The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hi guys,

my referee has never done this before so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their reference to give her an idea or what to write? You can edit out any personal info it's just the general format etc she needs.

Thanks
Reply 121
I can't even get hold of my referee!!! I'm so stressed, only 10 days before the deadline.
Reply 122
lil_miss
Hi guys,

my referee has never done this before so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their reference to give her an idea or what to write? You can edit out any personal info it's just the general format etc she needs.

Thanks

There's some information on what should be included in this post
GodspeedGehenna
It's more the fact that they specifiy paid experience, to be honest. As much as I would love to get a HCA job or similar, it's pretty difficult when you can only offer part-time hours.

They don't specify paid in the prospectus or on the website for this year...

I mean I'm in paid work anyway so I haven't really checked, but I can't imagine they'd be that bothered about something they haven't specified in any of their literature :dontknow:
icantthinkofacoolusername
They don't specify paid in the prospectus or on the website for this year...

I mean I'm in paid work anyway so I haven't really checked, but I can't imagine they'd be that bothered about something they haven't specified in any of their literature :dontknow:

Well, I was just referring to a previous post in this thread where a member said the admissions confirmed it must be paid.

Not sure if it's true or not. I can't imagine it being.
GodspeedGehenna
Well, I was just referring to a previous post in this thread where a member said the admissions confirmed it must be paid.

Not sure if it's true or not. I can't imagine it being.

Id say your right

How to Get a Place

All entrants are selected on the basis of academic performance and personal qualities judged from the application form and at interview. Leicester Medical School is highly rated, so competition for places is keen. All applicants applying to Leicester Medical School are required to take the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT). The test helps Universities widen access and make fairer choices amongst the many highly qualified applicants who apply for medical degree programmes. Full information is available at the UKCAT website: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/home/.
We are seeking men and women from all backgrounds who will have a thoughtful, caring and compassionate approach to medical practice. During a structured interview with a member of staff and a senior medical student, we will judge your ability to communicate, how considered and realistic is your motivation for medicine, and your personal qualities such as determination, interest in people and potential capacity to cope with stress.
Gaining an interview depends on academic achievement and evidence of motivation towards a career in medicine. For school leavers we expect high grades in appropriate A-Levels or equivalent. For the four-year graduate entry course you will need to have a first class or good upper second class honours degree in any discipline and with experience of postgraduate employment in a caring role. International students are normally only considered for the five year course. All applications must be made through UCAS.

Can be found here http://www.le.ac.uk/ugprospectus/courses/medicine/main.html
Reply 126
The exact email from Leicester admissions:
Work experience for A101 course must be post-graduate, for a minimum of a year in a caring role, as paid full-time employment following graduation.

Wish it wasn't the case as i really wanted to apply there, but that's what i was told
Reply 127
I wouldn't bother with Imperial GEP with a UKCAT of 640 - they like at least 680 unfortunately. Kings are a bit less stringent but they put everyone in order or UKCAT score and take the top X% or top X people, so the higher the better, it all depends on how other applicants do!
Reply 128
lil_miss
I wouldn't bother with Imperial GEP with a UKCAT of 640 - they like at least 680 unfortunately. Kings are a bit less stringent but they put everyone in order or UKCAT score and take the top X% or top X people, so the higher the better, it all depends on how other applicants do!

Thanks, already ruled it out last night after i read that ridiculous checklist. Looks like the uni's have decided my choices for me :p:
Nowi just have to take a chance, there's no other way.:o:
Well, it looks like I won't be applying for Medicine this year afterall.....:frown:

Unfortunately because I failed 2 modules from last year, I have to retake them along with my third year modules..and that means I'm enrolled on too many credits. My tutor said that the only way I can graduate with Honours is if I leave my dissertation till next year. I am so gutted.

I am even more gutted because when I emailed Aberdeen, they said my application would not likely be considered, as I would be taking more than the usual time to get my degree.

Obviously Im disappointed in myself, but there must be some way I can improve my chances. Maybe, during my dissertation year, I could do an Open University postgrad course....?
If all your doing in that year is a dissertation you could get a full time job in healthcare...

Personally i think that's going to put you at a better advantage than a postgrad.
Shockley
Well, it looks like I won't be applying for Medicine this year afterall.....:frown:

I feel your pain Shockley...it sucks having to wait longer than you planned :frown:
Have you done an HCA job already? This would be your best way to spent the extra year, without a doubt.
LatinMachine
I feel your pain Shockley...it sucks having to wait longer than you planned :frown:
Have you done an HCA job already? This would be your best way to spent the extra year, without a doubt.

I'm going to apply for HCA training after xmas once my exams are out the way. I've also looked into research assistant posts, I see that you are one yourself, how did you get into it?
Shockley
I'm going to apply for HCA training after xmas once my exams are out the way.

:s-smilie: I didnt do my training until after i got the job and even after that it took a while until my training was organised!
Reply 134
I am considering applying for Graduate Medicine. I did not get in the first time round and ended up doing Biochemistry 2nd year atm! It really knocked me down when I did not get in - the hardest thing was it was not in my hands.

Anyway are their any specific that I should do now. Anyone actually a Grad Medic? How did you decide where to apply and how tough is it really??
I am considering applying for Graduate Medicine. I did not get in the first time round and ended up doing Biochemistry 2nd year atm! It really knocked me down when I did not get in - the hardest thing was it was not in my hands.

Anyway are their any specific that I should do now. Anyone actually a Grad Medic? How did you decide where to apply and how tough is it really??

What do you think let your application down the most? How is biomed by the way? :smile:
Reply 136
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
What do you think let your application down the most? How is biomed by the way? :smile:

I got offers from Kings and Imperial. What let me down were my grades. I was on course for AAA but missed out after not doing my last exams.

Its biochemistry by the way. :p: Yes its nice, not what I want to do but I think I've come to terms with that. I have been offered a consultancy role after I have finished my degree. So I am thinking should I do that or apply for Grad Medicine.
Ugh. Work experience schemes that are only open to sixthform students make me facepalm. I don't see why their intake is restricted, considering doing such is equally as essential for graduate applicants.
GodspeedGehenna
Ugh. Work experience schemes that are only open to sixthform students make me facepalm. I don't see why their intake is restricted, considering doing such is equally as essential for graduate applicants.

maybe. but due to age you have it a lot easier, HCA work, more volunteer places avaliable, jobs..care homes etc
Subcutaneous
maybe. but due to age you have it a lot easier, HCA work, more volunteer places avaliable, jobs..care homes etc

Not really.

Volunteering: Age not really a big problem. I've never seen any positions that require 18+

HCA: Tough. Very few want to take on full-time (non-medicine) students. There are zero part-time positions within a 25 mile radius of me, and the few bank positions that come along require a year or two of previous HCA experience. I would certainly love to work as a HCA, however.

Care homes: Same as above recently. I had an interview for a Care Assistant, and as soon as I told them I was a student, the whole mood changed completely. I'm just not capable of offering them the hours they need.

Latest

Trending

Trending