The Student Room Group

My Uni Regret

Hello, I need advice and help please. I am in the second year currently. However, I am having regrets because I feel I have wasted first year, especially 2022 fresher week since I didn't know about non-course events until the Thursday of that week, so I spent much of my time in the library instead of socializing. I feel like I should have talked to more people / made friends / joined more societies in the first year, and I am filling up with regrets for not doing so. Can anyone help me please?
get yourself out there now, then. start small. say hi to your classmates. if anything, say that you feel like you wish you did more in first year. ask them if they know of any good pubs, clubs or bars (whichever you feel most comfortable with), or look on socials and find an event you'd like to propose going to with some and ask if they want to join. ask your classmates which societies they are in, and express interest to them if they sound fun to you - ask when their next social is perhaps. see if any societies have taster sessions or if there's a society/freshers fair you can attend (normally you don't need to be a fresher to go!). don't push yourself too hard, or it'll end up being more of a chore than enjoyable, and that defeats the point of going to uni in the first place - uni and university are two different things if you want to look at it like that and it's just about balancing the two to your liking. I barely drink but normally my friends and I do an evening cinema trip followed by a cocktail or two where we discuss the film (we love analysing them haha). also asking classmates if they want to join you to get lunch or grab a coffee after class is fine too.
Reply 2
Original post by Quailking
Hello, I need advice and help please. I am in the second year currently. However, I am having regrets because I feel I have wasted first year, especially 2022 fresher week since I didn't know about non-course events until the Thursday of that week, so I spent much of my time in the library instead of socializing. I feel like I should have talked to more people / made friends / joined more societies in the first year, and I am filling up with regrets for not doing so. Can anyone help me please?

Societies are not just for the first years, definitely get adding yourself to the groups and giving them a go :smile:
Original post by Quailking

Just go to Freshers in your second year and sign up! talk to more people / make friends / join more societies.
Original post by Anonymous
get yourself out there now, then. start small. say hi to your classmates. if anything, say that you feel like you wish you did more in first year. ask them if they know of any good pubs, clubs or bars (whichever you feel most comfortable with), or look on socials and find an event you'd like to propose going to with some and ask if they want to join. ask your classmates which societies they are in, and express interest to them if they sound fun to you - ask when their next social is perhaps. see if any societies have taster sessions or if there's a society/freshers fair you can attend (normally you don't need to be a fresher to go!). don't push yourself too hard, or it'll end up being more of a chore than enjoyable, and that defeats the point of going to uni in the first place - uni and university are two different things if you want to look at it like that and it's just about balancing the two to your liking. I barely drink but normally my friends and I do an evening cinema trip followed by a cocktail or two where we discuss the film (we love analysing them haha). also asking classmates if they want to join you to get lunch or grab a coffee after class is fine too.

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending