The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Joseph90
We used to be intelligent. There was a time where universal education could make us all literate and able to create some of the finest works of art in the world.

Now people have been dumbed down. We have been dumbed down by the dross on TV, the replacement electronic media has made of written media, the need for alcohol as well as the obsession and desire for sex. We have been deluded and blinded. On top of this, we have mortgaged ourselves up to our necks and dug out the plastic to fuel our addiction to clothes, cars and bigger houses. We're paying for it now.

What happened to us?

Discuss.

(This is not my opinion but just one side of an argument. Don't call me an idiot or leave me prepubescent other insults and neg rep. Prove the above words wrong or right depending on what you want you want do.)

Not come across this universal education to make us all literate.
Is this something new?
Reply 21
I disagree, I think Britain and the British population are in a better state than in 'ye olden dayes'. Just one example, 500 years ago and more everybody believed in witches. Nowadays (most) don't. I would call that an improvement.
I blame America.
Reply 23
Media student
its Materisalsim

Materialistic describes a person who is markedly more concerned with material things (such as money and possessions) rather than spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values; an adherent of materialism (Wikipedia)

Says the guy with the sport car sig :tongue:
Reply 24
Years ago you needed to be good at something to accomplish something. e.g you needed to be really clever or you needed to be a great artist. Nowadays, you can just breeze along in a world of your own, and get along fine, with hardly any work, and sitting in front of the TV each night for hours on end. Obviously the harder workers are more successful now, but now anyone can do **** all and have a good life. Which has lead to lazyness, and a "watering down" of the nation.
Reply 25
Joseph90
We used to be intelligent. There was a time where universal education could make us all literate and able to create some of the finest works of art in the world.

Now people have been dumbed down. We have been dumbed down by the dross on TV, the replacement electronic media has made of written media, the need for alcohol as well as the obsession and desire for sex. We have been deluded and blinded. On top of this, we have mortgaged ourselves up to our necks and dug out the plastic to fuel our addiction to clothes, cars and bigger houses. We're paying for it now.

What happened to us?

Discuss.

(This is not my opinion but just one side of an argument. Don't call me an idiot or leave me prepubescent other insults and neg rep. Prove the above words wrong or right depending on what you want you want do.)

In your opinion, which countries are better?
I think people need to stop imagining a 'golden-age' in Britain - it was never perfect.

Yes, we have our problems, but so do all countries. I do blame the media in large, particularly The Sun and Daily Mail. They are absolute drivel, yet are the most popular newspapers in the country. I think people no longer feel required to think independently about things (not that they ever necessarily did) - they simply accept what they're told.

But I definitely don't think religion is the answer. Adhering to archaic tradition, and more accepting of what we've been told, will get us nowhere.
Thats all ********. Materialism is rife worldwide. The upper castes of India, China, Dubai etc are astonishingly greedy. They absolutely love the western brands. No guilt about Mcdonalds or sweatshops there at all.
Reply 28
Isn't it just the 'British Way' to cast as much negative light as possible on any situation? (Maybe slightly overexaggerated) As much as people think British children are getting dumber by the day, exam results seem to indicate an opposite trend (Although I'm not sure how reliable that trend is:p:).

If one were to take a look at Music trends, I would definitely say the British public is getting infinitely dumber! :p: (Ooh, Controversial, keke)
Reply 29
Joseph90

Now people have been dumbed down. We have been dumbed down by the dross on TV, the replacement electronic media has made of written media, the need for alcohol as well as the obsession and desire for sex. We have been deluded and blinded. On top of this, we have mortgaged ourselves up to our necks and dug out the plastic to fuel our addiction to clothes, cars and bigger houses.

I hear about people like this all the time, but I have never met anyone.

I don't really watch tv other than newsnight and this week, I pay no attention to celebrity gossip and stuff, and I don't own any CDs, DVDs or videogames. I don't spend much money on clothes. As a result, I don't have any debt. I have a car, but I'm not bothered about the make as long as it gets me from A to B. I don't feel the need to try to impress people.

All of my friends are similar. We do happy, healthy intelligent things like playing lots of sport, playing musical instruments and reading books. OK, we also occasioanlly drink alcohol to relax and have sex with girls, but I don't think that is so strange.

Who are these people you speak of? They certainly didn't go to any of the universities I went to. I think they're a myth created by the newspapers you read. "Broken Britain" and all that bull ****.

Latest

Trending

Trending