The Student Room Group

How to get a 9 in gcse maths

Hey so I’m in year 12 retaking gcse maths, originally I got a 5 with 42/80 in every paper so what should I do to get 70/80 I have 5 months and I’m so scared help!!
Reply 1
do many practice papers all the time, find the mark schemes and look at each step of their working, learn what each step does instead of memorising it - i had a really good maths teacher who would show us the proofs to all things we must learn which helped us to understand why we do it and in what circumstances it’s appropriate. it helps for the tricky problem solving questions where you’re not sure what you need to do immediately.
watch youtube people severely underestimate how good youtube is for understanding concepts and for walking through pastpapers
be smort
be forst
be god
Reply 3
Original post by Bess2007
Hey so I’m in year 12 retaking gcse maths, originally I got a 5 with 42/80 in every paper so what should I do to get 70/80 I have 5 months and I’m so scared help!!

Do every past paper existing on the internet and do all the topic papers on maths genie x
Hope this helps

I got 97% in gcse maths this year after getting less than half marks in my year 10 mocks and genuinely all I can say is just do as many past papers/ practise questions and you can possibly find, don't limit yourself to just your exam board as maths is maths, ask your teachers/ a friend if you don't feel that you fully understand a topic as with maths, you can't really get by on just being familiar with the content, you have to be fluent in it. Good luck!

hi! I got an 8 after failing my exams in y10 and this is what I would do if I could redo maths gcse.
Watch the 'gcse maths tutor' videos on YouTube, listen very carefully and do the practice questions he sets in the video, if you do edexcel, the questions he does are edexcel specific which is very good, after that I would do mathsgenie questions and mrbartonmaths legacy gcse maths 'takeaway' questions. You can also do PMT questions.
I would do every single past paper available, but maybe not from the older specification. I think that over 3 papers, that examine the same kind of thing, you should be getting 7/8/9s after you do them all.
If you do edexcel as your exam board, once you do all the new specification papers, I would do the edexcel international gcse maths past papers, they can be found on PMT and only have 2 papers instead of 3, but In my opinion, the international gcse papers are much harder than the traditional gcse papers.
I wouldn't do other exam boards papers, I know people say 'maths is maths' and that it doesn't matter but in my opinion, the way edexcel makes their paper is so specific and is more based on problem solving, while AQA has more straightforward exams (which is reflected in their high grade boundaries) and over time, I picked up on some very edexcel specific questions that they would ask ALL the time, and would pretty much get full marks on them.
ALSO, LOOK AT EXAMINERS REPORTS!! (and try to get your hands on last years paper and examiners report if you can, it might be a hassle though as schools will prob set them as mock papers) but at the end of each examiners report (for edexcel) they have a section with tips they have for students which are very helpful, also examiners reports tell you what the exam board has seen from students, and if students visibly struggled on a type of question, its very likely that they will set another one just like it the next year, to see if students have improved.
Good luck!!!
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jasonsworld
hi! I got an 8 after failing my exams in y10 and this is what I would do if I could redo maths gcse.
Watch the 'gcse maths tutor' videos on YouTube, listen very carefully and do the practice questions he sets in the video, if you do edexcel, the questions he does are edexcel specific which is very good, after that I would do mathsgenie questions and mrbartonmaths legacy gcse maths 'takeaway' questions. You can also do PMT questions.
I would do every single past paper available, but maybe not from the older specification. I think that over 3 papers, that examine the same kind of thing, you should be getting 7/8/9s after you do them all.
If you do edexcel as your exam board, once you do all the new specification papers, I would do the edexcel international gcse maths past papers, they can be found on PMT and only have 2 papers instead of 3, but In my opinion, the international gcse papers are much harder than the traditional gcse papers.
I wouldn't do other exam boards papers, I know people say 'maths is maths' and that it doesn't matter but in my opinion, the way edexcel makes their paper is so specific and is more based on problem solving, while AQA has more straightforward exams (which is reflected in their high grade boundaries) and over time, I picked up on some very edexcel specific questions that they would ask ALL the time, and would pretty much get full marks on them.
ALSO, LOOK AT EXAMINERS REPORTS!! (and try to get your hands on last years paper and examiners report if you can, it might be a hassle though as schools will prob set them as mock papers) but at the end of each examiners report (for edexcel) they have a section with tips they have for students which are very helpful, also examiners reports tell you what the exam board has seen from students, and if students visibly struggled on a type of question, its very likely that they will set another one just like it the next year, to see if students have improved.
Good luck!!!

Thank you so much this is so helpfull!!

Quick Reply

Latest