The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Babygal
I really want to go into medicine, i've doing the right a level subjects, but my gcse grades were absolutely rubbish, i feel like i'm doin realy well in my work at school except in maths which i'll definitely get no higher than a c grade, everything else is promisin, chemisty, biology and psychology. Any advice

As long as your GCSes werent really off the wall like Cs (I know that that is the average grade, but for med competition you really need As and Bs) then you should be ok. The main thing is the predictions for A Level. If you were to eb predicted AAA/AAB for Chem, Bio, Psych then I would have thought that that would be fine. Some universities acknowledge the fact that people mature acadmiecally at different rates and at different times. If there were any extenuating circumstances surrounding why you didn tdo so well at GCSE - maybe you could get them pointed out in your reference. Also when choosing which unis to apply to, if you are predicted AAA/AAB make sure that you apply to somewhere with slightly lower grades as an average offer e.g. most of the London med schools are ABB - apart from Imperial! Another one which I think depends on how you did in your AS grade is Cardiff which gives offers of ABB(b) - so you may need a b in your AS maths, if not it could be AAB(c) as a friend of mine got. Basically, if medicine is what you want to do then you wont really mind that much on where you go as long as you can get onto the course...I know that from experience with Veterinary medicine.
Reply 2
Ive just found this website for all the grade requirements for universities offering a medical degree. http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/BecomingDoctorTable1 this may help you choose which ones to apply to and investigate further. Sorry for the typos above!

Latest