The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Andy the Anarchist
Well by definition, relative to the rest of the planet, we are the super rich.

George happens to be on the money when arguing that the impact on climate change resulting from population growth is minimal when that growth occurs in demographics with comparatively low carbon emissions.

Yes, but what George doesn't adress, is realtiy. Of course sub Saharan Africa is going to have low emissions. They can't afford cars, or planes or trains. Is he suggesting we throw away our wealth and live like them? He seems like an intelligent guy, so i am guessing the answer is no. Hence why i accused him of unwarranted self importance and classism. He has written a sensationalist article in which he puts a clever spin on third world emission stats, before coming to the conclusion that super yachts and other rich mans toys are to blame. His prejudice is transparent
I personally feel that population has as little to do with it as the super rich. It is the transition between economic status that causes large amounts of carbon emissions. China is the best example. Their population increases have actually been slowing significantly over the last decade, yet their carbon emissions have been rising dramatically, most probably down to the ungodly number of coal fueled power plants they are building each month. It has more to do with industry and manufacture which is directly related to the prosperity of the people, than population or the toys of the super rich.
Reply 21
Aeolus
Yes, but what George doesn't adress, is realtiy. Of course sub Saharan Africa is going to have low emissions. They can't afford cars, or planes or trains. Is he suggesting we throw away our wealth and live like them? He seems like an intelligent guy, so i am guessing the answer is no. Hence why i accused him of unwarranted self importance and classism. He has written a sensationalist article in which he puts a clever spin on third world emission stats, before coming to the conclusion that super yachts and other rich mans toys are to blame. His prejudice is transparent
I personally feel that population has as little to do with it as the super rich. It is the transition between economic status that causes large amounts of carbon emissions. China is the best example. Their population increases have actually been slowing significantly over the last decade, yet their carbon emissions have been rising dramatically, most probably down to the ungodly number of coal fueled power plants they are building each month. It has more to do with industry and manufacture which is directly related to the prosperity of the people, than population or the toys of the super rich.

A fair point and one I agree with. However I do think taxing the rich more for their extravagant emissions is appropriate. However this would only work if it's done in coalition with other countries, as they would just emigrate.

Latest

Trending

Trending