thinking about some... or something! Heard of nobody with a rejection...

But yes, i'm not enjoying the wait to hear...

There are a couple of King's 4 year rejections on NMM I think :smile: Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 3994
There are a couple of King's 4 year rejections on NMM I think :smile: Good luck :biggrin:

Thanks for that! After interview?
Original post by Oli3000
Thanks for that! After interview?

I believe so but could be wrong :smile:
Original post by shangrilalala
Hi everyone,

Hey, got mine in post and on myapplication. I got an email saying that myapp had chages status though. Ucas also email you...

Good luck!
Guys, do you ever think about the level of patient contact & care docs really have? I mean as in they tend to 'treat and street', with the nurses doing everything else.
x

Soton rejection today :frown: You are still in the running so best of luck! :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Thanks for all the replies. It makes me feel a little better to hear there have been rejections and I haven't got one yet (sorry to anyone who has :frown: ), so I won't give up hope just yet. I went in last Wednesday with my documents - the myApplication system thing wasn't working and I couldn't log in and no one was picking up the phone - and they said they would let everyone know *at the same time*, and within a fortnight tops... It seems that some people were getting decisions through while I was actually standing in the office!

I was interviewed at 4.30 (6ish is totally ok for heading to the pub...) - anyone who was there too do get in touch if you want to. I remember speaking to a couple of awesome people but didn't get any names; luckily it wasn't the usual awkward small talk kind of thing - I think we'd all had enough of that by then!

apotoftea - this is probably a bit over-stalky even for here, but I really hope you hear from Soton soon. This waiting malarkey is a total nightmare.

Latest

Trending

Trending