The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
WHITKA
hmmm really not sure about this now.... got A*A*AA but dunno whether to apply for computer science or not :s-smilie:

I'm just going into 3rd year Computer Science & with those grades I would definitely consider applying - the department has been trying to attract more applicants for quite some years now, after several years with somewhat small uptake. Last year my group was the smallest second year they'd had in about a decade (so much so that there were more third years than there were second years...). Also, if you happen to be a girl, expect to get a better offer than if you're a guy.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
lost eden
I'm just going into 3rd year Computer Science & with those grades I would definitely consider applying - the department has been trying to attract more applicants for quite some years now, after several years with somewhat small uptake. Last year my group was the smallest second year they'd had in about a decade (so much so that there were more third years than there were second years...). Also, if you happen to be a girl, expect to get a better offer than if you're a guy.

Allrighty thanks :smile: dont do maths though so will have to apply for Internet Computer Science
Reply 22
WHITKA
Allrighty thanks :smile: dont do maths though so will have to apply for Internet Computer Science

Not so fast! Unless they've majorly changed things, you don't need any post-16 maths qualifications. In fact, there is even a module that runs in first semester of first year called 'Applied Maths for Computer Science' if you don't have the A-level or Higher in maths.

Also, it doesn't really matter whether you apply for Computer Science or Internet Computer Science, as the first year is exactly the same & switching at a later date is utterly trivial.
Reply 23
I will be a first year Internet Computer Science student. May I face any problems in the future (for example, when choosing modules) if don't take Maths module in the first semester? :smile: Actually, I just want to study more interesting subjects :smile:
Reply 24
bix
I will be a first year Internet Computer Science student. May I face any problems in the future (for example, when choosing modules) if don't take Maths module in the first semester? :smile: Actually, I just want to study more interesting subjects :smile:

If you don't have A-level maths or Higher maths I think you *have* to do 'Applied Maths for Computer Science' in 1st semester of 1st year. It's only 10 credits though & most people usually take it in addition to their normal 60 credits for semester 1.
Reply 25
how competitive is St Andrews for mathematics? I will apply there regardless, but I'd be interested to know my chances.
Hi I'm going to apply for psychology at St Andrews but my PS is aimed mostly at medicine... Do you think i stand any chance? I'm doing IB now and my predicted result is about 44 points. I've also heard some preposterous gossip that you need to have contacts to get into Andrews. Is it true?
NastasyaFilipovna
Hi I'm going to apply for psychology at St Andrews but my PS is aimed mostly at medicine... Do you think i stand any chance? I'm doing IB now and my predicted result is about 44 points. I've also heard some preposterous gossip that you need to have contacts to get into Andrews. Is it true?

I have come across no evidence to support that. As with almost all students on this board, we have no real way of predicting your chances of getting an offer.

In terms of applicants per place, this states a figure of 10:1, but is not subject specific. This states over 10 applicants per place for Maths, and I'm afraid I can't spot a figure for Psychology.

For finding applicants per place, try Googling sensible things like 'applicants per place st andrews <subject>'. I'll be damned if I'm going to do that for every subject myself.
Reply 28
its 11:1 for Chemistry. Just incase anyone asks.
Reply 29
NastasyaFilipovna

To be honest, if you're applying for psychology but want to do medicine St Andrews will obviously detect that and you'll probably get rejected. There's 11 applications for every space so St Andrews only wants the really dedicated people in the courses.

As for the rumour you've heard, that's ridiculous. I got into St Andrews on DDF at Scottish higher because my aunty works in admissions :smile: Was quite lucky really!
Oxy
its 11:1 for Chemistry. Just incase anyone asks.

do you know what they are for physics? :p:
About the same for physics.
dragon500uk

awwwww, 11 to 1 is ridiculous! :frown:
Reply 33
BrightGirl
awwwww, 11 to 1 is ridiculous! :frown:

11:1

that's not good.

but it doesn't provide the full picture...

I wonder what the offers to applicants ratio is...
bah, the admissions stats are password protected. Why put them on your website then??? strange things afoot.

Anyway from the St Andrews website a quote to encourage all the physics applicants:

Well-qualified students applying to study for a degree in physics or astronomy should realise that they are in a "buyer's market", and should not find it difficult to get into a good course in the UK.
Reply 34
10:1 or so isn't uncommon for top unis. Remember they'll make about 3 or 4 times more offers than they have places, so the applicant-offer ratio is far more in your favour.
Reply 35
Wow i really didn't realise it was so competitive to get in, i feel rather special now :P
Reply 36
Natalie :D
Wow i really didn't realise it was so competitive to get in, i feel rather special now :P

aha congrats now you can watch the rest of attempting to get in :wink: what course did you get into?
Reply 37
Biology was 14:1 when I applied I think... (now in 2nd year)
Reply 38
WHITKA
aha congrats now you can watch the rest of attempting to get in :wink: what course did you get into?

Direct entry Biology, i'm sure you'll all do fine. I did my personal statement by myself (not while i was still at school) and had no idea what i was waffling about so either i've got a natural talent for making myself sound fab or it's just not as difficult as people think it will be! Ha :P
Reply 39
dragon500uk

I would of thought Physics would be higher as their grade reqs are increasing to AAA, Chem is only ABB/AAB

Latest

Trending

Trending