The Student Room Group

STEP I 2008 Question 1 Help

What does it mean to say that a number x is irrational?
Prove by contradiction statements A and B below, where p and q are real numbers.
A: If pq is irrational, then at least one of p and q is irrational.
B: If p + q is irrational, then at least one of p and q is irrational.
Disprove by means of a counterexample statement C below, where p and q are real numbers.
C: If p and q are irrational, then p + q is irrational.
If the numbers e,π,π2,e2,eπe, \pi, \pi ^2, e^2, e \pi are irrational, prove that at most one of the numbers π+e,[br]πe,π2e2,π2+e2\pi+e,[br]\pi - e, \pi^2 - e^2, \pi^2 + e^2 is rational.

I'm stuck as where to start with this question.
Reply 1
just start putting a bunch of rational and irrational numbers for p and q and see what results u get in compliance with the statements given....
Reply 2
Small123
What does it mean to say that a number x is irrational?

It cant be expressed as a fraction say m/n where m and n are integers..
Reply 3
rbnphlp
It cant be expressed as a fraction say m/n where m and n are integers..

I get that but I can't think of any contradictions.
Reply 4
I'll do the first one for you.

Suppose this result is false, so that we can find two rational numbers p and q such that pq is irrational. But by definition, we can write p = a/b, q = c/d for some integers a,b,c,d.
Then pq=acbdpq =\frac{ac}{bd}, and so pq is actually rational. Contradiction.
Reply 5
DFranklin
I'll do the first one for you.

Suppose this result is false, so that we can find two rational numbers p and q such that pq is irrational. But by definition, we can write p = a/b, q = c/d for some integers a,b,c,d.
Then pq=acbdpq =\frac{ac}{bd}, and so pq is actually rational. Contradiction.

Oohhhh, I get it! Thanks, I'll try the next one.
Suppose we can find two rational numbers p and q such that p+q is irrational. p=a/b, q=c/d where a,b,c,d are integers. Then p+q=ab+cd=ad+bcbdp+q=\dfrac{a}{b} + \dfrac{c}{d} = \dfrac{ad+bc}{bd} which is a contradiction. Is that right?
Reply 6
Yes.
Reply 7
Any tips for C? I've had a few ideas which didn't quite work out as planned.
Reply 8
Of Course! How did I not think o that :o:. Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
For C you can use pi and (1-pi). Both irrational but they sum to make one, which is rational.

The last part is a bit more complicated, but i'll try my best to explain:

The question wants you to prove that at most one is ratioanl...so at least 3 are irrational.

Firstly:

1) (π+e)+(πe) (\pi+e) + (\pi-e) = 2pi...from A, at least one of these numbers must be irrational.

2) (π2+e2)+(π2e2) (\pi^2+e^2) + (\pi^2-e^2) =2pi^2...from A, at least one of these numbers must be irrational

Now assume (π2e2) (\pi^2-e^2) is rational. From 2) above, this must mean that (π2+e2) (\pi^2+e^2) is irratioanal. Also, (π2e2) (\pi^2-e^2) = (π+e)(πe) (\pi+e) * (\pi-e) . This means that either both (π+e)(πe) (\pi+e) * (\pi-e) are rational, or they are both irrational, otherwise they could not form a ratioanl prodcut. From 1) they cannot both be rational as at least one must be irrational. Therefore they are both irratioanal.

Hence, if (π2e2) (\pi^2-e^2) is rational, there are at least 3 numbers which are irrational.

Assume then that (π2e2) (\pi^2-e^2) is irrational.

(π2+e2) (\pi^2+e^2) can be either irratioanal or rational. If it was irrational, then we'd have (π2e2) (\pi^2-e^2) assumed irrational, (π2+e2) (\pi^2+e^2) as irrational and at least one of (π+e)and(πe) (\pi+e) and (\pi-e) as irrational...so at least 3 numbers are irrational.

Keeping with our assumption that (π2e2) (\pi^2-e^2) is rational, we will now assume that (π2+e2) (\pi^2+e^2) is rational.

This must mean that (π2+e2)+2eπ (\pi^2+e^2) + 2e\pi and (π2+e2)2eπ (\pi^2+e^2) - 2e\pi are both irrational

(π2+e2)+2eπ (\pi^2+e^2) + 2e\pi = (π+e)2 (\pi+e)^2
(π2+e2)2eπ (\pi^2+e^2) - 2e\pi = (πe)2 (\pi-e)^2

In both of these, (π+e)+(πe) (\pi+e) + (\pi-e) must either be both rational or irrational. From A, they cannot both be rational, so they must both be irrational.

Hence at least 3 are irrational.

Therefore whatever combination of rational/irratioanl of (π2+e2)and(π2e2) (\pi^2+e^2) and (\pi^2-e^2) you have, there will always be at least 3 irrational number => at most one ratioanl number.

Hope that kind of makes sense :smile:

Latest