The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

blinkbelle
4 hours is a long time IMO! That's the maximum amount of time I will ever leave it in. Usually I just change it every time I go to the toilet (which is quite frequently as I drink water like a fish!) and don't have any problems with it. The only time I have issues with 'full-ness' is on a morining after leaving it in during the night, and if I've had to leave it in slightly longer than usual :smile: hope this helps!!! xx

There's no wrong or right time ... there's no issues with hygiene like with tampons ... just get used to how often YOU need to change it .. I can go nearly 24 hours as my periods are very light.
Anonymous
There's no wrong or right time ... there's no issues with hygiene like with tampons ... just get used to how often YOU need to change it .. I can go nearly 24 hours as my periods are very light.

I never said there was, I said IMO 4 hours was a long time compared to me... :rolleyes:
Anonymous
Try sea pearls. They freak ME out. :yucky:

Oh. God.
Sephrenia
Oh. God.

what are they?

still haven't eased into my femmecup :frown:
Y'anami!
what are they?

still haven't eased into my femmecup :frown:

Natural tampons. They don't look nice, and I can't see how they would be reusable... >.<

How long have you been using it?
Does anyone find their period is a bit more... 'gloopy' than normal? :s-smilie: mine seems to be, probably something to do with there being something 'in there' all the time :o: oh dear :blushing:
Anonymous
Does anyone find their period is a bit more... 'gloopy' than normal? :s-smilie: mine seems to be, probably something to do with there being something 'in there' all the time :o: oh dear :blushing:

I think you just don't realise its consistency normally. It's always been like that :p:
nolongerhearthemusic
I think you just don't realise its consistency normally. It's always been like that :p:

I would agree with that one. Mine seemed to get more gloopy towards the end, but I think thats just the natural juices that were there normally that got absorbed by pads and things, weren't, and the amoun never actually changed (if that makes sense...)
Sephrenia
Natural tampons. They don't look nice, and I can't see how they would be reusable... >.<

Oh my.

To be honest, I wasn't that fussed by this site to start with. The idea of sticking a load of cotton on a string (or a rubbery cup) up your hoo-hah seems comparably weird to using a spongey blob... but then the site said "Sea Pearls™ are natural sea sponges. Sponges are plant-like creatures growing in colonies on the ocean floor," and that kind of threw me a bit. Sticking a dead thing up anywhere... egads :o:

Having said that, if I was given one, I'd probably try it. They look easier to get used to than mooncups and such. And people wash themselves with sponges. And historically, I think moss was used as a 'pad' because some kinds are absorbent. On that scale of things, it's not so weird.

Their information on sterlising is quite interesting. I'd be intrigued to know which methods would be appropriate for a mooncup... boiling it can be really awkward, and I don't like using the baby-feeding sterilisation tablets much. The site doesn't seem very scientific about it all, which deters me slightly.
ImperceptibleNinja
Oh my.

To be honest, I wasn't that fussed by this site to start with. The idea of sticking a load of cotton on a string (or a rubbery cup) up your hoo-hah seems comparably weird to using a spongey blob... but then the site said "Sea Pearls™ are natural sea sponges. Sponges are plant-like creatures growing in colonies on the ocean floor," and that kind of threw me a bit. Sticking a dead thing up anywhere... egads :o:

Having said that, if I was given one, I'd probably try it. They look easier to get used to than mooncups and such. And people wash themselves with sponges. And historically, I think moss was used as a 'pad' because some kinds are absorbent. On that scale of things, it's not so weird.

Their information on sterlising is quite interesting. I'd be intrigued to know which methods would be appropriate for a mooncup... boiling it can be really awkward, and I don't like using the baby-feeding sterilisation tablets much. The site doesn't seem very scientific about it all, which deters me slightly.

I use the sterilisation tablets for my mooncup - I have cold water ones, so i run a bowl of water and drop a tablet and mooncup into it, hop into the shower, get out of shower, fish out mooncup and rinse with cold (or warm, depending on how cold my hands feel :p: ) and pop it into it bag. Don't even notice the time it takes to clean it.

It disturbs me that they say 'For easy retrieval, you may sew a piece of dental floss to the sponge.' and 'Sea sponges, like tampons, are not sterile.' But I am interested as to how a piece of dead ocean floor will get me listening to the natural rhythm of my body...
Sephrenia

Oh god I just saw the site.. I couldn't do it.

Uhm I got it 2 months ago, right before my period.. I haven't tried it since tbh it was just so uncomfortable, I didn't like having to stick my fingers up to fish it out, but I had to cut the stem cuz it was too long.. I don't know what to do about it.
Y'anami!
Oh god I just saw the site.. I couldn't do it.

Uhm I got it 2 months ago, right before my period.. I haven't tried it since tbh it was just so uncomfortable, I didn't like having to stick my fingers up to fish it out, but I had to cut the stem cuz it was too long.. I don't know what to do about it.

Email the company, and they give you tons of help!
Oh lawdy.

Just about to go for a massive gym sesh and I just noticed I've come on.
Incredibly unenthused about ever using tampons ever again, so the time has come to see how my mooncup holds up when I go swimming...
Swimming..I haven't swam for about 5 years so I'm not sure. I don't see why not. I had to cheat on my lovely mooncup today to use a tampon (I came on and didn't trust it enough to go riding on such a heavy day when I'd be bouncing about) ugh. Forgot how stuffy they are, as well as the manky string!
HAHAHA on loveyourvagina someone submitted a nickname for the genitals as vulvasaur! How ******* boss is that?? :biggrin:
I was looking on the website earlier, and some of the women who'd sent in testimonials said that they'd had irregular periods before, and they started to regulate when they began using the mooncup.

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

It's just I have stupidly irregular periods. I started about 3 years ago; the longest I've gone between then is 9 weeks (not counting when they first started) and the shortest is 1 and a half weeks. Sometimes they're quite heavy and other times, they're really light. When they're heavy, I only really have cramps for the first day or so. I often end up going through loads of pads in between periods and during just in case I come on/leak at any time, and I always end up dashing to the loo really often to check that nothing's happened/that there haven't been any leaks. Wearing pads a lot of the time gets quite uncomfortable though. I've never used tampons.
Also, forgot to add, I've never taken any kind of contraceptive pill.
Anonymous
I was looking on the website earlier, and some of the women who'd sent in testimonials said that they'd had irregular periods before, and they started to regulate when they began using the mooncup.

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

It's just I have stupidly irregular periods. I started about 3 years ago; the longest I've gone between then is 9 weeks (not counting when they first started) and the shortest is 1 and a half weeks. Sometimes they're quite heavy and other times, they're really light. When they're heavy, I only really have cramps for the first day or so. I often end up going through loads of pads in between periods and during just in case I come on/leak at any time, and I always end up dashing to the loo really often to check that nothing's happened/that there haven't been any leaks. Wearing pads a lot of the time gets quite uncomfortable though. I've never used tampons.

I don't really understand how a mooncup itself could regulate your periods, but it sounds like you could definitely benefit from one as you can just put your mooncup in anytime, unlike tampons that are horribly dry if you use them when you're not actually on.

Perhaps you should consider going on the pill to regulate your periods? Have you ever asked your doctor about this? Because the pill can really help to regulate periods.
sophisticated
I don't really understand how a mooncup itself could regulate your periods, but it sounds like you could definitely benefit from one as you can just put your mooncup in anytime, unlike tampons that are horribly dry if you use them when you're not actually on.

Perhaps you should consider going on the pill to regulate your periods? Have you ever asked your doctor about this? Because the pill can really help to regulate periods.

They didn't say how it happened, just that they were surprised when it did :s-smilie:

I've considered the pill but I was going to wait until I was sexually active before I started taking it, I might think about it though. Thanks :smile:
Anonymous
They didn't say how it happened, just that they were surprised when it did :s-smilie:

I've considered the pill but I was going to wait until I was sexually active before I started taking it, I might think about it though. Thanks :smile:

It was probably just a coincidence. And you don't have to be sexually active to go on the pill. Plenty of people get prescribed the pill just to help regulate their periods, combat period pain, get rid of acne etc.

Quick Reply

Latest