The Student Room Group

Laser Weapon. The waiting is over.

This video shows the effect of the high-energy laser beam from the Boeing Advanced Tactical Laser (ATL), fired at a stationary truck from a US Air Force NC-130H flying over White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico, on August 30, 2009. The ATL is a chemical oxygen iodine laser (COIL), and is a scaled-down version of the megawatt-class high-energy laser in the Boeing YAL-1 Airborne Laser (ABL). ABL and ATL are both technology demonstration programs. For more, check Aviation Week's Ares blog

Video Demonstration

I think this would be much more painful than being shot with a bullet.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where's the pew pew? :frown:
Yeah, it's pretty cool. It's meant to be a missile defence primarily, though.
Harv616
Where's the pew pew? :frown:

That's Star Wars laser.

This is more the having James Bond strapped to a table with his legs apart and then running a laser starting from the testicle up the the head type laser.

I expect you to die Mr Bond!
Reply 4
Conspiracy.
where is the red laser?
where is the pew pew sound?

this laser fails
Reply 6
infernalcradle
where is the red laser?
where is the pew pew sound?

this laser fails

Red?

It should be Green! :shoot:
Harv616
Red?

It should be Green! :mad:

it was never green in goldeneye, or any of the fillms, therefore it must be red
Reply 8
Fire the "laser"!
Reply 9
infernalcradle
it was never green in goldeneye, or any of the fillms, therefore it must be red

:shoot:
RamocitoMorales
I think this would be much more painful than being shot with a bullet.

In your considerable experience? :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Why wasn't there a beam?

OR pew pew.

This sucks, lol

neway i think you would be dead if it hit you and it would be a different kind of wound, it would be more of a bhurn then the gaping flesh wound a bullet leaves.
Reply 12
They need to make this into some sort of handheld rifle form.

Also, it needs a pew pew sound.
Doesn't seem to be much penetration. Gotta wonder how effective a weapon it'd make.
Cowtipper
Doesn't seem to be much penetration. Gotta wonder how effective a weapon it'd make.

It's an anti-personnel weapon, effectively the equivalent of an aerial sniper rifle. It's mounted in a modified AC-130 gunship.

I imagine that it would be extremely painful, debilitating and probably lethal if applied to human flesh.

Also, my mistake in my first post - it's not designed to shoot down missiles. That's another type of laser they're developing.

The US military makes some cool stuff, though. They're experimenting with railguns that could eventually be deployed on their new Zumwalt-class destroyers.
Reply 15
I'd rather play with the laser pens lol
Reply 16
Aren't laser weapons banned under the Geneva Convention?
Aphotic Cosmos
It's an anti-personnel weapon, effectively the equivalent of an aerial sniper rifle. It's mounted in a modified AC-130 gunship.

I imagine that it would be extremely painful, debilitating and probably lethal if applied to human flesh.

Also, my mistake in my first post - it's not designed to shoot down missiles. That's another type of laser they're developing.

The US military makes some cool stuff, though. They're experimenting with railguns that could eventually be deployed on their new Zumwalt-class destroyers.

And what happens if someone gets a mirror out?
Cowtipper
And what happens if someone gets a mirror out?

Then the AC-130 sees the target and just fires an artillery round at his/her face.
Aphotic Cosmos
Then the AC-130 sees the target and just fires an artillery round at his/her face.

Well, why not just do that in the first place?
Come on, nobody's going to use this weapon unless they need to pick someone out from a crowd or something.
The choice is 'laser that burns a bit' and '30mm cannon that blows **** up' is not fantastically difficult.

Latest

Trending

Trending