The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Noerchen88
I think everybody would think differently if it was their own child/ sister/ maybe themselves being raped. And I think it's disgusting that so many people support him. They surely wouldn't if it was their daughter that he raped! I wouldn't even want to talk to a person like that! Justice is the same for everybody and just because you won an oscar doesn't change that.

civil action = money = happiness
UGeNe
civil action = money = happiness

you dont get a civil action for rape, there is no tort of rape, there is no delict for ravishment, there is only a criminal charge....
A lot of the points brought up here are discussed on BBC's WHS podcast 28 September here (or go on iTunes). Interesting listen.
silent ninja
A lot of the points brought up here are discussed on BBC's WHS podcast 28 September here (or go on iTunes). Interesting listen.

true it is interesting, however i dont see how have a difficult life, as some people on there are putting forward in his favour, is any excuse for crime.

in britain and america we have no "troubled childhood" defence, and if you sleep with a 13 year old, that is THREE years below the age of consent, you will be punished as the pedophile you are!
Apparently whoopi turdburg is supporting this pervert. Well it's hardly a surprise, hollywood is full of freaks. I don't care if his wife was murdered in a brutal fashion, that doesn't give him the right to bugger a young girl.

It is was more than statutory rape in my opinion. This wasn't the case of some lovestruck teenager being taken advantage of by a sad older man, he drugged her and got her drunk. and despite her saying 'NO' several times penatrated her mutiple times, vaginally and anally,

Heres another one who needs to killing.
Reply 65
LiveFastDieYoung
you dont get a civil action for rape, there is no tort of rape, there is no delict for ravishment, there is only a criminal charge....

The victim did get money from a civil action.

Check google, my friend. :yep:
Reply 66
Ministerdonut
Apparently whoopi turdburg is supporting this pervert. Well it's hardly a surprise, hollywood is full of freaks. I don't care if his wife was murdered in a brutal fashion, that doesn't give him the right to bugger a young girl.

It is was more than statutory rape in my opinion. This wasn't the case of some lovestruck teenager being taken advantage of by a sad older man, he drugged her and got her drunk. and despite her saying 'NO' several times penatrated her mutiple times, vaginally and anally,

Heres another one who needs to killing.

Holocaust messes with one's mind...:confused:
UGeNe
The victim did get money from a civil action.

Check google, my friend. :yep:

not for rape though..........

civil action for upset feelings yes? entirely separate from the act of rape!
Reply 68
LiveFastDieYoung
not for rape though..........

civil action for upset feelings yes? entirely separate from the act of rape!

Money doesn't smell.

I bet it was in the area of a million US dollars.
LiveFastDieYoung
Correct me if im wrong, but he pleaded guilty to an act of paedophilia with a 13 year old girl, and then skipped country to avoid the charges. I fail to see why, just because hes a talented director, he should avoid justice??

why is he getting so much support? am i missing something? were the accusations unfounded or something??

People always will support this man because of the fact his pregnant wife and several friends were murdered when he was away on a business trip, his long term fans think that the guilt/remorse caused depression spiralled Polanski to drive him to do what he did.

There's a lot of conflicting opinions and ideas, I am not one to support whatever happened nor condone it. But the fame hungry mother of the 13 year old had questionable reasons for pushing her daughter on a troubled celebrity, that she knew was going to Anjelica Huston/Jack Nicholson (alleged known drug users of the time) house.
The judge in the case was also biased, he spoke with media outlets and it did not make a fair case.
Reply 70
bexicle89
People always will support this man because of the fact his pregnant wife and several friends were murdered when he was away on a business trip, his long term fans think that the guilt/remorse spiralled Polanski to drive him to do what he did.

There's a lot of conflicting opinions and ideas, I am not one to support whatever happened nor condone it. But the fame hungry mother of the 13 year old had questionable reasons for pushing her daughter on a troubled celebrity, that she knew was going to Anjelica Huston/Jack Nicholson (alleged known drug users of the time) house.
The judge in the case was also biased, he spoke with media outlets and it did not make a fair case.

he pled guilty, what fairness are you talking about?

He should get no more no less than other criminals of this sort plus additional time for evading justice for 30 odd years...
UGeNe
he pled guilty, what fairness are you talking about?

He should get no more no less than other criminals of this sort plus additional time for evading justice for 30 odd years...

As I have mentioned, there have been factors of the trial that are suspected of being tainted, as years later it was revealed the mother was partly at fault for pushing her daughter on an emotionally destroyed person and that the judge had biased tendencies.
I know that he pled guilty and I know that he is guilty of a historic rape. But I do not agree with the notion that he is being branded as a paedophile.

He recently appealed to have the conviction overturned, so he could visit his wife and sons grave. This was of course denied, so I believe he will be extradited and sentenced, but there is going to be a divide in peoples opinion... on another note the woman who murdered his wife died last week.
Reply 72
bexicle89
As I have mentioned, there have been factors of the trial that are suspected of being tainted, as years later it was revealed the mother was partly at fault for pushing her daughter on an emotionally destroyed person and that the judge had biased tendencies.
I know that he pled guilty and I know that he is guilty of a historic rape. But I do not agree with the notion that he is being branded as a paedophile.

He recently appealed to have the conviction overturned, so he could visit his wife and sons grave. This was of course denied, so I believe he will be extradited and sentenced, but there is going to be a divide in peoples opinion... on another note the woman who murdered his wife died last week.

Nothing justifies what he did. Period.

Unless he is going with a mental defect defense or severe emotional distress or something along those lines...:yep:

P.S. once convicted, he will be placed on a list for the rest of his natural life, he wouldn't be able to visit the US after he is released, so he wouldn't see his relatives' graves at all (in theory, of course)
UGeNe
Nothing justifies what he did. Period.

Unless he is going with a mental defect defense or severe emotional distress or something along those lines...

P.S. once convicted, he will be placed on a list for the rest of his natural life, he wouldn't be able to visit the US after he is released, so he wouldn't see his relatives' graves at all (in theory, of course)

He has already been convicted though hasn't he? He just wasn't sentenced??! (I'm not quite sure how it works tbh)

He can't go with some mental biased defence because he was using drugs, and that impairs judgement... I think that would work against him other than sympathise.

Cmon any prison sentence he was likely of getting 30 years ago was 30-40 years and he is 70s so its not looking too good.

Like I said, I just have an issue with people calling him a paedophile, because he has children of his own now.
Reply 74
bexicle89
He has already been convicted though hasn't he? He just wasn't sentenced??! (I'm not quite sure how it works tbh)

He can't go with some mental biased defence because he was using drugs, and that impairs judgement... I think that would work against him other than sympathise.

Cmon any prison sentence he was likely of getting 30 years ago was 30-40 years and he is 70s so its not looking too good.

Like I said, I just have an issue with people calling him a paedophile, because he has children of his own now.

Michael Jackson had children, too. So?
He isn't a paedophile. The girl wasn't prepubescent. I can't stand the ignorance of everyone's knowledge of the word. She was underage, it was illegal and he should be locked up. But he isn't a paedophile no matter what way you look at it.
Reply 76
LiveFastDieYoung
Correct me if im wrong, but he pleaded guilty to an act of paedophilia with a 13 year old girl, and then skipped country to avoid the charges. I fail to see why, just because hes a talented director, he should avoid justice??

why is he getting so much support? am i missing something? were the accusations unfounded or something??

Come on most 13 yr old girls are asking for it....
Her age is not even relevant. What he was accused of would be rape whether she was 13 or 50.
UGeNe
Michael Jackson had children, too. So?

Michael Jackson was aquitted for his allegations, so I don't know what possible true reference you could be making.
Reply 79
bexicle89
Michael Jackson was aquitted for his allegations, so I don't know what possible true reference you could be making.

Jackson was as innocent as OJ.

Whether Polanski is a paedophile or not is a point of pedantry to be decided by the OED's definition of the word. He raped a child and deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail.

Latest

Trending

Trending