The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Tinkerbee
Mooonpiig dot commmmmmmmmmmmmm

sorry :o: it's stuck in my head now.

Oh my God me too! I didn't even realise I was singing that to myself until i read your post! :o:
(edited 11 years ago)
Peanut42
Oh is it true that with mooncups you have to sterilise them by boiling them in a saucepan on the stove? Because that just sounds a bit... ugh to me.

yes... but its not like you have blood floating around in the pot! You do rinse it out first, and only have to boil it once a month. Or, if it still freaks you out, you could just use sterilisng tablets, like they use for baby's bottles.
I love my mooncup, I can't imagine going back to tampons or pads... all that blood sitting around... urgh!
Reply 383
Teao the Cat
yes... but its not like you have blood floating around in the pot! You do rinse it out first, and only have to boil it once a month. Or, if it still freaks you out, you could just use sterilisng tablets, like they use for baby's bottles.
I love my mooncup, I can't imagine going back to tampons or pads... all that blood sitting around... urgh!

Also, you will keep one saucepan seperate for this purpose only!
I've been wanting a mooncup for a while and I think i'll buy one when I get paid next week. I have a bad track record with both pads and tampons and I really like the idea of no waste (being the eco-warrior that I am) and the fact that i don't ahve to go and buy stuff any more and have teenage boys averting their eyes as they put the pads through the till...
They are really very vey good. Less leakage than tampons, money saving in the long run, better for the environment. Big thumbs up from me.

And comfortable...just remember it's up there before trying to have sex...there's no cord dangling to remind you that 'this seat is taken'...
helen087
Also, you will keep one saucepan seperate for this purpose only!

Why... as long as you wash the saucepan afterwards.... not that you really need to... its boiling water.

I just put mine into boiled water with a little salt. I dont actually boil it while the mooncup is in there
I keep one pan for mooncup cleaning, because I don't really like the idea of mixing sanitary products with my food, and because we all share kitchen stuff in our flat. I'd feel guilty if I saw someone cooking in a pan I use for cleaning my mooncup, even if there's nothing technically unhygenic about it.

I've always boiled mine up for about 5 minutes to clean it, but I recently tried tablets for cleaning bottle-feeding equipment. The staining on the cup isn't all gone, but it's much better, and I didn't have to face the prospect of my flatmates coming in and wondering what the heck I'm cooking [I quote, from last year, 'What the devil are you doing?!...']. It was also good to just leave it for a few hours, rather than setting aside a particular time to clean it.
I got 64 tablets for £1.31 in Superdrug. Although my bills are currently covered in the cost of my accommodation, I reckon that sterilizing tablets would probably be cheaper normally, particularly if you split a pack with someone.
Okay I've used my mooncup for one period now, and I'm ready to post my review!

When I decided to buy one, I was in absolute hate with tampons. While they're 100x better than pads, they're really not that great. They can be painful to put in and take out because they're so dry, they leak all the time and they need changing really often. And then at the end of your period you're not bleeding so much and it gets even worse, they're even drier and you either put up with that or you use pads which are just eeuurghh.

I'm really surprised by those who think the mooncup is 'gross' or 'unhygeinic', I have to conclude that they've either never used tampons and pads (and most likely are male) or it's just a kneejerk reaction. But seriously, mooncups are so much cleaner! You know when you first start using tampons and are amazed at how clean you feel (only to have the illusion shattered by constant leaking)? Well, this is like that only better. You don't leak, you really are clean. Not only on the outside... but you're actually pretty clean on the inside too. While tampons hold the fluid against you, mooncups put a silicone layer between the blood and your body. You really do feel so much cleaner.

Another thing I noticed was that you really don't have to worry that you're on your period. You don't have to think about how you're going to sit down (sitting down cross-legged in pads can take some careful planning) or whether you're going to leak or smell. I cannot think of a single period-related problem which cannot be solved with the mooncup - leaking, cleanliness, forgetting to take tampons out with you, sleeping... it's great.

I found that I got the hang on using my mooncup really quickly. At first it seems a bit weird, but for me at least it wasn't as bad as the switch to tampons. It's very easy to get used to. It does take some practice, but as long as you're comfortable with your body you should be absolutely fine.

I wish I'd tried it sooner! I hope I never have to go back to pulling sodden cotton out of myself, eurghh :smile: thanks everyone in this thread for convincing me to try it :P
Can I ask... who here find that their mooncup helps with period pains... doesn't for me... so I'm interested if its true for some
Oooh I also have a question about sterilising tablets.

I looked at the Milton ones and it says 1 tablet per 5 litres of water. Obviously I'm not going to be using that much. So how much do you guys use? I really don't want to underdilute it because the solution it makes is essentially bleach and I've read stories of people using too much and damaging the silicone and making it go all sticky? I really don't want that to happen, so I want to use the correct measurements buuut that would be a tiny fraction of 1 tablet for a small glass of water. Hmmmm.
I used 1 tablet to effectively a litre or so of water. Nothing wrong with my mooncup yet! I just have a plastic tub that I fill with water and add a tablet =]
Sephrenia
I used 1 tablet to effectively a litre or so of water. Nothing wrong with my mooncup yet! I just have a plastic tub that I fill with water and add a tablet =]

Hmmm I'm still really worried about damaging it. Are the tablets easy to break into halves/quarters?
nolongerhearthemusic
Hmmm I'm still really worried about damaging it. Are the tablets easy to break into halves/quarters?

I don't actually know. I've never broken one in half!
I just use like baby sterilising fluid
I prefer that to boiling, plus I reckon it'll last longer that way right?
nolongerhearthemusic

I broke mine in half pretty easily. They're for bottle-feeding stuff.
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone else find that their mooncup leaks a bit at night? Mine is absolutely fine in the daytime, no trouble at all ever, but if I'm led down then it sometimes leaks quite badly - a couple of times I've woken up to find my bedsheets soaked in blood. I think it is because usually the blood is sat in the bottom of the cup so it can't get out but if I lie down then it can get around the seal - anyway, does this happen to you, and is there any way of stopping it? At the moment I've been using tampons instead overnight just in case, but I really hate them.
peach plum pear
Yes! I've only used mine for one period but it was leaking quite badly on the first few nights when my flow was heaviest. The website suggests placing the mooncup lower [http://www.mooncup.co.uk/menstrual_cup_faq.html#Leakage] but I'm not sure that was the problem. Mine also seems to fill up really quickly - like up to the 6ml mark in 2/3 hours. Is that loads?! I've never considered my periods to be particularly heavy!

It amazed me too quite how much blood you actually get in it! Mine can sometimes be almost full after a couple of hours on the first day of my period - it never looks like so much when you use tampons :eek: .

I think that the positioning might be part of the problem for me, as it seems to work its way further up overnight sometimes - I've no idea why that might be though :s-smilie: . And if I put it in the right place, then it moves, there's not much I can do to stop it :confused: .
Mine leaked on occasion. What I used to do is before I went to bed made sure it was empty and there was nothing blocking the holes, put it in and wiggled it around a bit so it was really sealed. Also on the heaviest nights it might be an idea wearing a pad, just in case!
This thread needs reviving!

Mooncup love <3

Quick Reply

Latest