The Student Room Group

George Osborne's brother becomes a Muslim to marry his love

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Badrkahandaman
I know enough about it thanks. The other bloke was calling it intolerant for giving men more rights than women, and that was my response.

No as is in, you should learn the position of women before and after Islam and how many rights it afforded them, rights western women only began to enjoy in the 1960s, they had 1400 years ago.
Diaz89
No as is in, you should learn the position of women before and after Islam and how many rights it afforded them, rights western women only began to enjoy in the 1960s, they had 1400 years ago.

They were given greater rights in marriage, divorce and inheritance, as well as generally a greater legal status in Islamic times which would only be repeated in other cultures centuries later.

Professor William Montgomery Watt, a university professor of Islamic studies at the University of Edinburgh, called Muhammad (SAW) a figure "who testified on behalf of women’s rights".
Reply 42
Badrkahandaman
They were given greater rights in marriage, divorce and inheritance, as well as generally a greater legal status in Islamic times which would only be repeated in other cultures centuries later.

Professor William Montgomery Watt, a university professor of Islamic studies at the University of Edinburgh, called Muhammad (SAW) a figure "who testified on behalf of women’s rights".

Yes I understand this, but you do know why Muslim men get double the inheritance of women? because in your other post you seemed to have a problem with it :s-smilie: any way, here's an excellent post that explains everything for you.
Diaz89
Yes I understand this, but you do know why Muslim men get double the inheritance of women? because in your other post you seemed to have a problem with it :s-smilie: any way, here's an excellent post that explains everything for you.

Yeah I knew, but looking back I just don't think I expressed it as well as I should've - Im no scholar, I just know enough to get myself out of trouble. And thanks for the post btw.
Reply 44
Badrkahandaman
Yeah I knew, but looking back I just don't think I expressed it as well as I should've - Im no scholar, I just know enough to get myself out of trouble. And thanks for the post btw.

No problem dude, I'm not a scholar either but if you need any help regarding Islam/Quran you can come here on TSR and we'll help you out.

peace
Barden
if you go on to tell us you're a sikh then we arent gonna listen to anything you have to say about muslims

Um no, it's kinda well known how i'm an atheist :s-smilie:

Read this if you really want to know where i stand vis a vis religion:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=20683908&highlight=lefty+leo#post20683908
Reply 46
Lefty Leo
You're celebrating the fact that a 30 year old woman's parents hold such a chokehold on her life that they forced the man who loves her to convert to her religion because they're intolerant of his?

Sig Heil to bigotry, intolerance and Islam!

Not to mention the fact that the guy is in a relationship where his wife buts the beliefs of her dad over the beliefs of her husband...
Reply 47
It's nice that he got married to her. I don't really get the point of making him convert though - now he'll just tick Muslim on forms instead of Christian, its not like he'll do anything else differently :dontknow:
Lefty Leo
Um no, it's kinda well known how i'm an atheist :s-smilie:

Read this if you really want to know where i stand vis a vis religion:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=20683908&highlight=lefty+leo#post20683908
Comparing the marriage of a couple to a regime which murdered millions. Your an idiot.
Reply 49
Love is amazing...:yep:
Tefhel
It's nice that he got married to her. I don't really get the point of making him convert though - now he'll just tick Muslim on forms instead of Christian, its not like he'll do anything else differently :dontknow:
Exactly. Their a liberal educated couple. It's not exactly going to turn the blokes life around. Let them get on with it.

Some of the nasty comments on this thread are beyond me.
Cinematographic
Comparing the marriage of a couple to a regime which murdered millions. Your an idiot.

Err.

Perhaps you should learn how to spell before you try insulting people?

You'RE an idiot. You are. I don't possess an idiot. Unless you're offering yourself up for sale as a slave?
Lefty Leo
Err.

You'RE an idiot. You are. I don't posess an idiot. Unless you're offering yourself up for sale as a slave?
It wasn't an insult it was a fact you pretentious little git. See that was an insult.
Reply 53
Cinematographic
It wasn't an insult it was a fact you pretentious little git. See that was an insult.
This isn't even remotely news worthy.

I wouldn't worry about it. TSR is a pretty illiberal place. I'm sure people will settle down when they get older. One would hope.
Saff123
This isn't even remotely news worthy.

I wouldn't worry about it. TSR is a pretty illiberal place. I'm sure people will settle down when they get older. One would hope.
Fair points. Lets hope so.
Lefty Leo
Err.

You'RE an idiot. You are. I don't posess an idiot. Unless you're offering yourself up for sale as a slave?

*possess
CombineHarvester
*possess

Suck my pork sword :smile:
Lefty Leo
Suck my pork sword :smile:

You corrected it so you obviously do care. I just thought it was a bit ironic...
CombineHarvester
You corrected it so you obviously do care. I just thought it was a bit ironic...

Ofcourse, i'm a pedant :mmm:
Media student
It was his choice, Islam didnt force him did it!! He chose a muslim woman out of all the non-muslim women, I dont think a Hindu family would allow a white man to marry their daughter, even if he converts, actually no, cause you cant convert to Hindu, you have to be born 1)

Hinduism is a faith with about as many denominations as there are hairs on a monkey..of course you can convert to some of them, i know from first hand experience. In fact, I've never been made aware of any knowledge to the contrary.

where does your knowledge come from? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending