The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Hi guys, i could really do with some advice, quote me so i know whos responded! thanks in advance

GCSE's: 10 A*'s 1A
AS: A,A(just about),B,C
A2 predicted: AA*AB (maths, chem, bio, history)
UCKAT: 640 (low i know)
BMAT: going to take

My thinking at the moment:
Kings? (i know i have a low UKCAT but GCSE's are good?)
Bristol
Nottingham (not sure about this choice, i dont know much about their application process)
Imperial? (my biggest question mark...)

anything you'd recommend i change? ooh and i decided not to apply to birmingham so not there please!
Just done my UKCAT, Didint go to well but I cant complain
got an average of 630
Im Looking to apply to:
Bristol
St George
Lancaster
Cant Decide Between Leicester or Liverpool
Am I digging my own grave with any of the choices, feel free to message me
Thanks in advance

How highly do Southampton regard UKCAT, does anybody know last years cut-off
Based on my academics:
GCSE: 4.5A*'s and 5A's
AS: Maths, Chemistry and Biology- A and B- History (which I've now dropped)
A2 Predictions: AAA
UKCAT: 650

My choices currently stand at Aberdeen/Dundee, Nottingham, Leicester and UEA.
Should I avoid applying to any of these universities?
Reply 1383
Ok, here's the deal. I may be crazy :woo: , but this is my application:

GCSEs: 8A*s, A, B
AS: AABB
Biology - 93%
French - 92%
Chemistry - 79.3%
Physics - 77.6%

A2 Predictions: A*A*A

UKCAT: 652.5 (VR: 620, QR: 700, AR: 530, DA: 760)

Work Experience: 3 weeks
Voluntary work in a ward: 1 week

Choices:
Oxford
UCL
Kings
Bristol

What do you think?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1384
tom72
Hi guys, i could really do with some advice, quote me so i know whos responded! thanks in advance

GCSE's: 10 A*'s 1A
AS: A,A(just about),B,C
A2 predicted: AA*AB (maths, chem, bio, history)
UCKAT: 640 (low i know)
BMAT: going to take

My thinking at the moment:
Kings? (i know i have a low UKCAT but GCSE's are good?)
Bristol
Nottingham (not sure about this choice, i dont know much about their application process)
Imperial? (my biggest question mark...)

anything you'd recommend i change? ooh and i decided not to apply to birmingham so not there please!

I'd say go for Imperial as an optimistic choice, Kings as well (I'm applying there with 8A*s and UKCAT of 652), but I don't know the other 2 very well...
what do southampton base their decision on when giving offers, I want to go there but think my chances may be hindered with a ukcat average of 630
Hi.

I applied to medicine last year, but was not lucky enough to get in. i am re-applying this year hoping that I will be slightly luckier this time round. I know there are many threads out there which relate to mine and i have browsed through most of them. However, I have not come to a conclusive decision as of yet. Could you please recommend some unis (That I should apply to or avoid) based on the following:

A-Level: Maths A*, Biology A*, Chemistry A ( But like to go up to an A*)
AS-level: Physics A
GCSEs: 7 A*, 1A, 1B, 1C
UKCAT Score: VR 530, QR 790, AR 660, DA 850 (Average of 707.5)
Work experience: - Previous 2 years- Many days worth voluntary work at a Care centre and two local hospitals.
- Will be doing a gap year - Five months worth of Research/Voluntary/observatory work.

Considering the above, which universities should I apply to? Sorry if such threads have been posted before and thanks in advance. :smile:
Reply 1387
pedrampanahi
Hi.

I applied to medicine last year, but was not lucky enough to get in. i am re-applying this year hoping that I will be slightly luckier this time round. I know there are many threads out there which relate to mine and i have browsed through most of them. However, I have not come to a conclusive decision as of yet. Could you please recommend some unis (That I should apply to or avoid) based on the following:

A-Level: Maths A*, Biology A*, Chemistry A ( But like to go up to an A*)
AS-level: Physics A
GCSEs: 7 A*, 1A, 1B, 1C
UKCAT Score: VR 530, QR 790, AR 660, DA 850 (Average of 707.5)
Work experience: - Previous 2 years- Many days worth voluntary work at a Care centre and two local hospitals.
- Will be doing a gap year - Five months worth of Research/Voluntary/observatory work.

Considering the above, which universities should I apply to? Sorry if such threads have been posted before and thanks in advance. :smile:

Sorry OP I am not replying to your question here as I am a gap year re-applicant to, so I'm not entirely confident in giving you advice. But just as I'm reading your post you seem to have brilliant academics and UKCAT so the rest will depend on your PS and interview. But, I guess you can apply anywhere that interests you really. i.e the location, the course structure, teaching styles. So Good Luck in that.

A question a bit off topic : How did you prepare for UKCAT? How long? Any tips or advice you could share? I would greatly appreciate it! :smile:

Thanks.
Im in a dilemma, where do you think I should apply with the following?, i want to send my application off tomorrow.

GCES's: 3A*s, 6As, 1B.
AS: AAAB, (Biol,Chem,ICT,Maths)
A2 predictions: AAA (Biol,Chem,ICT)
UKCAT: 635 Average.

I dont really have a preference as to the place, just not a million miles away from north wales :biggrin:

Thread moved.
(edited 13 years ago)
Not to sure about my choices, considering Leicester, Bristol, Leeds and Manchester at the moment.

GCSE's - 6A*'s, 4A's, 1B
AS Level - A A A B (A* Pre U Mock) - Mat(now dropped), Bio, Phy, Chem, Philo/Theo(Pre U)
A Level Predictions: A*A*A*(/D2) A
UKCAT - 675 average (630, 650, 660, 760)

At little worried about Manchester because I think it could be a bit risky with my UKCAT. And a bit concerned with Leeds/Bristol as whilst I can talk a lot about my work experience, it isn't fantastically varied.

Anyone got any suggestions as to other Uni's? Or if Manchester is too much of a risk?

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
can someone please help me decide between newcastle, leicester or leeds for medicine?! Its my final choice.

Anything about the city, uni, course, admissions etc that might sway me one way or another. Just so you know, dissection is good :smile: , PBL is bad :mad: .

:p:
PBL is bad so on that note go leeds. Brilliant city, brilliant environment, leicester is probably going to get shut down due to funding issues. So go leeds!
Leeds for sure! great city, great people. GO GO GO
then after that I'd say
Newcastle( I live here )
then Leicester
iceman_jondoe
PBL is bad so on that note go leeds. Brilliant city, brilliant environment, leicester is probably going to get shut down due to funding issues. So go leeds!

Funding issues? :confused:

What are these issues exactly?
senator88
Leeds for sure! great city, great people. GO GO GO
then after that I'd say
Newcastle( I live here )
then Leicester

Haha can someone please explain why leeds is so 'brilliant'/'great'?? :o:
TheProcrastinator
Haha can someone please explain why leeds is so 'brilliant'/'great'?? :o:

it just is, people are nice, fun, amazing nightlife and shopping, loads to do. i can't tell you anything about the course this is just my opinion on the city :smile:
senator88
it just is, people are nice, fun, amazing nightlife and shopping, loads to do. i can't tell you anything about the course this is just my opinion on the city :smile:

So whats the uni itself like?
TheProcrastinator
So whats the uni itself like?

I've never been to the uni but according to most people i know its really good, loads of people, actually nearly everyone in my year at my school are putting it as one of their choices, a few of my friends went to the open day and were really impressed. why dont you do some more research into all of the unis though?
just a short q, trying to work out whether manchester is a good choice for me, with 695 on the ukcat, am i cutting it fine? just worried the scores will increase considerably this year.

same with barts and hyms (other two ukcat unis im thinking of), im also going for soton possibly, but they don't use it much.

general academics etc:

gcse: 6a* 3a b
alevel: AAAB (achieved, completed june09)
ukcat: 695 av.

Latest

Trending

Trending