The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hi guys, would just like some advice on my A-level choices. I have opted for Maths, Further Maths, Economics and then one out of Physics/English but I am not sure which one to choose out of those two. I have always been an analytical person, I love writing and analysing things and the world around me and loved English literature gcse achieving a very high grade 9 with only 4 marks off of full marks. In physics, however, I also achieved a grade 9 and did like it throughout GCSE as well, but probably not as much as English. I did want to do a science for a level though at least one as I managed to get a grade 9 in all 3 sciences and sciences are also well regarded. As for future career prospects, I want to go into Economics or Maths or a career related to STEM but not Engineering or Computer Science. As for careers relating to English, I dont really have a specific career in mind and I dont feel as if I am suited to Law, even though it seems interesting, because I am not the best public speaker and am more articulate in writing. I am thus stuck on this major decision of whether to pick physics or English? Which opens up the most career prospects or is most preferred/needed to do an economics degree at uni as this is what I am mainly thinking to go for.
Reply 1
Thank you so so much for this response, it is good to hear that this combination of English paired with Maths, Further Maths and Economics worked out well for you! Do you feel that you had any advantage of doing English with those subjects (as in did it help with Economics?) the only reason I'm inclined more towards thinking to do Physics is because I like learning concepts and doing questions in the way that sciences are and it links so well to mechanics in maths and I feel opens more doors? also I feel a bit weird dropping physics cos i got 9s in all 3 sciences thus not doing a science feels weird at a level. english however is just another essay based subject like econ and therefore could be dropped? What sort of careers could I go into if I do English or what would be its purpose if I did keep it, as I really do love it but am disheartened by the fact that it may not be as useful as Physics.
Reply 2
Hi there, so I ended up taking both physics and english literature for my a-levels surprisingly so I am currently doing 5 a levels: maths, further maths, economics, physics and english lit. Now it has come to the time where I have realised this is just too much and its burning me out and isnt sustainable in the long-run. I have started Economics and I love it; its very interesting and related to the real world and it is my first choice for a degree. However, I am confused which 4th subject would be best to take out of physics or english. I am in the same dilemma as before. As of my performance in both subjects, they are at equals- I am good at both and also enjoy both equally. Would universities prefer any of the two slightly more for an economics degree, as I genuinely do not know what to drop and basing it off now on what unis would best prefer?
Original post by iamcool101
Hi guys, would just like some advice on my A-level choices. I have opted for Maths, Further Maths, Economics and then one out of Physics/English but I am not sure which one to choose out of those two. I have always been an analytical person, I love writing and analysing things and the world around me and loved English literature gcse achieving a very high grade 9 with only 4 marks off of full marks. In physics, however, I also achieved a grade 9 and did like it throughout GCSE as well, but probably not as much as English. I did want to do a science for a level though at least one as I managed to get a grade 9 in all 3 sciences and sciences are also well regarded. As for future career prospects, I want to go into Economics or Maths or a career related to STEM but not Engineering or Computer Science. As for careers relating to English, I dont really have a specific career in mind and I dont feel as if I am suited to Law, even though it seems interesting, because I am not the best public speaker and am more articulate in writing. I am thus stuck on this major decision of whether to pick physics or English? Which opens up the most career prospects or is most preferred/needed to do an economics degree at uni as this is what I am mainly thinking to go for.

Hi! I think it sounds like your passion is with English (although well done on getting such great grades in both English and Physics, that's a brilliant achievement!) I studied English A-Level and I loved it so much! I think ultimately, A-levels can be really challenging, so making sure that you love the subjects you're doing will make it easier for you to work really hard at them and the experience of doing them will be amazing. You'll find it's more what you studied at uni that influences your job prospects rather than A level necessarily, so I wouldn't worry too much!

Quick Reply

Latest