The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
most ridiculous thread ever. couldn't pay me to become american.
I think America's amazing and I'd love to be American. Plus, their accents are awesome :love:
amandacalifornia
^ Seriously. Reading through them just depresses me every time, and it's like ANY time I'm on here. Like I remember one time on the 4th of July, I saw this thread about how it was basically a "We Hate the UK Day." I mean, really?

I'm moving to the UK for a year in like 2 weeks and I don't need this. I really hate all the crap that gets talked about my nationality and my country on here. I don't want to know if some of the British people I meet will automatically assume I'm a cultureless idiot. And you know, it's funny. I don't know about you, but in my entire 20 years of life living in America, in an American family, I've never ONCE heard anyone say to someone else or to me, seriously or joking, "The UK sucks," "British people are crap/stupid," or anything to that effect. And especially not comments like, "The UK has cameras watching every public area in the country. Isn't that sooooo stupid according to our cultural standards?! Stupid, inferior 61 million people." If anything, though we definitely have our cultural and political differences, the vast majority of Americans have a genuine respect for the UK and British people, probably more so than any other country. I know I grew up idolizing the UK.
And I promise if there was a comparable American student site, we would not be criticizing, or even discussing, the UK and its people multiple times daily. I just don't understand why every thread remotely connected to America has to have these kinds of mean-spirited comments on it.

Ya, for the most part, Americans are very patriotic, but that doesn't mean it's because we hate you. And ya, we sometimes make dumb, light-hearted jokes about British teeth, the weather, or their stereotype of being socially reserved, but never anything truly offensive with the kind of deadly serious, unprovoked venom I see on here way too often, which I experienced for myself in real life the last time I was in the UK 4 years ago.
Fortunately, I know British people are not all the same. And if anyone's small-minded enough to not like me this upcoming year because my accent sounds "annoying" or I must be a "dumb Yank," then that's their own pathetic loss. It's fine to disagree with American politics, but seriously, just putting down 300 million people in a country the size of the European continent doesn't make you any smarter or better. So just get over yourself, grow up, and don't do it. I sincerely doubt 99% of the people doing it have spent any significant amount of time here.

I'm no less excited about living in the UK since I found this website a few months ago, and definitely no less proud of where I come from. I just had some illusions shattered, I guess.
I normally hate confrontation, and this will probably push my rep into the negatives, but whatever. I'd be disappointed in myself if I didn't say it.

Good post, I feel exactly the same.

Also it's a shame it was the last post on the page, so I'm quoting it to make it a bit more viewable. :p:
Reply 83
i'd rather be an iraqi
Unknown?
Because America have more money can make better quality media. Do you think the BBC would be able to produce lost or heroes?

do you think an american network would touch Torchwood as a production and not as 'imported' and tied to a successful franchise?
Reply 85
Why the F is this topic still going.

This is bound to develop into another boring USA vs UK thread.
Reply 86
eaf7s
I'm getting pretty sick of these threads and the fact that they turn into bash America threads.

How many of you have actually spent any amount of time there? Making the assumptions that you do based on "what you know" about America is like us saying that you all either speak the Queen's English and go fox hunting every weekend, or you all have a really bad Dick Van Dyke cockney accent. The media is way off in its portrayal of normal Americans and normal American life and culture.

It's every bit as ignorant as you all want to believe that Americans are...tbh, the two countries aren't all that different in terms of day-to-day life :wink: .

Yep i agree BUT you have to admit Americans do the same towards us.

Excessive patriotism is possibly the most annoying thing ever.

It would be great if everyone would settle for the fact that everywhere is different, and as they say differant strokes for differant folks. I'm not gunna lie i wouldnt wanna live in America, but it's not like i hate it.

Oh and people that bring up the Civil war, stereotypes and the annoying arguement of "well we invented this, so we are better than you" deserve to be shot.

But this crap tends to go round and round in circles and just gets plain annoying.

End of rant /
Reply 87
Not be...I never want to be American, completely happy being British. I also know people who have lived several places and they only place they left early was America!
Reply 88
emmie19
Oh yeah, forgot that one. And tbh beats most of MTV, doesn't it?

Talking of MTV, arn't they supposed to be making an American version of skins....but with no sex...or drugs...or swearing.

Doubt it will work tbh. But then again ever since they got rid of the original cast, Skins hasnt been as good. :mad:
Jarexi
Yep i agree BUT you have to admit Americans do the same towards us.

Not really...

Americans, widely unaware of how much anti-Americanism there is in the UK, actually love you. A lot.

Jarexi
Talking of MTV, arn't they supposed to be making an American version of skins....but with no sex...or drugs...or swearing.

Doubt it will work tbh. But then again ever since they got rid of the original cast, Skins hasnt been as good. :mad:

Wasn't Degrassi enough? :p:

Oh, that was the Canadians...
Reply 90
i would love to move out there eventually.

i prefer their way of living to over here. been three times now and off again next year :biggrin:
Reply 91
I do like their politics :colone:

I'd like to go over for a few months to america and then up to canada, but I couldn't live there. It's far too strange, like the food is huge and everything's just massive but there is no heritage nd it creeps me out :p:
Reply 92
I like America, but then again, 40% of Americans believe that they'll be lifted bodily to heaven at judgement day, which will occur in their lifetime. I doubt I could stand 40% of Americans. Not much Liberty - ever heard of the Patriot act. So many more murders, I don't wanna be shot. I mean no offense when I say I don't get Americans, and thats why I couldn't live with them. A country where the two biggest questions asked to politicians are 'are you pro life' and 'what religion are you'; a country where the leader can stand up and say 'God told me to' go to war and the people aplaude, seems like a bit of a joke to me. I respect them, but I don't get them.

AA is what sums up America to me - I don't know why, or how, but it does.
paella
Not much Liberty

:confused:

By the way.

Reply 94
OP, just because I appreciate some american music or films, it doesn't mean I want to become american! Most of the books I read are by English authors, a fair bit of the shows I watch on tv, my favourite food, etc are british.
Reply 95
I love Americans as people, I think as a nation they are probably the friendliest people I've ever met (although I did only go to Chicago for two weeks!) however the parts of the culture which are bad, are quite bad :frown:

The healthcare thing scares me, I don't understand why there's been such animosity towards it in the US? My family aren't very well off but when I was diagnosed with extremely mild scoliosis at 14, I was referred to a consultant straight away, given bone scans and an MRI scan as a precaution that there was nothing else there because of my symptoms (they cost around £1000!) and it didn't cost my family a penny.

The politicians also use religion as a tool to scare people into believing what they say because it's morally right. I agree with the fact we keep religion out of politics here because by doing that, it doesn't alienate those who don't follow your religion. I would much prefer to live in a multicultural society rather than one that puts the fear of God into you.

Apart from that though, the food, friendliness, space, money, culture and everything else there is amazing :biggrin:
Reply 96
Delta Usafa
Not really...

Americans, widely unaware of how much anti-Americanism there is in the UK, actually love you. A lot.

Ok well in my personal experience i'd have to disagree. Obviously the Americans i have met in person have never gone to me "god i hate your country, gtfo", but on the interwebs, where barriers seem to be dropped i'd say the hate was as equal to what Americans get on here.

To be specific i would say it was aimed at England rather than the UK as a whole, because despite them describing how much "Britain" sucks most of the time they mean England :p:
Reply 97
Delta Usafa
By the way.

Half of the CCTV cameras in the UK are not turned on. There is an illusion shared by some that every CCTV camera in the UK is government installed - most are installed by businesses to watch and safeguard their property.

Anyways, I meant that it was no longer a country that had more liberty than everywhere else, rather than it is not a liberal country.
Reply 98
Because Britain is a **** hole that is having its history culture and heritage **** on every day by the political elite. We get taxed too much, and paid too little.
Reply 99
I am much more happier being a Brit than an American. I would rather be German than American.

Latest

Trending

Trending