The Student Room Group

GCSE's influencing degrees?

I intend to apply for classics at universities such as Birimingham/Manchester/Liverpool, who all state their requirements as BBB. I'm well on course for those grades at A level but fear the fact that GCSE's are taken into account too. I messed up greatly in school and my grades were not pretty to look at, predominantly C's.
As such few univeristies do classics, I'm scared that having applied to these, I get rejected in favour of students who did better at GCSE, and don't get to study the subject I love at all!
Does anybody know the level of influence of GCSE's on an application?
MâthewJ
I intend to apply for classics at universities such as Birimingham/Manchester/Liverpool, who all state their requirements as BBB. I'm well on course for those grades at A level but fear the fact that GCSE's are taken into account too. I messed up greatly in school and my grades were not pretty to look at, predominantly C's.
As such few univeristies do classics, I'm scared that having applied to these, I get rejected in favour of students who did better at GCSE, and don't get to study the subject I love at all!
Does anybody know the level of influence of GCSE's on an application?

Depends what university.

Were your AS levels good?
My GCSEs aren't fantastic and I initially got offers from Manchester/Cardiff/Newcastle/Edinburgh & Notts - it's not always essential depending on your subject / strength of your AS/A2 results : )
Besides asking for a C+ at GCSE in the core subjects, most places dont really seem to consider GCSEs much OR they will have specific requirements for certain courses. Such as asking for a GCSE grade A in maths. Check the specifications for your course at your chosen Universities and as long as you meet those Im sure you will be fine.
Reply 4
are your maths/language ones better or not?
Reply 5
I got abb at AS...
Do you have experience of Latin/Greek? Only saying this because my college used to offer casual classes in these and it always impressed Classics tutors.

Latest