The Student Room Group

Joining societies in your second year

I loved my first year of uni but felt I could have got a lot more out of it, my only friends were from halls really cos I barely joined any societies. The only one I joined was the Law society (am a Law student) and that was because I felt I had to, and when I went to the events all I did was hang around with the people I already knew doing Law....

Was thinking about going to the freshers fair and going a bit mental and joining loads, but was just wondering if I will be the only new person to these societies that aren't freshers? And also, I know this is a bit of a "fresher question" to ask, but because I am not used to societies, is it worth it....

I joined a fair few in the second year. You'll be fine.
Go for it! :redface:) I don't think it matters, the more members the better and if you're experienced at Uni Life, you'll be great to have around!
I was thinking of joining a society @ my uni too - Athletics. But I will be a 3rd year! :s-smilie: So I too am abit like ''errrm''.

Perhaps email the ''boss'' people for the society, and tell them about your concerns?? Its what I plan to do when I go to Freshers, well talk to the leader people :smile:
Reply 4
Do it, I'm gonna be a third year and I'm going to join a new society and a sport.....I've promised myself!
Reply 5
I will be; I'm sure it will be fine.
Reply 6
I am sure there won't be a problem; people might not even realise you're not a first year. Go for it if you think you'll enjoy it :smile:
Reply 7
I haven't attended university yet, but I don't see what societies have to do with what year you are in? I personally wouldn't matter at all, it's even nicer to meet ppl in societies who already gained uni experience.
Reply 8
I'm a second year and I'm going to join a sport society as I know I've got enough free time this year. Get back into the Netball again :biggrin:
You don't have to be a Fresher to join societies, I joined debating society in 2nd year. Noone minds at all :smile:
Reply 10
Joined plenty of new societies in both second and third year. It really isn't a problem.
Reply 11
As above, it really doesn't matter what year you are in. Loads of people on four year courses, for example, join societies in their fourth year after they find their friends on three year cousres have graduated.
Sooz
As above, it really doesn't matter what year you are in. Loads of people on four year courses, for example, join societies in their fourth year after they find their friends on three year cousres have graduated.

Like me. Also I didn't join that many socities during my first year. As long as you balance your schedule you will be fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending