The Student Room Group

Hows it going- A2 AQA B students??

Just wondered how you are all progessing with your revision? Im so pissed off at myself for leaving it so late! Would be alot happier if I had time to cover all topics but hey, il take the risk!
So this is what I covered so far:

1.Hazards (Burgraly/Aids)
2.L.A multiple Hazards
3 Hazards- Earthquakes and Volcanoes
4.ITCZ
5.Italy-Core Periphery
6.Newbury-Conflict over resource

By covered I mean got my notes down to just a couple of pages. For revision I just get down to the bare points and keep rewriting from memory till I get it!

Next on the agenda is
1. Africa (I will hate that)
2.Tectonics, because if Earthquakes as a hazard come up I reckon they'l throw a cheeky one in about tectonics!

Now I know im taking a big risk. But they may be the only topics im gunna look at!

So how is it going for you? What you struggling on and how selective are you being?

Good luck again!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Kate,
likewise i wish id started sooner but i was concentrating on my maths so only started geography yesterday :frown:

if its any consolation i think you have started with EXACTLY the right topics there, ive looked at the past papers n worked out a topic prioritsing thing:
so if your short for time i would reccomend following this priority:
ive also included what i think are the best case studies for some of them.

1) hazards (multi hazard environment, volcanoes, E.Qs, hurrincanes, AIDs, Burglary)
2) local conflict (newbury bypass)
3) Core - periphery (china)
4) Africa's wet n dry
5) international migration - multicultural societies
6) plate tectonics

There is some question whether or not the following will come up due to their jan 2005 appearance but i dont think its wise to neglect them totally:

7) Cliamte change since the iceage + evidence for it
8)Groupings/separatists (EU, Basques)
9) TNCs NICs (Nissan, South Korea)
10) soils and vegetation progressions

so far ive only done hazards but its the biggest chapter. i did 7 condenced a4 brainstorms for them and theyre now celetaped to my tv screen lol.

im not doing 10 at all cos its sooooo boring and id always go for the alternative option anyway.
Reply 2
Sounds like you on the right path milz, even if we are a bit late to start!, the last four topics you mentioned, I agree it aint wise to neglect fully but i really dont have the time. I got 2 law and a sociology paper the next week also.

Will maybe look over migration,but i might be able to wing it if that comes up. Seems one of the more straight forward topics that you could pick up some marks without knowing alot
Reply 3
I'm not looking forward to this exam at all :'(
I've only done africa & itcz, natural hazards, soils and pleistonce ice age (uk), I'm hoping I'll remember it all but when it comes to technical terms and figures I can't remember them well :frown:

Just trying to find my burglary case study right now, I have neglected this unit somewhat with my revision, also like others have left it somewhat last minute, kept thinking oh I have a month, 3 weeks, 2 weeks, 1 week lol.
Reply 4
Lawrence what burglary case study you using?
Reply 5
hey. iv just read onto your site. Im also taking geography..o m g i am dreading it. I also had the same idea about just focusing on certain subjects...until this morning and took my phys paper. everybody had the same idea about predicting what was going to come up, thing is,..they were exactly the same questions as jan. yea i know its not the same thing, but justa slight word of warning.
also, a good case study for burgulary is Oxford.
Reply 6
I am using the 'defensible space' theory which uses the case study 'Coal Pit Mews, Batly, W. Yorkshire'

Here's a summary, that should help you :smile:

You would first need to define burglary

+ removal goods from propery
+ damage caused when gaining entry
+ invasion of privacy
+ pyschological damage such as barricading yourself in property (become recluse) and moving away

talk about insurance companies 'prediciting' crime, higher premium, more chance of crime

Case Study
the 1960s tower blocks were poorly designed and provided little sense of community with easy getaway routes for burglars.

Secured by design is supported by the police, in 'Coal pits Mew, Batly, W.Yorkshire'

+ removed open spaces that provided easy escape routes, removed alleyways

+ every house overlooked by least one other property

+ individuals entering estate in full view

+ Tall trees removed, new trees with foilage under 2 meters, made sure did not obsure streetlights etc.

+ colour change on the roads/ pavement (defensible, private- pyschological idea of crossing a threshold

+ Back of houses in estate 1.8m fence

+ clearly # houses, utility meters in clear view, reduced ops theft from bogus officials

+ Car park spaces front each property, see cars

+ Layout encouraged sense community, i.e. not that private!

+ doors have multi-point deadlocking (?!), laminated glass, reinforced doorframes

+ Windows w/ security features, key-operated locks, reinforced frames

+ Security lighting, esp. on back gardens

+ Intruder alarms on every property (visible)

Survery W. Yorkshire

+ 26% less crimes SBD areas

+ residents in SBD felt more secure

- burglary merely displaced to other regions in W. Yorkshire that do not have same security/ design features

Use that as your main case study, if you're stuck/ have time you could say that police offer inscribings of your postcode on property for free such as on bikes/ mobiles meaning goods cannot be sold on as easily, use any local town as your example.

Hope that helps, I thought I might as well type it all up :smile:
Reply 7
Woah, you people seem to well know your stuff!
Lawrence thats a great case study (.......quickly steals ideas!!)
I neglected geog today to do Law work, but coming back on TSR im realising I got sooo much to do! Still havent even looked at the synoptic booklet!
Reply 8
Just thought i would update my progress (I like to think you are all interested lol)

So finally got on to the synoptic, lots to take in but im actually feeling ok about it. Everyone has posted great ideas on the synoptic thread which are being a big help. Im actually real glad its for more UMS, it will definately help me out at least.
Beacuse the riskiness I have taken missing out lots of topics for Unit 4, if it all goes horribly wrong at least there is some comfort knowing the synoptic should get us all some marks.
Just wish the papers wernt back to back. Would prefer synoptic in morning then unit 4 in afternoon, but hey, never mind
Reply 9
I would also prefer synoptic paper first because i think i will do significantly better on that paper. Also if the GGB4 predictions we have made backfire on us, the annoyance and feeling of omg AQA have F'ed me in the A would have a phycholocical impact affecting our performance on GGB5. (i dont know if anyone else is like me and even after a paper is done will spend ages figuring out how well you've done, even tho its too late to change anything!)

I dont mind the fact they are back to back gets them out of the way faster. n i hate the 30mins build up before the exam, i wouldnt like that twice in the day lol.

if anyones interested on my progress report: ive decided to completely neglect the topics which were on jan05, i know them well enough anyway to get at least 12/25 i think, if i was unlucky. and im not doin soils due to ultimate boringness of them. out of the others ive gone thru in very close detail all except plate tectonics which ill be doing later today.

as for GGB5 i think i know enough to get an high B or A on that paper. contributing to that threat has really helped.

as for GGB6, being an A level mathematician, i think that paper just takes the piss out of A level inteligence, but thats a good thing, guarenteed A with a brush up on the investigation work thursday nite.
Reply 10
milz
Also if the GGB4 predictions we have made backfire on us, the annoyance and feeling of omg AQA have F'ed me in the A would have a phycholocical impact affecting our performance on GGB5. (i dont know if anyone else is like me and even after a paper is done will spend ages figuring out how well you've done, even tho its too late to change anything!)
QUOTE]

Yeah I drive myself crazy after exams. I only ever realise the huge importance of them once im sat in the exam hall. Before that I always have a really casual attitude to them which is stupid
Reply 11
Just tried to write my core-periphery essay up in 45 minutes and barely finished the second bullet point :frown: Panic stations i think!!
Just started Geog today: did ITCZ/Africa this morning, about to start Plate Tectonics now and doing Migration & Multiple Hazards tomorrow. Will read through the casestudy powerpoints & textbook the night before.

I refuse to learn soils, ever.
Reply 13
I join in everyones refusel to learn soils!
biomes might be important though, like the different natural environment that sperates them e.g. tundra (ice), cornifeous forest eg.(U.K.)
Reply 15
soils aren't that bad reaaaaally!I just revised them, and it all makes so much more sense the second time through.I find plate tectonics hard to learn though, just won't go in my head, all the different features,etc.
sorry just realised its AQA which is not my examining board. ignore^
Reply 17
ams_1
soils aren't that bad reaaaaally!I just revised them, and it all makes so much more sense the second time through.I find plate tectonics hard to learn though, just won't go in my head, all the different features,etc.

i agree!! soils are bad but when you understand them you feel like you have accomplished something lol
Reply 18
[QUOTE="kate86"]
milz
Also if the GGB4 predictions we have made backfire on us, the annoyance and feeling of omg AQA have F'ed me in the A would have a phycholocical impact affecting our performance on GGB5. (i dont know if anyone else is like me and even after a paper is done will spend ages figuring out how well you've done, even tho its too late to change anything!)
QUOTE]

Yeah I drive myself crazy after exams. I only ever realise the huge importance of them once im sat in the exam hall. Before that I always have a really casual attitude to them which is stupid

you seem like you already know they are important otherwise you wouldnt be getting stressed. im sure you will do ok :smile: best of luck to every body
Reply 19
For soils basically remember that stuff moves down in them when precipitation exceeds evapotranspiration, and that more stuff moves downwards the more that precipitation exceeds it. :smile: Remember that and you wont go far wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending