The Student Room Group

Oxford History Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

hi Lauren - I did the HAT this time last year (am now a first year at Oxford) so if you, or anyone else who joins this thread, have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

In terms of preparation, I'm sure you'll have seen the Oxford advice is "don't prepare"... I would recommend looking at the past papers and mark schemes (available on the History Faculty website) just so you are familiar with the paper layout and so you get a general idea of what they are looking for.

There's absolutely no need to be terrified - you just need to score around 50% to get an interview, and while a good HAT score can help your application, your interview/essay will be much more important in getting you an offer! Therefore even if you feel the HAT went badly, try not to stress too much about it - it really isn't the most vital thing.

During the HAT, do take your time to think about your answers, and plan them out using the scrap paper you get - it will show more thought and intelligence in your answers. Look at the information they give you and don't be afraid to write down your ideas even if they seem silly (especially for the last source question. It will be random and totally new, just have fun guessing what it might mean!)

Lastly, good luck! :smile:
Reply 781
Original post by laurenlovespink
Hi everyone!
I was looking around and people have been talking about the HAT in all different places, so I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread especially for it!

How much preparation has everyone been doing?
And is everyone just as terrified as I am?

xxx

Hey,
I was quite terrified a week ago, but I think the more I've looked at past papers, the more I've realised that it's really not something you can prepare for, which has kind of calmed me down a little :tongue:.
I've looked over some of my AS and GCSE stuff briefly, and planned answers to most of the past papers. I might just quickly flick through everything again tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be alright :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 782
Original post by Froodles
Hey,
I was quite terrified a week ago, but I think the more I've looked at past papers, the more I've realised that it's really not something you can prepare for, which has kind of calmed me down a little :tongue:.
I've looked over some of my AS and GCSE stuff briefly, and planned answers to most of the past papers. I might just quickly flick through everything again tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be alright :smile:
Good luck!

Same here...I've done a couple of the past papers but apart from giving me an idea of what to expect, I doubt it'll help that much... As you said it's not something you can prepare for! Good luck with it! What college are you applying to?
Reply 783
Original post by hiphiphooray

hi Lauren - I did the HAT this time last year (am now a first year at Oxford) so if you, or anyone else who joins this thread, have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

In terms of preparation, I'm sure you'll have seen the Oxford advice is "don't prepare"... I would recommend looking at the past papers and mark schemes (available on the History Faculty website) just so you are familiar with the paper layout and so you get a general idea of what they are looking for.

There's absolutely no need to be terrified - you just need to score around 50% to get an interview, and while a good HAT score can help your application, your interview/essay will be much more important in getting you an offer! Therefore even if you feel the HAT went badly, try not to stress too much about it - it really isn't the most vital thing.

During the HAT, do take your time to think about your answers, and plan them out using the scrap paper you get - it will show more thought and intelligence in your answers. Look at the information they give you and don't be afraid to write down your ideas even if they seem silly (especially for the last source question. It will be random and totally new, just have fun guessing what it might mean!)

Ahhh are you serious?! The passmark is 50%? That just made my day haha :smile: Did you find two hours was enough time? Have you got any other tips? I could do with all the help I can get :P Also, are you enjoying the course and Oxford in general?
Reply 784
I am really worried about the open question 1c. My studies are mostly about political systems and some, but not much economics developmet. What if they ask me something totally unrelated, let say some gender issues or whatever...
HAT test??

Reply 786
Original post by ritchie888
HAT test??

i want the sorting hat more than Oxford test:rolleyes:
Reply 787
Original post by RPM1
Same here...I've done a couple of the past papers but apart from giving me an idea of what to expect, I doubt it'll help that much... As you said it's not something you can prepare for! Good luck with it! What college are you applying to?

I'm applying for Lincoln . What about you? I probably should be revising instead of getting distracted by TSR and tumblr, but I'm struggling to motivate myself :s-smilie: I can't wait till it's over :smile:
I'm applying for Lincoln . What about you? I probably should be revising instead of getting distracted by TSR and tumblr, but I'm struggling to motivate myself :s-smilie: I can't wait till it's over :smile:

I'm applying for Christ Church!

I should be revising too haha, but it is difficult to revise!

Thank you for your reply, this was very useful!

I am just worried because some of the past papers I have found fairly easy to complete, whilst the 2008 paper in particularly was impossible. This was due to the fact that 1c was difficult to relate to any period of time I have studied!

Praying for a question which relates well to a particular time period I have studied!
Reply 790
Hi everyone!
I was looking around and people have been talking about the HAT in all different places, so I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread especially for it!

How much preparation has everyone been doing?
And is everyone just as terrified as I am?

xxx

Hey Lauren, in terms of preparation i've just looked through the papers. You can't really revise/prepare for it so I'm just hoping the questions are good.
Totally agree about 2008 being difficult though!
And finally, yes I am completely terrified........ :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RPM1
Ahhh are you serious?! The passmark is 50%? That just made my day haha :smile: Did you find two hours was enough time? Have you got any other tips? I could do with all the help I can get :P Also, are you enjoying the course and Oxford in general?

2 hours was plenty, I actually really enjoyed the test as you're not panicking about remembering specific dates but just writing down your ideas and thinking about something totally random and interesting (e.g. my source was on cannibalism, excellent stuff :wink: )

No other tips, really, apart from try to enjoy it, don't overthink it (if you have an idea, write it down, don't be distracting yourself by thinking that your idea is stupid, or worrying about other things you should include...) and as soon as it's over, forget it! No point in stressing too much.

The course is fantastic, I am really enjoying the British paper and my other module is 'Approaches to History' which is quite challenging, but still a lot of fun as you get to discuss a totally different way of looking at history from the traditional 'read a source, think about it objectively, trawl through loads of previous historians' work, write a balanced account' approach. In fact I'm enjoying history and Oxford more and more each week (tutorials in particular are awesome and not at all scary - same goes for your interviews, they really will be enjoyable, promise!) - so keep going, all your pains will definitely be worth it. :smile:
Thank you for your reply, this was very useful!

I am just worried because some of the past papers I have found fairly easy to complete, whilst the 2008 paper in particularly was impossible. This was due to the fact that 1c was difficult to relate to any period of time I have studied!

Praying for a question which relates well to a particular time period I have studied!

If you do get a weird question, don't panic - try to be creative in linking it to whatever you've studied. (I realise how unhelpful that sounds, but remember that they try to set broad questions which will be manageable for all candidates studying various themes/time periods.)

So for 2008 - you are told that "political ideas" include religion, society, race and nationality. Essentially you can talk about any aspect of your period - the monarchy/government, the dominant religion, class conflicts, racial conflicts... there must be something there that was covered by what you've studied! You just have to be a bit creative. And never underestimate the power of BS-ing :wink:

EDIT: they do say it's not supposed to be "easy". And as I have been told since coming here, if you find something easy then you probably didn't put enough effort in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 793
I think the most you can do for it is to check out the past papers and have a think about how you would approach each question. They seem to follow similar patterns each year.
All I've done is have a quick look through with my history teacher, who said don't pay much attention to historical knowledge, just try and make a good argument.
Reply 794
2 hours was plenty, I actually really enjoyed the test as you're not panicking about remembering specific dates but just writing down your ideas and thinking about something totally random and interesting (e.g. my source was on cannibalism, excellent stuff :wink: )

No other tips, really, apart from try to enjoy it, don't overthink it (if you have an idea, write it down, don't be distracting yourself by thinking that your idea is stupid, or worrying about other things you should include...) and as soon as it's over, forget it! No point in stressing too much.

The course is fantastic, I am really enjoying the British paper and my other module is 'Approaches to History' which is quite challenging, but still a lot of fun as you get to discuss a totally different way of looking at history from the traditional 'read a source, think about it objectively, trawl through loads of previous historians' work, write a balanced account' approach. In fact I'm enjoying history and Oxford more and more each week (tutorials in particular are awesome and not at all scary - same goes for your interviews, they really will be enjoyable, promise!) - so keep going, all your pains will definitely be worth it. :smile:

Thanks so much for your help :smile: I'm just looking over as many different aspects of my American history notes from this year, I should (hopefully!) be able to use something out of it in the 1C) question.

What most attracted me to History at Oxford was actually the British History course! So it's great to hear that it's interesting :biggrin: Yeah I'm going to have to try really hard to keep calm just before the test...I can't wait till it's over! If I don't manage it then it's a sign that Oxford isn't meant for me :tongue: (That's what I keep telling myself anyway haha) What college are you at? :smile:
Reply 795

I'm applying to Exeter :smile: Yeaaah it's so hard to sit down to revision for something that you can't really revise for...(does that even make sense?! :P) Good luck anyway and don't forget to report back afterwards!!!
Reply 796
Original post by ritchie888
HAT test??

I wish!! :rolleyes:
Reply 797
Original post by RPM1
I'm applying to Exeter :smile: Yeaaah it's so hard to sit down to revision for something that you can't really revise for...(does that even make sense?! :P) Good luck anyway and don't forget to report back afterwards!!!

Yeah, it makes sense- I feel exactly the same way. I think I'm one of the people who's going to be avoiding TSR like the plague afterwards, I'm afraid. Going on it would probably make me re-evaluate everything I'd written in the test and make me feel ridiculously insecure. I might come back once it's calmed down a little, though :wink:
Reply 798
Yes - everyone must come back here afterwards!

Did anyone go on the HAT Preparation day? I couldn't go - £200 is too much for one day of revision for me.

Was it useful? Anyone want to share any tips or secrets :wink:

I didn't even know there was such a thing...?! :eek:
I thought we weren't allowed to do source work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending