The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Captshiznit
I don't get all these medicine vs dentistry threads.... what the ****?

I've been meaning to ask this. People keep saying, Oh, might not get into medicine, I'll do dentistry instead?
They're completely separate!
Reply 1381
Saf786
I was having a look around my other options and saw medicine and dentistry, ive would be happy with any of these. I didnt initlally have these two in mind as i was hopin to do pharmacy but now look a good option. So what do u think?

For both med and dentistry u need work exp, but dont really have it even though i worked at Boots in summer so this might be useful.

So any tips and where i shud apply and what to do next.
Cheers

I mean you might as well order a random uni prospectus and just 'eenie meenie miney moe' your way through the whole prospectus, why just restrict yourself to those 2 courses. :rolleyes:

I despise all those who want to do either medicine or dentistry, they don't know what either career entails and don't deserve to do neither of them. I suggest you get some work experience and research a bit about them.
OK...so I decided to write to the admissions staff at the universities offering the 6 year entry routes into medicine.

I listed all my qualifications to date and asked whether I have the right entry requirements for the courses.

I don't suppose I can do anything more than this apart from finish my personal statement-hope I get some more recent work experience and await their judgement...albeit impatiently...

:frown:

it's a tough life...
2bIncognito
OK...so I decided to write to the admissions staff at the universities offering the 6 year entry routes into medicine.

I listed all my qualifications to date and asked whether I have the right entry requirements for the courses.

I don't suppose I can do anything more than this apart from finish my personal statement-hope I get some more recent work experience and await their judgement...albeit impatiently...

it's a tough life...

Hey, let us know what they reply with. I'm a non-science grad also (Law) so would be interested to hear what they say. :smile:
Will do :biggrin:
thestonerovers
Hey, let us know what they reply with. I'm a non-science grad also (Law) so would be interested to hear what they say. :smile:

Welcome fellow Law student.
OK so far for either 5 or 6 year courses the replies I have received are:

Manchester: No, need BBB at A-level
Bristol: No, need BBB at A-level
Cardiff: No, academic score not high enough

Not holding much hope from the others either-now i need to know which universities don't look at A-level grades and maybe I will have to re-apply next year having done the GAMSTA, BMAT and UKCAT.

*gamsat
2bIncognito
OK so far for either 5 or 6 year courses the replies I have received are:

Manchester: No, need BBB at A-level
Bristol: No, need BBB at A-level
Cardiff: No, academic score not high enough

Not holding much hope from the others either-now i need to know which universities don't look at A-level grades and maybe I will have to re-apply next year having done the GAMSTA, BMAT and UKCAT.

Urghh all three, nasty. Although BMAT's supposedly GCSE level :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
You guys got any good links for help to write a personal statement for medicine? what you need to include etc etc

Just sorting out my ucas and starting to write it up now, got a month so decided it's time to crack on with it following the GAMSAT.
Captshiznit
You guys got any good links for help to write a personal statement for medicine? what you need to include etc etc

Just sorting out my ucas and starting to write it up now, got a month so decided it's time to crack on with it following the GAMSAT.

Don't give up! How gutted would you be if you find your score is really really good and you've not applied? :poke:

Re: PSs - I believe it's the bog standard why Medicine? Info/what you've learnt from your voluntary work, extra-curricula stuff, how uni has offered you the developed skills needed etc?

Happily stand corrected though :smile:
Urgh anyone else done crap on the 600 question book and ok on the actual test
brokenangel
Urgh anyone else done crap on the 600 question book and ok on the actual test

I'm hoping they have :yep: How's the prep going?

I just cannot get the Abstract reasoning into my head :no:
(edited 13 years ago)
apotoftea

This is what I previously suggested and it seemed to help a few people:

Pick the least busiest square and isolate one variable first. Say you spot all squares in the left set have an arrow. Find the quietest square and very literally note what is going on when that arrow is, say, pointing up. Make a theory based on that observation, e.g. when the arrow is pointing up, the other shape is black. Then test it by comparing it to another square in that set with an up arrow.

If it disconfirms it, return to your quiet square and try and make another theory to test. If it confirms it, check another square while also ensuring that you have spotted all of the rules. (E.g. when the arrow is down, there are two white shapes).

Chances are, the other set will share a similar rule but reversed, e.g. when the arrow is down the other shape is black.

Also keep in mind disconfirming a theory is faster than confirming it, although human nature dictates you will be more keen to find confirming evidence than disconfirming.
GodspeedGehenna
This is what I previously suggested and it seemed to help a few people:

Pick the least busiest square and isolate one variable first. Say you spot all squares in the left set have an arrow. Find the quietest square and very literally note what is going on when that arrow is, say, pointing up. Make a theory based on that observation, e.g. when the arrow is pointing up, the other shape is black. Then test it by comparing it to another square in that set with an up arrow.

If it disconfirms it, return to your quiet square and try and make another theory to test. If it confirms it, check another square while also ensuring that you have spotted all of the rules. (E.g. when the arrow is down, there are two white shapes).

Chances are, the other set will share a similar rule but reversed, e.g. when the arrow is down the other shape is black.

Also keep in mind disconfirming a theory is faster than confirming it, although human nature dictates you will be more keen to find confirming evidence than disconfirming.

I get some of them but others I just stare blankly at them :doh: (Kinda like the GAMSAT really!)
apotoftea

I went through the practice questions and made a list of how they worked, and then added a few more that they could be. Number of sides seems to be quite a common one.
Reply 1396
If you have a first or upper second degree in biomed but it took you five years to graduate, What are your chances of getting into GEM? Do you have a chance or should you do a master first and then apply to GEM?
Reply 1397
nadish
If you have a first or upper second degree in biomed but it took you five years to graduate, What are your chances of getting into GEM? Do you have a chance or should you do a master first and then apply to GEM?

You meet the criteria academically so I wouldn't have thought there is an issue, particularly if there were mitigating circumstances (if the course was full-time but you took breaks). Studying part-time is acceptable; I know someone who got their degree with the OU and took several years to get it as they were working full-time and they still got two offers.
Reply 1398
thestonerovers
Thanks, I've sent a few (very lazy and generic) emails out to the big exam boards asking for information relating to the practical side of their courses. Hopefully I'll get an idea from any replies as to the chances of self-teaching.

One new option with self-teaching is Bright Futures which is a tutorial college in London. Edexcel has accepted it as an 'international centre' so they are able to offer the international specification of Edexcel's A-level Biology, Chemistry and Physics specifications. This means no practical exams in terms of lab work but instead a written paper on practical skills for AS and A2 for each subject. The downside with Bright Futures is that they are expensive for exam entry but to cut the cost you can always enter the 'normal' written papers elsewhere and just enter for the 'practical alternative' written papers with them.
Reply 1399
Thank you, It helps to know I hae a chance!

Latest

Trending

Trending