The Student Room Group
Question 8: Split the shape into two rectangles. Find the area of each individually. The rest should be fairly obvious to you.

Question 9: You are finding the difference between n squared and n. Try a few numbers in n^2 - n and hopefully you will see why it can never be prime.
For the first split the area up into two rectangles.

For the second answer, consider the factorisation of n2nn^2-n. Remembering that n3,n \geq 3, and that a prime number only has factors 1 and itself, why is this example not prime?
Reply 3
namedeprived
For the first split the area up into two rectangles.

For the second answer, consider the factorisation of n2nn^2-n. Remembering that n3,n \geq 3, and that a prime number only has factors 1 and itself, why is this example not prime?

so for the first one i would have to work out 2x+1 and x+1 so like this
(2x+1)(x+1) = 2x²+2x+2
x(x+5) - x²+5x :confused: :confused: :confused:

i dont get it
zahir27
so for the first one i would have to work out 2x+1 and x+1 so like this
(2x+1)(x+1) = 2x²+2x+2This part is right
x(x+5) - x²+5x :confused: :confused: :confused:

i dont get it

The first part is right. However look again at the area of the second rectangle. The length can't be x+5 as this would mean the two rectangles would overlap giving you too large a value.

The length of the second rectangle therefore has to be x+5-(x+1) = 4 so area of second rectangle = 4x.

Now add up the expressions for these two rectangles and make equal to the value 21. Then rearrange into the form given.

Latest