The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2280
I have to admit I was a bit shaken up after I found out the news. I started to feel light headed and had to step out of my room for a bit. As with any slight change in the league tables, my mother called me to check if I was okay :smile:.
Reply 2281
One thing that actually alters league tables dramatically (which most people don't realise at all) is that many of the big RG unis (Notts, Soton, Manc, Leeds) have massive nursing schools which really skew the league table data against them.
Oxford is now worthless and should be replaced.

In other news, nobody cares.
Original post by QuantumOverlord
I challenge you to make your own, using well defined and relevant criteria, i.e a quantitative study. If you can do this I applaud you, and I also expect you will get some suprises the reason for this is because different universities do better based on slightly different criteria, but if it was so simple t o weed out the criteria, then there would only be a need for one type of methology. NB: Oxbridge uniformally come out on top for all the league tables, so it is easy to justify these are the best two universities in the UK.

Disclaimer: I never claim League tables are perfect, in fact far from so. But they are better at gaining a rough idea of the quality of a university than going after a vauge ghost quantity like 'prestige'. Other valid methods include looking at individual criteria such as research quality.

It sounds as if you should look at this league table, the only one that is completely unbiased and that truly matters: http://duckdensity.org.uk/uni_index?...ty&reverse=yes
London Met should be congradulated for no longer being at the bottom of the table. The University of Bolton now takes the undesirable title of Britains lowest ranking uni.
Reply 2285
Original post by Architecture-er
But not the point of infallibility. Universities are only as good as the students who attend them, and so they're inherently flawed because they're primarily being ranked on arbitrary aspects (such as 'student satisfaction'). They're fine for a general overview, but when it comes down to deciding the order of the top 15, it's widely open to interpretation.

For example, my university (Bath) is ranked top in the country for Architecture, but it's primarily carried by employability after graduation, whilst Cambridge are 2nd but have higher average A-level graded students and better research scores

For architecture ranking, the AJ100 rules.
In the most recent CUG league table, Oxford was placed 3rd right below LSE.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?

This is the first time where oxford is out of the top 2 in the domestic league table. Could that mean the gap between oxbridge and other unis is starting to close?
Original post by sfs1012

This is the first time where oxford is out of the top 2 in the domestic league table. Could that mean the gap between oxbridge and other unis is starting to close?

Of course, it's important to note that the LSE has a very narrow range of courses compared with Oxford, which is basically brilliant at everything. The LSE has also been long-recognised as being brilliant at what it does.

Personally I think that overall league tables are meaningless. Comparing certain courses, sure, but which degree is better for you or for an employer depends on far more than just which university!
Im going to make an important point here before I do though ill give a disclaimer.

Disclaimer: I am in no way making any conclusions of universities based on this data, I have my own personal opinions which I will not disclose (they are irrelevant). The point I make is based purely on this league table, and does NOT reflect my opinions on the university.

If you look at the actual ppts of the rankings, you will see that the top 5 have all either risen, or stayed so high they have met a celing effect. For example Durham was 5th place in the 2012 tables, and 5th in the 2013 however it has risen from 890 to 912 ppts, a significant rise. The same is true of LSE and IC; Oxbridge doesnt have much hope of rising on this relative system due to the ceiling effect. My point is, there is evidence of an increase in quality (as measured by this league table) for all of the top 5 universities. This should be taken into account. Also when I say 'top 5' please See my disclaimer.

Durham has only risen from 890 to 912 because of an increase in entry standards, nothing else has improved. In fact, I'm guessing that's the only reason why Durham is 5th.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Durham has only risen from 890 to 912 because of an increase in entry standards, nothing else has improved. In fact, I'm guessing that's the only reason why Durham is 5th.

I don't understand why people constantly bash durham with little or no evidence (see bold). However I'll be willing to accept those claims, if you can back them up with evidence.

and FYI getting 912/1000 is not possible just with good entry requirements.
I don't understand why people constantly bash durham with little or no evidence (see bold). However I'll be willing to accept those claims, if you can back them up with evidence.

and FYI getting 912/1000 is not possible just with good entry requirements.

2013 Durham

Entry standards 2013 (501) 2012- 487
Student Satisfaction 2013 (4.1) 4.0
Research Assessment 2013( 2.72) 2.72
Graduate Prospects 2013- (78.5) 80.4

As you can see student satisfaction has gone up only marginally. RAE has stayed the same. Graduate prospects has gone down, so clearly its the entry standards which has pushed Durham up from 890 to 915 in the past year. Graduate prospects appears to be given a large weighting, as St Andrews beats out Durham on two counts (entry standards and student satisfaction and they're tied on research. Durham's research doesn't even hit the 2.8 mark, look at the gap between it and the top 4 (2.98, 2.98, 2.96.2.96 and then 2.72.. I'm not really meaning to bash Durham, but I just don't think that its any better than UCL, Warwick or St Andrews. In regards to the data, I think a top 4 would be more apt.
Original post by sfs1012

Cambridge has been outside the top two before so perhaps this "gap", if we accept one, started to close a while ago?

Anway, not necessarily. LSE isn't a multi-faculty university and, besides, though I don't pay much attention to either, subject league tables are probably more worthwhile as it's less a case of comparing "apples and organges". Regularly in course rankings you'll find Oxford or Cambridge aren't in the top two, and this has been the case for a number of years (probably since the early 1990s - the creation of the now standard newspaper league table).
2013 Durham

As you can see student satisfaction has gone up only marginally. RAE has stayed the same. Graduate prospects has gone down, so clearly its the entry standards which has pushed Durham up from 890 to 915 in the past year. Graduate prospects appears to be given a large weighting, as St Andrews beats out Durham on two counts (entry standards and student satisfaction and they're tied on research. Durham's research doesn't even hit the 2.8 mark, look at the gap between it and the top 4 (2.98, 2.98, 2.96.2.96 and then 2.72.. I'm not really meaning to bash Durham, but I just don't think that its any better than UCL, Warwick or St Andrews. In regards to the data, I think a top 4 would be more apt.

Well you could open the full table which contains more criteria than given, some of these have also gone up too. Graduate prospects have gone down, but only very slightly: 78% as opposed to 80% could easily be made up again next year. Durham has always done not that well in research compared to the others, partly because of its small size (though only partly) and the small size of durham will be taken into account in the table, so I admit its a fair point.

However nevertheless when all factors are considered Durham still comes out 5th on this table, the entry standards alone are not enough to achieve that. Measured by these variables and these statistical techniques durham does beat warwick and UCL, im not claiming that in general (and anyone who does without evidence would annoy me just as much), however sometimes I do feel that people always want to pick apart the table where durham does better than it 'should' when in reality all tables have their pros and flaws.
Original post by Junaid96
No, you're clearly the one who should be taking GCSE's if you can't distinguish the difference between what I said, and saying that LSE is a job factory.

From what I've heard from people who go there that is the opinion I've formed. Feel free to correct that opinion, but there's no need to be so patronisingly stupid about it.

I've done my GCSE's. I'm just taking a break now from revising A2 Maths.

How many accounts do you have? :tongue:

I am assuming you are Tsunami as well.
2013 Durham

You do realise there is more criteria.

It is actually: Entry, Satisfaction, Research, Prospects, Student-Staff Ratio, Academic Services Spend, Facilities Spend, Good Honours, Completion and Green.

So most of what you said has been redundant as you did not consider all the criteria.
Original post by Deep456

No, what makes you think that?
Original post by Deep456

It's not me..born in 96? come on! That's someone else. Names are accessible to all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by River85
Cambridge has been outside the top two before so perhaps this "gap", if we accept one, started to close a while ago?

Anway, not necessarily. LSE isn't a multi-faculty university and, besides, though I don't pay much attention to either, subject league tables are probably more worthwhile as it's less a case of comparing "apples and organges". Regularly in course rankings you'll find Oxford or Cambridge aren't in the top two, and this has been the case for a number of years (probably since the early 1990s - the creation of the now standard newspaper league table).

Cambridge out of the top 2 overall? Which year? The thing is oxford was ranked 1st or 2nd overall for the last 15 years. Subject table wise is less relevant since the university in general is no better than oxbridge.
Original post by sfs1012
Cambridge out of the top 2 overall? Which year? The thing is oxford was ranked 1st or 2nd overall for the last 15 years. Subject table wise is less relevant since the university in general is no better than oxbridge.

Sorry, it was actually Oxford in 2000, I think. It wasn't the Independent's Complete University Guide, though, which didn't exist then. It was either the Times or Sunday Times.

I don't see your point about subject tables being less relevant. Again, I don't know how you can easily compare, say, Oxford, Manchester, LSE, Sussex, Aberdeen, University of East London, Swansea, Goldsmiths and Bath.
WOW! Southampton maintained a good position for engineering. Quite surprised as this year intake was 3 times higher than previous years so spend per student in the area was a lot smaller and I thought that paid a huge part in league tables. I'm also surprised to see the student satisfaction as low as Imperial...

Latest

Trending

Trending