The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Hi guys,

Would you be able to help please. I have a 633 Average in UKCAT, Band 1 in SJ and a 1st Class degree, MSc results are pending, but A levels were not good :/
Any suggestions in which GEM and 5 year courses i can apply to?

Thanks
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which universities I would have the best chance of applying in and getting an interview. I have only got an average UKCAT score of 670 and been really panicking with uni choices!!
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Average= 670 (2010)
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
Im thinking hull york, nottingham, manchester, birmingham, cardiff and Bristol?? Which ones should I avoid?? Thank youuuu😊😊😊
Original post by nickynjoe
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which universities I would have the best chance of applying in and getting an interview. I have only got an average UKCAT score of 670 and been really panicking with uni choices!!
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Average= 670 (2010)
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
Im thinking hull york, nottingham, manchester, birmingham, cardiff and Bristol?? Which ones should I avoid?? Thank youuuu😊😊😊

Hello! :smile: I would advise you to avoid Cardiff because they love GCSEs and use a scoring system that gives you 3 points for an A*, 2 points for an A etc and you would need a 26/27 to get an interview. A similar scoring system for GCSEs is used by Birmingham as well and they particularly like A*s in English Language and Maths. Bristol is extremely competitive so, unless your PS is amazing, don't apply. Apparently 70% of their consideration is the PS. Nottingham also has a scoring system which you can have a look for as well as the cut-off for last year. I think your UKCAT is good for Hull York and Manchester if I am not mistaken. You could double check in previous threads about the cut-offs from last year. Good luck!!!
Original post by aspiringmedic178
Hello! :smile: I would advise you to avoid Cardiff because they love GCSEs and use a scoring system that gives you 3 points for an A*, 2 points for an A etc and you would need a 26/27 to get an interview. A similar scoring system for GCSEs is used by Birmingham as well and they particularly like A*s in English Language and Maths. Bristol is extremely competitive so, unless your PS is amazing, don't apply. Apparently 70% of their consideration is the PS. Nottingham also has a scoring system which you can have a look for as well as the cut-off for last year. I think your UKCAT is good for Hull York and Manchester if I am not mistaken. You could double check in previous threads about the cut-offs from last year. Good luck!!!

Hello!:smile: Thank you so much for your reply! I used the online calculator for Birmingham and it said 'considered for interview' as you get a score out of 10, I got 8 point something and last years cutoff was 6 point something, do you think it would be worth it or have I not got enough A*s?? Yeah I looked into Cardiff and I would score 24/27, would this definitely be too low as I have heard often the cut off changes??? For Nottingham I would score 39/47 I think which people have been guessing to be the cut off, not quite sure about them all to be honest :frown: They all seem too risky, Manchesters cut off last year was 665! Thank you so much again :smile:
Hello!:smile: Thank you so much for your reply! I used the online calculator for Birmingham and it said 'considered for interview' as you get a score out of 10, I got 8 point something and last years cutoff was 6 point something, do you think it would be worth it or have I not got enough A*s?? Yeah I looked into Cardiff and I would score 24/27, would this definitely be too low as I have heard often the cut off changes??? For Nottingham I would score 39/47 I think which people have been guessing to be the cut off, not quite sure about them all to be honest :frown: They all seem too risky, Manchesters cut off last year was 665! Thank you so much again :smile:

I don't think Cardiff cut off changes more than 1 point maybe 2. It is the first point of call for anybody with great GCSEs and especially those with low UKCAT. Think it would be a waste but it's your call obviously!
Okay then, thank you for your advice I will probably avoid Cardiff then, I'm thinking of applying to Hull York, Nottingham and Manchester, what do you think about Birmingham??? Or have you got any other recommendations for me which I would have a better chance? Thank you again :smile:
Okay then, thank you for your advice I will probably avoid Cardiff then, I'm thinking of applying to Hull York, Nottingham and Manchester, what do you think about Birmingham??? Or have you got any other recommendations for me which I would have a better chance? Thank you again :smile:

Leicester - a bit like Notts as have a scoring system on their website

Sheffield (going on UKCAT this year for first time so cut off Unknown but maybe be worth looking at as hopefully won't be huge first time out)

Liverpool. You get max on your GCSEs *s and As both get 2 points.

Birmingham sounds good if you get 8 on their system and last years cut off was 6.something.

Avoid very heavy UKCAT e.g. Newcastle and Southampton

The cardiff cut off hasnt changed since 2014/2013 entry for cardiff, so that is a long time ago now (its 26/27 by the way). i think the reason why it doesnt change to much is because Cardiff is known to be one of the most GCSE heavy medical schools, is known to have a pretty strict cut off and doesnt really look at the UKCAT, so it is the ideal place to apply if you have:
- amazing GCSE grades (which a lot of medical applicants have)
- a lower UKCAT (which isnt uncommon).
due to this each year many many people with amazing GCSE grades apply and I personally think this is why the cut off hasnt budged for a number of years.

No worries! :smile: A score of 8 is very good so I guess you could apply although we can never be certain. A lot of applicants will have 8A*s + which is why I decided not to apply. But you have a pretty high score so I don't see why not. From what I read about Nottingham, 39 is the cut-off indeed. For Manchester, since you meet the cut-off you could apply. You could also think of Queen Mary maybe. They look at the UKCAT and your academic profile 50:50. Although I am not exactly sure, I think your UCKAT is good enough for Queen Mary. I understand how you feel!! It is rather frustrating but in the end everything will fall into place hopefully. Good luck and don't hesitate to message me if you need anything! :smile:
Original post by newgirl66
Leicester - a bit like Notts as have a scoring system on their website

Sheffield (going on UKCAT this year for first time so cut off Unknown but maybe be worth looking at as hopefully won't be huge first time out)

Liverpool. You get max on your GCSEs *s and As both get 2 points.

Birmingham sounds good if you get 8 on their system and last years cut off was 6.something.

Avoid very heavy UKCAT e.g. Newcastle and Southampton

Thank youuu, I will look into Leicester now!! Yeah I am avoiding them, I really loved Newcastle at first but my UKCAT is nowhere near high enough unfortunately :frown: I will have a look at the others as well too! Thank you again :smile:
No worries! :smile: A score of 8 is very good so I guess you could apply although we can never be certain. A lot of applicants will have 8A*s + which is why I decided not to apply. But you have a pretty high score so I don't see why not. From what I read about Nottingham, 39 is the cut-off indeed. For Manchester, since you meet the cut-off you could apply. You could also think of Queen Mary maybe. They look at the UKCAT and your academic profile 50:50. Although I am not exactly sure, I think your UCKAT is good enough for Queen Mary. I understand how you feel!! It is rather frustrating but in the end everything will fall into place hopefully. Good luck and don't hesitate to message me if you need anything! :smile:

I know its all really risky!! :smile: I'm the same that's why I am considering not applying to Birmingham, I will ring them tomorrow and ask about it. Its very close as well for both Nottingham and Manchester, yeah thank you I will look into Queen Mary too!! I feel in the middle in terms of my stats and everything and don't want to risk being rejected by them all :frown: Hopefully it will do, thank you so much!! I will do, where abouts are you in terms of medicine if you don't mind me asking?? :smile:
Hey guys, I need some urgent help choosing my uni list. I am an international student and my stats are as follows:

IGCSEs: 5A* 5A UKCAT: 660 avg., Band 3. (610,770,600) A-levels: (Predicted) 2A* 2A
I have some work experience and my PS is pretty decent.

What do you guys think my choices are? I really want to apply to QMUL and Birmingham (got a score of 6.583), do you think I'd get an interview? Other options that come to my mind are: SGUL, UEA and Liverpool. If there are any other unis you think I'll stand a chance of getting an interview in, please let me know. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
IB: at least a 42, most likely a 43

HLs are 777, chemistry biology and maths,
SL econs 7, Ab japanese 6 but most likely 7, english 5 :frown:

UKCAT- 2100, average 700
VR: 600
QR: 770
AR: 730
SJ: band 2

No IGCSEs or IGCSE equivalents, took ap chinese language and culture and attained a 5.

Work experience:
1. volunteered at a hospice for terminally ill cancer patients for 2 weeks
2. Shadowed under a doctor for a week
3. Initiated free weekly computer lessons at a Down Syndrome Association centre (been going on for almost a year)
4. Field trips to visit charitable socio-engineering projects like drug rehab centres and boarding schools for the less fortunate
5. Conducted experiments on Quorum Quenching (a possible sustainable antimicrobial alternative) in my local university's biotech department, gave me experience on medical research. This was for my extended essay.

Extra curricular interests
Drums, taking grade 8- played for school ensemble, graduation nights and charity events
A number of MUN conferences
Tennis, represented school

I plan to apply to:
Imperial
UCL
Queens
fourth unsure, Kings?

I chose these universities since the first three has no IGCSE requirement (I emailed the admissions and they said it was unnecessary since I already take the required subjects in IB). I also chose them for the number of seats they offer since I am an international student.

I have no background in physics at all, so I will have to study for that for the BMAT I believe that the BMAT guide provided by cambridge will be sufficient? Any advice on this would be much appreciated

Does anyone know of a good 4th choice that would be considered 'safe' with regards to my ukcat and academic scores?
What are my chances of getting into Imperial with a prediction of 6 in SL maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are my chances of getting into Imperial with a prediction of 6 in SL maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or in any medical school for that matter. This is because I know that maths is really important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5995
Hi, Guys, please help :| Sat my UKCAT yesterday, didn't do very well, got:
VR 500
AR 590
QR 780
Avg ^623, SJ band 2
I have achieved grades at A level at AAAB

one uni I'm considering is Cardiff, because they don't weigh UKCAT that much, but, I'm at a disadvantage when it come to their pre-interview admission policy because in my country, students in public schools are only allowed to take 6 GCSE'sMy grades are A*A*A*A*A*AThey had it on their website that should it be limited as such, that I should mail them. I mailed them yesterday about it, but got an automated reply and nothing after that yet, am I too late? anyone with any advice on this?

The other place I'm thinking of is Barts and the London. They weigh UCAS tarrif and UKCAT at 50:50 in pre-interview admission while requiring a minimum tarrif of 144 and UKCAT in the third decile, My UKCAT is in the third decile for last year and also third decile for the interim results of this year ( so I'm hoping ill still be in the third decile when the final statistics are released on the 7th )The reason I'm considering Barts is that I might have an advantage when it comes to UCAS tarrif. An A*A*A* at A level will give a tarrif of 168, my tarrif is 216 thanks to 4 A levels and an A in CIE ESOL CAE So my question is, would that give me a good chance?

I'm also considering applying to the A900 programme at St Gerorge ( Medicine for international students) . However, I don't meet the cutoff score for last years A100 programme, and I don't think i'll meet it this year. I have tried to find out if they impose a cutoff for the A900 prgramme and had no luck. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Also might consider Bristol, don't know if my ps will be good enough though, I was deputy head boy and then an year later, Head boy at my school. Prefect for 5 years. Also founded and Chaired on the executive and Organisational board of an NGO for two years. ( working for the NGO, I was a big part of organizing and executing social events that required communication and delegational skills ). Also currently a volunteer at another NGO that deals with similar stuff. These aren't medically related, and I'm hoping to provide medical insight other ways as I have been unable to get employed after school. Can I make a good case? Any advice?
Even if it's not related to what I have shared, any other advice and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
hi everyone,

would a ukcat score of 687 be worth applying for sheffield as they now purely rank uckat scores?

Reply 5997
Hi, need help. Just did my UKCAT and I'm not sure if my choices are good or not

GCSE:
Year 09 : EC
Year 10 : CA
Year 11 : A*A*A*A*AAAD
With A* in Maths, A in English Language,
A* in Physics, A in Biology, A in Chemistry.

AS:
AAB in Biology, Maths and Chemistry

A level predicted:
A*AA in in Biology, Maths, Chemistry

UKCAT:
SJT: Band 1
QR: 710
AR: 720
VR: 560
Average: 663 - Band 1.

My current list is:
Imperial (BMAT - GCSE's not looked at)
Leicester (UKCAT - GCSE's looked at)
Newcastle (UKCAT - GCSE's looked at)
Nottingham (UKCAT - GCSE's not looked at)

How are my choices? Should I even bother with Medicine?
Hi all, I'm close to making up my mind but would be great if anyone could come up with a few other suggestions.
GCSEs 7A* 2 A (+ further math at A*)
UKCAT 1965 - AVG 655 SJT 1
Don't want to count on higher than AAA at A2
So far my choices are Liverpool, Hull-York, Nottingham, SGUL, others I'm thinking of are East Anglia, Leicester & Aberdeen (but it's really far away)
Any advice thanks
Original post by aspiringmed2017
hi everyone,

would a ukcat score of 687 be worth applying for sheffield as they now purely rank uckat scores?

Most likely, yes :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending