The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Are you on your period now? If you are it might be worth waiting a bit, and then trying it when you arent on your period, just try to stay calm and relaxed and try later. And as was siad - bigger things can go up there!

From the FAQ: Okay, I have a mooncup and I’m having problems. I’m finding it really hard to get in.

I think nerves play a big part in this. Relaxation is key. The good thing about mooncup is that you can practice any time with it, because it doesn’t dry you out. Failing practice, try a little WATER BASED!!! Lubricant to help you pop it up there. Remember to fold it as tightly as possible.
Anonymous
Ok i reckon my hymen's still intact that cos there is no way it is going up there no matter what i try!

if you're a virgin then it may well be your hymen- when i first tried i could get it in then i tried again and i reakon i broke my hymen- i bled and it really quite hurt. i left it a few days and tried again when it seemed to be fine. just try relaxing and slowy putting it up there and try different angles. but on the upside it ment that when i lost my virginity there was no pain/blood as it was already broken!
also what have peoples reactions to it been when you told them about it. i explained it to my bf and he was actually quite intriged, and even renamed it the golden chalice! but on the other hand all my friends have been completely disgusted and think i'm some kind of freak!
i find that i tend to stick to tampons on my first day as i am quite heavy then and dont like emptying it but it is great towards the end of your period as you can put it in when you might otherwise have been too dry for tampons.

but i do find that it seems to leak a bit around the edges, nothing that comes down into my underwear (i tend to wear a thin panty liner anyway just in case) but when i come to take it out there is stuff round the outside, even if i have just had a shower so i would have thought i would be quite clean down there, and so i get messy fingers...anyone got any ideas on how to stop this.
Anonymous
if you're a virgin then it may well be your hymen- when i first tried i could get it in then i tried again and i reakon i broke my hymen- i bled and it really quite hurt. i left it a few days and tried again when it seemed to be fine. just try relaxing and slowy putting it up there and try different angles. but on the upside it ment that when i lost my virginity there was no pain/blood as it was already broken!
also what have peoples reactions to it been when you told them about it. i explained it to my bf and he was actually quite intriged, and even renamed it the golden chalice! but on the other hand all my friends have been completely disgusted and think i'm some kind of freak!
i find that i tend to stick to tampons on my first day as i am quite heavy then and dont like emptying it but it is great towards the end of your period as you can put it in when you might otherwise have been too dry for tampons.

but i do find that it seems to leak a bit around the edges, nothing that comes down into my underwear (i tend to wear a thin panty liner anyway just in case) but when i come to take it out there is stuff round the outside, even if i have just had a shower so i would have thought i would be quite clean down there, and so i get messy fingers...anyone got any ideas on how to stop this.
I get that sometimes, usually on my heaviest days, try chaniging it more often, and I tend to change it before i have a shower. I dont know what causes it, or how to stop it, but that might minimise it. Try emailing the people at mooncup, they might have a better idea. Thinking about it - it might be the seal not completely forming or the little holes at the top might be blocked or something - if the holes are blocked they need to be poked out with a pin or something!
Lessthenthree, you rock :biggrin: Very informative and funny. I hadn't even heard of Mooncups before and probably wouldn't have even considered them before but now I'm *almost* persuaded. I'm going to do a bit more digging and I think I'll check out the Lunapads as well. This is all very new-worldy though.
If you buy one from Boots (plan to get one when out tomorrow), can you still send them back if you don't like it?

Been unsure if i should get one or not for ages, just read all 11 pages and thought i might as well try! :smile:

-x-
I think you can why dont you drop them a line and ask them here:smile:
does anyone know if you can swim with the sea pearls (the sea spinge tampons from lunapads)? Or is is safe to swim with the mooncup? don't fancy leaking in the pool...

if it's the same as a tampon then thats ok cos thats what i usually use.

I'm so going to get a mooncup. even if i can't wear it swimming it still sounds much better than tampons. I'm thinking about geting a couple of lunapads too for at night.
can you get silicone mooncups then? i thought the original item only came in latex (i'm allergic to it)
Think this needs to be brought to the top again as they have been mentioned in another thread.
Reply 189
kemiandtheboy
can you get silicone mooncups then? i thought the original item only came in latex (i'm allergic to it)

When going through this thread, I found the Diva Cup on the Lunapads site.
I think it ships from Canada, so it might be more expensive (what with shipping costs) to get to you, but on the FAQ it says:

Q: What is the difference between The DivaCup™ and other menstrual cups?
A: The DivaCup™ is made from soft medical grade silicone, which is 100% hypo-allergenic. Other products are from natural latex rubber (gum rubber)...

Anyway, I do not have a mooncup or a diva cup, but this thread had definitely piqued my interest. I'm on the verge of ordering one right now...
I bought a mooncup but couldnt get it in. What a waste of £20 that was:frown:
bump!

to the last poster - keep trying - it takes practice.
mooncups are great!
mooncups are amazing! i got one last year; i ummed and ahhed for ages about getting one (i didn't know about them before reading this thread!) and now i'm at uni it's a life and money saver! and its great i'm helping the environment cos i'm such a recycling freak! :p:
Hi do you know if you can use one before your period has started, when you are waiting for it?
yeah, i always do - so i am prepared. its fine :smile:
Reply 195
I ended up buying one after my last post in this thread, but I'm scared to try it!
Reply 196
Get Outta Here Never Knew There Was Such A Thing
Can you get them from a shop?
Never mind, just discovered you can buy them from boots. They sound amazing (if a little icky)
lara400
Never mind, just discovered you can buy them from boots. They sound amazing (if a little icky)

yup i bought mine form boots for £19.99

Ink
I ended up buying one after my last post in this thread, but I'm scared to try it!

Its fine. get some practice in before your next period, follow their instructions and make sure you're not too dry - water's fine, or lube. most important is to be relaxed. and tbh when they're folded up they're not even that big!

also make sure you trim the stem :smile:

post here/pm if you have any trouble!

Quick Reply

Latest