The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Anyone know for English? I did a bit of googling, but couldnt find anything...
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Beanybob
Anyone know for English? I did a bit of googling, but couldnt find anything...

May I ask what you got in your Highers? :ninja:
Reply 42
ArcadiaHouse
May I ask what you got in your Highers? :ninja:

Sure, I got 5A's. May I ask why? :p:
Beanybob
Sure, I got 5A's. May I ask why? :p:

Oh ... :frown: No reason :ninja: Let's just say I hope not many other people with your grades want to do English!! Haha. Well done :woo:

I'm furious that my school forced so many of us to take our Highers over two years :rolleyes: Apparently it won't affect my application because it wasn't my fault, but knowing that I'm up against people like you makes me wonder whether I should be looking for a gap year instead of starting uni at 17 :awesome:
Reply 44
ArcadiaHouse
Oh ... :frown: No reason :ninja: Let's just say I hope not many other people with your grades want to do English!! Haha. Well done :woo:

I'm furious that my school forced so many of us to take our Highers over two years :rolleyes: Apparently it won't affect my application because it wasn't my fault, but knowing that I'm up against people like you makes me wonder whether I should be looking for a gap year instead of starting uni at 17 :awesome:

Surely if it wont affect your application, then doing highers over 2 years sounds like an amazing idea!! So much less pressure and so much more chance of doing well, no?
You wont be up against me at any rate, cos I'm here already :p:
Being 17 when you start uni isnt so bad, it hasnt really caused me any problems... :smile:
I'm quite aware that it's highly competitive for IR. But does anyone know the number of applicants per place? What about any specific qualifications/degrees/recommendations that can help?
Reply 46
Irrepressible
I'm quite aware that it's highly competitive for IR. But does anyone know the number of applicants per place? What about any specific qualifications/degrees/recommendations that can help?

I guess you wanna apply to St Andrews for IR. Make sure that your PS absolutely shows your dedication for IR.
Extracurricular stuff like MUNs will also help to get you an offer.
Reply 47
The easiest way to get into IR is to apply to something less competitive in the Arts faculty and then just switch to IR. You'll still need AAA at A-Level to do the course, but it saves you the trouble of getting an offer.
Reply 48
I think it should be pointed out that, although its sense of tradition is renowned, many English students may be put off applying to St Andrews because courses are all at least 4 years long (by vitrue of the fact that Scottish students can enrol at 17 years whereas English students would tend to be 18 years when they enrol)- degrees at English universities are only 3+ years long.

Also St Andrews is a very quiet, small scale place. There are people applying to Durham University who ask whether there is enough to do- compared to St Andrews it's a metropolis!

It's doing extremely well in the rankings - third on the Guardian's and fourth on the Times but I seem to remember that about 10 years ago when I was applying to universities it was about 12th or so and there were quite a few places in clearing then.

Whilst loving the tradition and name of St Andrews, spending 4 years experiencing it is not for everyone when you could be at another city that mixes tradition and modernity with more things to do.
fg08
I guess you wanna apply to St Andrews for IR. Make sure that your PS absolutely shows your dedication for IR.
Extracurricular stuff like MUNs will also help to get you an offer.

I'm still considering it. I don't wanna waste one of my choices in vain, but guess that one who doesn't try is out of winning. I know that just having As can't guarantee me anything so I rely on my international organisation experience & references. Hope 4-year working for Human rights projects can bring some advantage when applying.
Picnic1

Also St Andrews is a very quiet, small scale place. There are people applying to Durham University who ask whether there is enough to do- compared to St Andrews it's a metropolis!

If anyone thinks that because St Andrews is small there isn't enough to do, they are sorely mistaken to a ridiculous degree.
Reply 51
Picnic1
I think it should be pointed out that, although its sense of tradition is renowned, many English students may be put off applying to St Andrews because courses are all at least 4 years long (by vitrue of the fact that Scottish students can enrol at 17 years whereas English students would tend to be 18 years when they enrol)- degrees at English universities are only 3+ years long.

It's doing extremely well in the rankings - third on the Guardian's and fourth on the Times but I seem to remember that about 10 years ago when I was applying to universities it was about 12th or so and there were quite a few places in clearing then.

Whilst loving the tradition and name of St Andrews, spending 4 years experiencing it is not for everyone when you could be at another city that mixes tradition and modernity with more things to do.

Scottish students can be 17, but to be honest a very high number of them are 18 when they go to university, I don't know whay everyone thinks that we leave school after our highers, and go to uni, the very very high majority of people of students planning to go onto university go on to do 6th year at school anyway, even if they do already have unconditionals to uni, as I did. Therefore, most Scottish students are 18, or almost 18. I think I know of one person, out of all the people I know from uni, and from my school, who left school to go to university after 5th year.
Secondly, what's wrong with uni being for 4 years? Everyone I know here actually thinks that 4 years seems to short! I was speaking to a 4th year the other day, who is from England, and she isn't ready to leave St Andrews so is doing a Masters year after she graduates here.

St Andrews is small, yes, but you are horribly horribly mistaken if you think there isn't much going on! There is SO much happening, ALL the time! Most nights you have to choose from quite a selection of events! Tomorrow alone I have 3 social events I want to go to, plus work to do... ugh!

Just cos it's smalll, doesn't mean there's nothing to do! It's an amazing place, with a great atmosphere, and lots and lots of events, parties, bonfires, flatparties are immense! :biggrin:
Reply 52
Oh god...this thread has got me worried!!
Is it even worth me applying to St. Andrews?! Everyone seems to have gotten all A's!

I got 3 A's and 1 B...also got a B in Intermediate 2...

Want to do history, French, Film Studies...basically, do I stand a chance?
necessarily benevolent
Wow, I didn't actually realise it was that competitive :lolwut:

Holy **** me too! Oh well met Dr Baddeley yesterday, he was happy with me! :biggrin: Hopefully Chemistry apps aren't too high!!
deissi
The easiest way to get into IR is to apply to something less competitive in the Arts faculty and then just switch to IR. You'll still need AAA at A-Level to do the course, but it saves you the trouble of getting an offer.

I was actually told by Uni staff yesterday that they are clamping down on this due to IR's popularity.
jammydodger09
Holy **** me too! Oh well met Dr Baddeley yesterday, he was happy with me! :biggrin: Hopefully Chemistry apps aren't too high!!

You had an interview? I haven't, though I'm not from the UK so maybe it's different. Got a letter from Dr Baddeley instead.
jammydodger09
I was actually told by Uni staff yesterday that they are clamping down on this due to IR's popularity.

It's insane how many people do IR here :p:
What struck me as weird is the lack of Scottish students (well, that was the impression I got on the open day). Everyone on my tour was English and alot of the voices I heard were English or American.

Are Scottish students at a disadvantage with just Highers (I can't sit AH's at my school), do they lose out to A-Level students?
dancing.barefoot
You had an interview? I haven't, though I'm not from the UK so maybe it's different. Got a letter from Dr Baddeley instead.

It wasn't an interview as such. After he'd given us a presentation on the wonderful world of Chemistry (no sarcasm intended, it was very well done) in a lecture theatre and shown us some NMR machines, we went into a little room where all the Dr's and Profs sat down and spoke to everyone. I was just really lucky that he picked me first.
jammydodger09
What struck me as weird is the lack of Scottish students (well, that was the impression I got on the open day). Everyone on my tour was English and alot of the voices I heard were English or American.

Are Scottish students at a disadvantage with just Highers (I can't sit AH's at my school), do they lose out to A-Level students?

You wont be disadvantaged, no. Try and get your ucas referee to mention that you can't sit AH's though.

There are a fair number of us Scots here, don't worry :p: Not that there aren't a lot of English and American people, but it makes for a good mix all round.

Latest

Trending

Trending