The Student Room Group

For anybody studying/has studied the MSc psychology conversion at Exeter

I've been offered a place on the psychology conversion course at Exeter to start in September 2021.

Just wanted to ask current students for their thoughts on the course, i.e. pros and cons.

Original post by jgrg12_
I've been offered a place on the psychology conversion course at Exeter to start in September 2021.

Just wanted to ask current students for their thoughts on the course, i.e. pros and cons.

Same here. Congrats to you too. And just like you I'm also looking for feedback from current students. Anyone out there?
Reply 2
Original post by psychstudent2021
Same here. Congrats to you too. And just like you I'm also looking for feedback from current students. Anyone out there?

Congrats! Do you have any idea what you want to do with the psych course?
I recently did a biomed degree and working as a school tutor at the moment. Looking to eventually become an educational psychologist.
Does Exeter's course have BPS accreditation now? I remember last year many were unsure of applying as they couldn't guarantee they would have this confirmed/in place by the start of the course in September.
Reply 4
Original post by eduorclinpsych
Does Exeter's course have BPS accreditation now? I remember last year many were unsure of applying as they couldn't guarantee they would have this confirmed/in place by the start of the course in September.

Yeah it is accredited, but you're right - I just looked it up and has only been accredited since the current academic year. Phew

https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become-psychologist/accredited-courses/course/2245
Original post by jgrg12_
Yeah it is accredited, but you're right - I just looked it up and has only been accredited since the current academic year. Phew

https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become-psychologist/accredited-courses/course/2245

Oh gosh sorry, I didn't mean to panic you! Just thought I'd mention just in case - it was all a little strange when I first looked into it. Exeter is a fab uni from hearing other people's UG experiences and if it's a new course then I feel that means they'll put a lot of innovative, current study methods and topics in place.

Congrats and best of luck!
Original post by jgrg12_

Great, even I have been offered. I am a bit confused about where to go as I got offers from Edinburgh and Exeter.
Reply 7
Original post by Artemis Star
Great, even I have been offered. I am a bit confused about where to go as I got offers from Edinburgh and Exeter.

Congrats! I was actually considering Edinburgh, but travel would be a bit too expensive for me (I live in Kent). I applied to Cardiff and Exeter, I only got a conditional offer from Cardiff (condition was to organise my own work placement). So I decided on Exeter in the end :smile:
Original post by jgrg12_
Congrats! I was actually considering Edinburgh, but travel would be a bit too expensive for me (I live in Kent). I applied to Cardiff and Exeter, I only got a conditional offer from Cardiff (condition was to organise my own work placement). So I decided on Exeter in the end :smile:

I am coming from India and so travel is already involved. I am not sure if the subject related ratings for the unis and other parameters still holds good for this Conversion program?
I have unconditional from both the uni's hearts calling is to go to Exeter and Brain says go to Edinburgh. Huuuuuhhh I need guidance to choose the one. :smile:
Reply 9
I am coming from India and so travel is already involved. I am not sure if the subject related ratings for the unis and other parameters still holds good for this Conversion program?
I have unconditional from both the uni's hearts calling is to go to Exeter and Brain says go to Edinburgh. Huuuuuhhh I need guidance to choose the one. :smile:

The website below has a ranking of unis for psychology, it also shows you the parameters which the rankings are based on. I think they are for the undergrad psychology programme, however I assume we would benefit from the same lecturers, resources, career help etc.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/psychology

I personally chose to apply to Exeter because it has an optional module for students interested in educational psychology, which fits well with my aspirations.

Best of luck whichever uni you decide on :smile:
Original post by jgrg12_
The website below has a ranking of unis for psychology, it also shows you the parameters which the rankings are based on. I think they are for the undergrad psychology programme, however I assume we would benefit from the same lecturers, resources, career help etc.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/psychology

I personally chose to apply to Exeter because it has an optional module for students interested in educational psychology, which fits well with my aspirations.

Thanks buddy for sharing the link. I did check it already and even I am planning to take the elective "Clinical Psychology."
I will post on this thread to let you know if I choose Exeter. :smile:
Good luck with our future studies 👍⭐
Original post by jgrg12_
Congrats! Do you have any idea what you want to do with the psych course?
I recently did a biomed degree and working as a school tutor at the moment. Looking to eventually become an educational psychologist.

Hi! Sorry for replying late. Yea so I am looking to also do a certificate in counseling alongside. My long term aim is to become a counseling psychologist.

Hey man congrats on getting into both Exeter and Edinburgh! Fellow Indian here. :smile: Ive applied to both Edinburgh and Exeter too. I have an offer from Exeter. Im still waiting to hear back from Edinburgh. Man, the decision between them is tough tho. Cuz I really like the faculty at Exeter and I like their research orientation and stuff but Edinburgh is just a bigger city you know? Like being an international student and relocating. I was thinking there are just more opportunities in Edinburgh than in a smaller city like Exeter. And of course Edinburgh has a solid program too, they are a lot more focused on mental health in psychology. Thats literally the name :smile: So yea even Im looking for a bit of guidance on the whole thing.
Original post by jgrg12_
Hiya,

Yes I have the invite, just joined :smile: thanks for the reminder!

Hiya,
Great, can you introduce yourself so we can chat over there instead :biggrin:
Hello! I was looking foo information about the MSc psychology conversion in Exeter and I bumped into this discussion. I'd be very grateful if you could give me your impression about the course, if in the end some of you had decided to choose this university. Since I'm still a bit unsure about my aims, I would like to know if this course provides a good insight into the different paths one can follow afterwards, and if you believe it's advisable to do it part-time (I would like to maintain some small jobs meanwhile).

Thank you so much!
Reply 15
Original post by jgrg12_

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/leaguetables/rankings/psychology

Hey I am also interested in applying to Exeter. I just wanted to see how your experience was. Would you recommend it? Do you think it's possible to go straight into a PhD after graduating from the conversion course? Thank you!
Reply 16
Hi, how was your experience at Exeter so far? I got an unconditional offer so if you can share your experience, that would be wonderful.
Thanks buddy for sharing the link. I did check it already and even I am planning to take the elective "Clinical Psychology."
I will post on this thread to let you know if I choose Exeter. :smile:
Good luck with our future studies 👍⭐
Reply 17
I think you should apply first since my offer took a while to come in. Congrats on your enthusiasm to start a psychology conversion course. I hope you achieve your dreams.

Did you find any helpful tips and info on psychology conversion programmes starting this year, full time or part time?
Original post by Kelly C
Hey I am also interested in applying to Exeter. I just wanted to see how your experience was. Would you recommend it? Do you think it's possible to go straight into a PhD after graduating from the conversion course? Thank you!
Reply 18
Hi! I'm looking to apply now for next year. Really struggling to write the personal statement though, do you have any tips on what you included in yours?
Original post by JagAsk
Hi, how was your experience at Exeter so far? I got an unconditional offer so if you can share your experience, that would be wonderful.

Quick Reply

Latest