The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Woody:
So what exactly do they use if they don't use any results? O_o
Reply 381
personal statement
Reply 382
They have a huge emphasis on personal statements and meeting their "non-academic criteria" which is what let me down big time last year.

I still dont understand what that is :s-smilie:
Reply 383
MoonwalkBaby
Woody:
So what exactly do they use if they don't use any results? O_o

Soton pay HUGE emphasis on the PS, they don't even interview. Obviously they will look at your A levels or whatever, but when it comes to GCSEs they do not take them as being so prominent.
Woody.
Soton pay HUGE emphasis on the PS, they don't even interview. Obviously they will look at your A levels or whatever, but when it comes to GCSEs they do not take them as being so prominent.

Is that it? They look at your personal statement, and that's IT? :s-smilie: I woulda thought since they don't interview they'd pay more attention to your grades... O_o Meh. I was told by my dad's old work colleague [used to work at Soton][as did my dad actually] that they were critical about everything and they looked at your schools and stuff too... maybe just for engineering tho, I dunno.

OP, you've applied to Soton before? Is it not a bit risky applying to the same uni twice? :s-smilie:
Woody.

but do they look at gcses at all? i.e. will someone with 7A*s get any preference over one with no A*s? I know they say they dont at the open day but sometimes they dont tell you the whole story?
Reply 386
MoonwalkBaby
Is that it? They look at your personal statement, and that's IT? :s-smilie: I woulda thought since they don't interview they'd pay more attention to your grades... O_o Meh. I was told by my dad's old work colleague [used to work at Soton][as did my dad actually] that they were critical about everything and they looked at your schools and stuff too... maybe just for engineering tho, I dunno.

OP, you've applied to Soton before? Is it not a bit risky applying to the same uni twice? :s-smilie:

Well, if you read my post I did say they will look at your A Levels, but they place a very big emphasis on the PS.

blonde-beth
but do they look at gcses at all? i.e. will someone with 7A*s get any preference over one with no A*s?

When I was at the open day they said it doesn't matter whether you have 7A*s or 7Bs. However, I imagine if there are two identical candidates and one had 7A*s and the other 7Bs they would pick the 7A*s candidate.
Reply 387
I can't choose between Bristol or Nottingham as my 4th uni (already applying to Queens Belfast, Edinburgh and Newcastle) so just wondering if anyone has any pros/cons about either uni as I don't know much about them? Like are either of them really hard to get into?

thanks for the help
Birdo
I can't choose between Bristol or Nottingham as my 4th uni (already applying to Queens Belfast, Edinburgh and Newcastle) so just wondering if anyone has any pros/cons about either uni as I don't know much about them? Like are either of them really hard to get into?

thanks for the help

What are your GCSES like? If they're good, go for Bristol. If not great, Nottingham.
Reply 389
MoonwalkBaby

I have indeed!

however they said it's not a problem to re-apply. It shows determination!
Reply 390
I have Imperial UCL. My teacher was telling me to go for some other less popular unis that maybe accept a B in chemistry so I'll almost definitely get into that. Anyway with my UKCAT (690) I heard I can get an interview at Newcastle? Also for my 4th choice what about Hull, York, Leister, Lancaster? Any others?
Really stuck on my 5th choice for Biomed. I don't know where to go because I really wouldn't want to do it anyway.
Reply 391
Moonkin
I have Imperial UCL. My teacher was telling me to go for some other less popular unis that maybe accept a B in chemistry so I'll almost definitely get into that. Anyway with my UKCAT (690) I heard I can get an interview at Newcastle? Also for my 4th choice what about Hull, York, Leister, Lancaster? Any others?
Really stuck on my 5th choice for Biomed. I don't know where to go because I really wouldn't want to do it anyway.

Lancaster need an A in chem as it's part of Liverpool uni.
Hi

Basically, I am applying to Bristol, Cardiff, Cambridge and one other for medicine entry in 2010. However I am struggling to decide between Birmingham or Southampton as my final choice. I did like Birmingham when I went to visit and got a good vibe but a big factor in its favour for me is the A* (generally 7 A* or more) policy for interview which suits me well so I'm thinking that I am likely to get an interview here so is a safer bet. Southampton on the other hand is a slightly better location for me but it does not interview. Although my personal statement is strong i don't have anything amazing in there and I feel I may get lost in the crowd of 17 applicants per place despite good academia. Though if i did get an offer I'd rather go there than to Birmingham. It's balancing this preference with my perceived chance of entry that is making the decision difficult! Some opinions would be great especially from people that have applied or are applying to either of these courses. Sorry about the spiel but some help would be appreciated. Thanks
Both of them are less preferable than your other choices right?

I'm biased (I applied to both and got into Brum whereas Southampton rejected me) but I would say - seeing as Southampton isn't exactly your favourite anyway, go for the safe option.

If you get into only Birmingham and have to go there you might be a bit sad wondering what it might have been like going to Southampton. But your sadness will last until you start the course.

If you don't get into anywhere and you applied for Southampton, you will be a lot sad wondering what it would like being a medical student at all - anywhere would have done! - and that sadness will potentially last until you get in (at least a year). (You'll always be thinking: maybe I could have gone to Birmingham)

How many stars above the requirement are you?
I was above the stars requirement - and I was only interviewed at two places, and only got one offer from Birmingham. If it wasn't for those stars I wouldn't be studying medicine
Brum tbh since it's safe if you have lots of A*s. They have a ridiculess amount of offers per place after interview. So you should be fine unless you're a muppet.
Moonkin

Don't Newcastle want AAA? Research which uni's will accept a 'B' in chem and then pick one from there.
Reply 396
I can't decide between Newcastle, Nottingham, Dundee or Edinburgh for my 4th choice for Medicine.
Anyone think of anything good or bad about the course, university or city for any of them?
Reply 397
Do Bristol really require loads of A*s at GCSE. I was under the impression they looked at your personal statement alot as well, possibly balancing it out.
Reply 398
I could really use some help with selecting unis that my application is good enough enough for (im not very sure about the real admissions criteria that they use).

A level predictions - AAA (chemistry biology maths)
As level grades - aabb (chemistry biology maths economics) - retaking some modules to hopefully boost the b grades
GCSEs - 1A* 5As 4Bs
UKCAT - VR.620 QR.630 AR.590 DA.650 - 622.5 average
and i think my personal statement is in the pretty good but not super awesome level.

So far i was considering - Leeds, Lecister, Liverpool and southampton (sorta my get luckey option)

Any help would really be super appreciated- its getting pretty close to the deadline.

Thank you,

Bhups.
Bhups
I could really use some help with selecting unis that my application is good enough enough for (im not very sure about the real admissions criteria that they use).

A level predictions - AAA (chemistry biology maths)
As level grades - aabb (chemistry biology maths economics) - retaking some modules to hopefully boost the b grades
GCSEs - 1A* 5As 4Bs
UKCAT - VR.620 QR.630 AR.590 DA.650 - 622.5 average
and i think my personal statement is in the pretty good but not super awesome level.

So far i was considering - Leeds, Lecister, Liverpool and southampton (sorta my get luckey option)

Any help would really be super appreciated- its getting pretty close to the deadline.

Thank you,

Bhups.

I don't know about Leeds and Southampton; They don't interview so they may be more strict about grades.

Maybe you should look around the forums to read a little more on this? I'd suggest checking out the successful applicant profiles to those unis in particular :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending