The Student Room Group

Personal Statement- Gap Year.

I am currently doing my Personal Statement and I am unsure about whether I should write about doing resits within this year out? If I should write about doing them, I don't want it to seem like I'm doing them because I didn't make the effort last year, it was due to me messing up 2 exams on a particular day in which I had to stay overnight at a teachers house, as I had too many exams, and I felt stressed and managed to mess them up.

Also should I write about what I plan to do within my year out? Such as work experience, jobs and trips abroad?

Please help.
Reply 1
trips abroad, you'll need evidence for the other two
Reply 2
I am doing work experience and do have a job. I also am planning to go to Australia next year.
Talk positively about your resits, avoid using negative phrases and try and make it sounds like it's the best thing to do. Avoid saying you messed up, just say you want to improve etc.

Post your PS in the PS helpers section and they can help you think of nice ways to dress up resits, they did with me :smile:.
Reply 4
The majoritiy of your personal statement should be showing a passion for the subject you want to study at university. It can't hurt to explain why you did badly and why you are resiting, but keep it brief. Something like: 'I am currently resitting exams in X module as my current grades do not reflect my academic ability due to exam timetabling issues and stress.'

Seeing as it is already December you should have done, or have concrete plans to do work experience or a trip abroad. Only write it if you really intend to do it. Again keep it short, unless it is directly relevant - i.e. if you're doing an English degree and getting a job with a publishing company etc.
Reply 5
thankyou, yeah I am currently doing work experience and have been since September which is to do with my degree I hope to take. I have my personal statement from last year, it is just putting in about my gap year that I needed the help with. Thankyou though.

Latest

Trending

Trending