The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adsyrah
It's been put in a couple of other threads... Pearson Vue have tweeted that the national average for UKCAT this year is 2476 (619 per section).

http://twitter.com/#!/UKCATest/status/135995964057063424

Would be really good to know the average for graduates, but I guess there's no way they'd be able to differentiate between each candidate.

Posting the mean score without the standard deviation is essentially just trolling.
Original post by lcsurfer

Original post by lcsurfer

Music thats sweet! What instrument(s) you play? I play in a big band so much fun, hate music theory though

Drums are my main instrument, used to play bass as well but not so much now. I wasn't too into the theory side either (or rather I enjoyed looking at music from a sociological/cultural studies perspective but not digging into harmony etc) but I went to a conservatoire so the course was around 50% performance based.

Disaster management sounds like a great degree to go into medicine off the back of. When I was uming and ahing over applying for medicine I looked into development studies at SOAS and a few other places, seemed like a really interesting area to study and lots of relevant stuff you could bring up in interviews.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Posting the mean score without the standard deviation is essentially just trolling.

More info:

http://twitter.com/#!/UKCATest/status/136076960811073536

Me or Pearson?

If you mean me - don't shoot the messenger! I was just forwarding on what little info they've given :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by adsyrah
Me or Pearson?

If you mean me - don't shoot the messenger! I was just forwarding on what little info they've given :colondollar:

Lol, Pearson.
Lol, Pearson.

Ha! Thought I'd check. Though I completely agree with you - the mean is pretty useless without more info.
Reply 7986

Damn. Not quite in the 75th.
Reply 7987
If you want to know your percentile score. Go here:

http://bayes.bgsu.edu/nsf_web/jscript/normal_cdf/normal_icdf.htm

Input 2476 in the mean and 263 in the SD. Then adjust the probability on the right (write 75% as 0.75 etc.) until the X box states your score. e.g. my score of 2620 is at the 70.9%.

Hope that helps rather than stresses people out...
Is right as it's assuming a completely uniform distribution of marks?

If so, I'm in the top 1-2% :eek:

EDIT:

I meant: "Is that right as it's assuming a uniform distribution of marks?"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7989
I got 89%.. so that makes me in the top 11%?
Original post by manupalace
Which hospital are you at? I'm going to be starting pre-reg at a London hospital next July. I can see myself feeling the same way you do, tbh I already do feel like that. On (my very rare) placements I see doctors and med students everywhere and can feel myself turning green.

Apparently many pharmacists make the switch as they attain the knowledge needed to know what needs to be done, but can't do it.

aww well done! tough work getting a london pre-reg, I'm at guys and tommies, great place, really really wide experiences which is helping my application. pre-reg will just make ur envy worse lol

ALOT of pharmacist i know are going into med or talking about it
Reply 7991
That webpage does assume normal distribution. The results may well have that distribution, but I guess its fair to think that it'll be mostly high calibre people doing the UKCAT, with a few who completely bombed, resulting in a skew towards the higher marks. If that's the case then the web page would.... underestimate? ..your actual percentage.

Main thing is - it's a good estimate.
Original post by Cattree
That webpage does assume normal distribution. The results may well have that distribution, but I guess its fair to think that it'll be mostly high calibre people doing the UKCAT, with a few who completely bombed, resulting in a skew towards the higher marks. If that's the case then the web page would.... underestimate? ..your actual percentage.

Main thing is - it's a good estimate.

Would the estimate not be out due to the lowest possible score in the UKCAT not being 0? ( I think it's 400)
Reply 7993
Original post by FrenziedPenguin
Would the estimate not be out due to the lowest possible score in the UKCAT not being 0? ( I think it's 400)

I don't think it matters what the absolute high and low values are (think it's 300 to 900). The SD gives the spread about the mean, so you can calculate from that. e.g. at 10% the average mark would be 541, according to the webpage.
Original post by Cattree
I don't think it matters what the absolute high and low values are (think it's 300 to 900). The SD gives the spread about the mean, so you can calculate from that. e.g. at 10% the average mark would be 541, according to the webpage.

Excellent, thanks for clarifying that. In that case I am very pleased!
Reply 7995
Hi, my name is Gon and I am studying biochemistry at Imperial, currently a second year.
I am going to apply A101 for 2013 entry (so I will be applying before I finish my degree)
I have a few questions that I want to ask:

-----I have previously volunteered in East surrey hospital, but that was in my L6 year. I worked in a bank last summer and is current working in the science museum on Saturdays as an ambassador. To strengthen my application, I am thinking to apply for a 2 months student attachment program in a hospital working as a ward assistant, on the other hand, i think working as a medical related lab intern in a university would be useful as well. Can you advice me which option is more useful for me?

----When will the application for 2013 entry open? This is because Imperial starts usually in october, and the deadline for med is always mid oct, I am worried that just 2 weeks wouldnt be sufficient for my tutor in imperial to put together a decent reference. tutors never reply emails in summer. also, do i apply as an individual applicant? or do I ask imperial for a buzzword.

----Most of the med schools that I want to apply to require candidates to take the UKCAT. I have bought a book to practise but I think thats not enough, I looked on the internet but I have only found a few pastpapers. Do you know any resources that I can get more practise for the UKCAT?
Reply 7996
I would suggest the ward assistant would be better due to patient contact, and observation of health professionals at work.

Think UCAS opens beginning of September? If you informed him of your intentions the previous term could he write a reference for you then? My tutor did a reference in an afternoon, so 2 weeks should be ok anyway.

I bought this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical-School-comprehensive-explanations/dp/1905812094

and used the practice tests on the Pearson website.
Original post by Gon_Gon
Hi, my name is Gon and I am studying biochemistry at Imperial, currently a second year.
I am going to apply A101 for 2013 entry (so I will be applying before I finish my degree)
I have a few questions that I want to ask:

-----I have previously volunteered in East surrey hospital, but that was in my L6 year. I worked in a bank last summer and is current working in the science museum on Saturdays as an ambassador. To strengthen my application, I am thinking to apply for a 2 months student attachment program in a hospital working as a ward assistant, on the other hand, i think working as a medical related lab intern in a university would be useful as well. Can you advice me which option is more useful for me?

----When will the application for 2013 entry open? This is because Imperial starts usually in october, and the deadline for med is always mid oct, I am worried that just 2 weeks wouldnt be sufficient for my tutor in imperial to put together a decent reference. tutors never reply emails in summer. also, do i apply as an individual applicant? or do I ask imperial for a buzzword.

----Most of the med schools that I want to apply to require candidates to take the UKCAT. I have bought a book to practise but I think thats not enough, I looked on the internet but I have only found a few pastpapers. Do you know any resources that I can get more practise for the UKCAT?

I recomend the same UKCAT book, it's very good.
You will have to apply as an individual, you only apply through an institution if you're still in sith form.
Reply 7998
Thank you Cattree & Frenzied Penguin
Actually the 600Q book is the book i bought

Since I am applying before i finish my degree, do i ask my tutor to put my predicted grade on the ucas form? or do i just attach a copy of my transcript?

I still dont know where I shd apply, I got 6 a levels with all sciences and maths, so i am thinking maybe to just focus on the med schools which require science A levels.
Original post by adsyrah
Is right as it's assuming a completely uniform distribution of marks?

If so, I'm in the top 1-2% :eek:

EDIT:

I meant: "Is that right as it's assuming a uniform distribution of marks?"

Top 2% for me too :^_^:

What's with the negs though?

Latest

Trending

Trending