The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

toxik_apple
St. Andrews and Aberdeen accept graduates onto their normal course, if you can stomach the additional time.

And yes, that's the GAMSAT.

You don't need to sit the BMAT for Cambridge IF you meet their pre-med requirements for admissions.

Ama2007
I can def get a place in Aberdeen but thats not the point.I want to do the 4 years course.

I am sure cambridge graduates dont need TO do the BMAT because I phoned and asked them ....

p.s does anyone know how long the holidays are for graduates ?my previous degree was intensive but we got 3months 20 days off!!

Cambridge has some pretty hefty pre-med requirements but if you meet them you don't need to sit the BMAT.

Cambridge holidays - think you only get like 6 weeks a year or something for the first two years as your patient contact is done during normal uni hols. The rest all vary but think most have a standard first year.

If you're thinking of applying for 2011, you better register for GAMSAT asap at the now even more expensive cost of £242!
How the hell do they manage to justify charging £240 for the GAMSAT? What a complete insult.
Horrorshow
Whilst the student loan company saga rumbles on, I appear to have just been given the first installment of the maintenance loan TODAY.......even thought i've not met the conditions of the offer....

Hmmm what to do......

I've just been paid mine too :s-smilie: even though they've still got to do the assessment on my parents income :s-smilie:
After my rent's taken out of my loan I have £100 to live on from Sept til Dec...joy :rolleyes:
Fafthelibrarian
I've just been paid mine too :s-smilie: even though they've still got to do the assessment on my parents income :s-smilie:
After my rent's taken out of my loan I have £100 to live on from Sept til Dec...joy

Same here and i havent even returned the decleration yet!! Tho im going into the final year of my degree not a fresher

BTW - its me that has just subscribed to your blog
GodspeedGehenna
How the hell do they manage to justify charging £240 for the GAMSAT? What a complete insult.

It's the £192 plus the £50 late fee as registration officially closed yesterday.

When I booked mine I just went sod it tbh but I had just spent more than that on one pair of outdoor leather boots :ninja: Also, it's a small sum for what it could lead to. Saying that, it's like the cost of OU modules. I was happily considering doing a couple to boost my pre-med admissions for the Cambridge entry but one of the modules they take is almost £1000 to study!
apotoftea
It's the £192 plus the £50 late fee as registration officially closed yesterday.

When I booked mine I just went sod it tbh but I had just spent more than that on one pair of outdoor leather boots :ninja: Also, it's a small sum for what it could lead to. Saying that, it's like the cost of OU modules. I was happily considering doing a couple to boost my pre-med admissions for the Cambridge entry but one of the modules they take is almost £1000 to study!

Still, even without the late fee, £192 is a monstrous amount to expect a student to cough up. Why should they charge so much, especially compared to the UKCAT.
GodspeedGehenna
Still, even without the late fee, £192 is a monstrous amount to expect a student to cough up. Why should they charge so much, especially compared to the UKCAT.

Don't get me wrong - it is a lot of money. They must be making a packet!

Say 1000 students sit it in London alone - that's almost £200 000 for one day. Now, the rent/hire of x location won't even be a tenth of that, more like one hundredth. Publishing of the test itself and materials will be expensive but I doubt that'll make a dent either. Ok, so there is other costs like sending papers to Australia for triple marking etc which the UKCAT doesn't have. And don't forget that the UKCAT is just a computerised test run on a body of automated questions, which once made, designed (and updated when needed) won't have massive overheads.

I don't get why everything related to GAMSAT is expensive. Those gullible enough to pay for it?
apotoftea
Don't get me wrong - it is a lot of money. They must be making a packet though.

Say 1000 students sit it in London alone - that's almost £200 000 for one day. Now, the rent/hire of x location won't even be a tenth of that, more like one hundredth. Publishing of the test itself and materials will be expensive but I doubt that'll make a dent either.

I don't get why everything related to GAMSAT is expensive. Those gullible enough to pay for it?

I suppose if it's a paper exam you have to include the wages (minimum) of those marking them. I guess that would account for the discrepancy between it and the UKCAT. But still, not that much.
GodspeedGehenna
I suppose if it's a paper exam you have to include the wages (minimum) of those marking them. I guess that would account for the discrepancy between it and the UKCAT. But still, not that much.

See my edit but it still doesn't cover the gap of oh you know £150 000 :woo: And there's what? 6 centres in the UK to sit it at?
brokenangel
Same here and i havent even returned the decleration yet!! Tho im going into the final year of my degree not a fresher

BTW - its me that has just subscribed to your blog

Maybe one of their dim-witted employees accidentally pressed the button marked "pay everyone's lones"? It wouldn't surprise me!

Congrats on being my first subscriber :p: I've returned the favour
I don't think I've even been sent a dec form. I certainly don't recall returning it.

Looking at my correspondance on the SLC website, they haven't sent me anything and it's not asking me for anything.

:dontknow: Oh well.
Reply 991
Hi everyone,
:woo:
I'm new to TSR, My name is Laura and I am applying for 2011 entry as a graduate. I really (like everyone else here) want to study medicine and have been watching this forum for a while :cool: If i dont make 2011, I will apply in 2012 i believe after taking Gamsat/UKCAT again!

I don't have amazing A level grades, English, Chemistry, Applied Business AS, Biology AS, and French AS. (BEbcee) I have fair GCSE's (AAABBBB) but I am predicted a good 2:1 in my BA English degree...

For work experience:

2 weeks working with disabled children, 4 weeks working in a school, for my PS i've tried to draw on my own experiences as a patient/visitor. I'm trying to arrange GP/hosp placement... its proving diff as I started in May and still dont have one... I'm giving it another week before volunteering in a care home...

I havent sat UKCAT yet (its in early sept) and cannot take GAMSAT this year (due to money) and as three of my four choices so far I'm applying to (depending on my ukcat):

Southampton - 4 year
KCL - 5 year
Newcastle - 4 year

Any ideas for a 4th choice? or anything I should know about my the choices I've listed/work exp? :confused:

Help is always appreciated, Thanks:smile: xxx
salmon24l
Hi everyone,
:woo:
I'm new to TSR, My name is Laura and I am applying for 2011 entry as a graduate. I really (like everyone else here) want to study medicine and have been watching this forum for a while :cool: If i dont make 2011, I will apply in 2012 i believe after taking Gamsat/UKCAT again!

I don't have amazing A level grades, English, Chemistry, Applied Business AS, Biology AS, and French AS. (BEbcee) I have fair GCSE's (AAABBBB) but I am predicted a good 2:1 in my BA English degree...

For work experience:

2 weeks working with disabled children, 4 weeks working in a school, for my PS i've tried to draw on my own experiences as a patient/visitor. I'm trying to arrange GP/hosp placement... its proving diff as I started in May and still dont have one... I'm giving it another week before volunteering in a care home...

I havent sat UKCAT yet (its in early sept) and cannot take GAMSAT this year (due to money) and as three of my four choices so far I'm applying to (depending on my ukcat):

Southampton - 4 year
KCL - 5 year
Newcastle - 4 year

Any ideas for a 4th choice? or anything I should know about my the choices I've listed/work exp? :confused:

Help is always appreciated, Thanks:smile: xxx

Good luck personnaly i would go for another 5yr if you can
Reply 993
So when is the deadline for GAMSAT? and how much ar ethe normal fees? I am applying for 2012 but I need this stuff beforehand because I will be doing my pre-reg and wont have any time to look up things.

I am considering
Cambridge, St.George, Bristol, Newcastle

what do you think?

I want to go to uni that doesnt rely on your UKCAT results so is that the right choice?
Ama2007

I want to go to uni that doesnt rely on your UKCAT results so is that the right choice?

Newcastle rank applicants by UKCAT for interview so no
salmon24l

You'll definitely need hospital work experience and if you can't get it, have you thought about hospital volunteering? Otherwise when you get asked why medicine and how do you know it's the right choice for you questions you won't have anything to go on.

Southampton - 4 year
KCL - 5 year
Newcastle - 4 year

One assumes you meet the A-level entry requirements for Southampton? Also they're very hot on the PS given they don't interview.

Ama2007
So when is the deadline for GAMSAT? and how much ar ethe normal fees? I am applying for 2012 but I need this stuff beforehand because I will be doing my pre-reg and wont have any time to look up things.

I am considering
Cambridge, St.George, Bristol, Newcastle

what do you think?

Deadline for GAMSAT this year was August the 13th. I'm not sure what happens if you book it after, bar the extra £50 cost. I guess you definitely wouldn't get your first choice exam location. Normal GAMSAT fee is £192.

I think Newcastle is pretty hot on the UKCAT score. You'll need to meet the pre-med admissions requirements for Cambridge so double check these. SGUL is obviously GAMSAT (and work experience). No idea on Bristol.
Reply 996
apotoftea
You'll definitely need hospital work experience and if you can't get it, have you thought about hospital volunteering? Otherwise when you get asked why medicine and how do you know it's the right choice for you questions you won't have anything to go on.

One assumes you meet the A-level entry requirements for Southampton? Also they're very hot on the PS given they don't interview.

QUOTE]

I've been trying to get in at the hosp for months :s-smilie: I have passes in A level chem and AS bio... just lol... have spent months visiting myrelative in hospital/hospice til she died, which is how i know...I'm just trying to find something else to justify it...thats enough of a reason for me but probably wont be for someone else... I'm on the case,

Thanks guys! x
I've just been told by the SFE call centre people that I won't be eligible for a fee's loan as I have an existing degree, despite me throwing in the 'It's a level 7 qualification' argument.

I know I'm going to have to go down the appeal route, as the people at the call centre only ever tell you the generic info.

SFE have been a total disgrace so far in my application process. I've actually got paperwork saying my loan has been approved etc (including the fee's loan) only to get a pathetic e-mail from their complaints team on Sunday morning that all of that is wrong and everything is being assessed again, and bascially removed from my entitlement.
Hi I am in a similar situation and I wondered if anyone could advise me about work experience. I have been my husbands full time carer since my last year at university when he was diagnosed with cancer. I have gained so much experience over the last 3 years including administering daily injections, caring for post surgical wounds ( large incisions not just little cuts!) etc. Aswell as being thrown in the deep end with phase 1 drug units and clinical trials! The doctors also know I want to study medicine and have let me observe some procedures he has had done such as skin biopsies and chest drains etc. Do you think that this experience is strong enough for some where like Kings and st georges or do I need to gain experinece in other areas other than oncology? I dont really know anyone who has every studied medicine so Im kind of stuck now! Thanks for reading, Lauren :-)
I've given up trying to get a fee loan...hopefully they'll have it sorted by next year (although I won't be holding my breath!)
I just rang them and the reason we've been paid our loans so early is a new thing so we have time to buy books etc

Latest

Trending

Trending