The Student Room Group

Anyone taking a gap year before Lse/oxbridge application?

Is anyone else taking a gap year in order to make their personal statement more competitive for Russel Groups
Reply 1
I applied to competitive unis and I'm planning on deferring until 2025. I applied now because to me I'd rather just be competing with this year's cohort than with students they haven't seen yet. It's easy to defer once you've got a place
Reply 2
'Taking a year out' will not have any impact on your application.
Reply 3
Original post by kitty_e_06
I applied to competitive unis and I'm planning on deferring until 2025. I applied now because to me I'd rather just be competing with this year's cohort than with students they haven't seen yet. It's easy to defer once you've got a place

That’s so stupid lol
Reply 4
I applied now because to me I'd rather just be competing with this year's cohort than with students they haven't seen yet.

What?
Original post by dagi1234
Is anyone else taking a gap year in order to make their personal statement more competitive for Russel Groups

Even if you’re planning to take a gap year and reapply it’s sensible to apply anyway in yr13.
- your college will definitely have a reference on file for you that can be reused next year
- you can “practice” and be familiar with how UCAS applications and student finance etc works while you have support from your college
- you can have offers in place for next August with lower requirements just in case you don’t do as well as you hope in your exams , which means you have more options available to you in august instead of choosing between resitting and clearing.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger

That is not what I meant, I mean taking a gap year to do productive things like further internships, competitions and other extracurriculars to improve my PS to make it more competitive + better preparation for admission tests.
Reply 7
(Original post by McGinger)'Taking a year out' will not have any impact on your application.

←←←sorry I should've expanded further
Reply 8
That is not what I meant, I mean taking a gap year to do productive things like further internships, competitions and other extracurriculars to improve my PS to make it more competitive + better preparation for admission tests.

You dont need 'a year out' to do this extra stuff - and it isnt going to make that much difference to your application.
If it did, then those applying straight from school would never get an offer.

If you want to take a gap year, then take one.
But do not kid yourself that this is going to make any significant difference to your chances of an offer - from any University.
Reply 9
You dont need 'a year out' to do this extra stuff - and it isnt going to make that much difference to your application.
If it did, then those applying straight from school would never get an offer.

If you want to take a gap year, then take one.
But do not kid yourself that this is going to make any significant difference to your chances of an offer - from any University.

I see your point, however I have to disagree, taking a gap year would give extra time to prepare for admission tests that specific universities see as creating an application more competitive, and having more time to prepare and achieving a better score would definitely create my application to be more competitive, as well as developing my personal statement through completing further activities that I didn't have time for during my preparations for exams.

But if you can't see that, then you do you I guess.
I see your point, however I have to disagree, taking a gap year would give extra time to prepare for admission tests that specific universities see as creating an application more competitive, and having more time to prepare and achieving a better score would definitely create my application to be more competitive, as well as developing my personal statement through completing further activities that I didn't have time for during my preparations for exams.

But if you can't see that, then you do you I guess.

I love it when applicants talk down to people who actually work in university admissions...
Reply 11
Original post by ageshallnot
I love it when applicants talk down to people who actually work in university admissions...

How is it talking down to disagree with someone over the benefits of taking a gap year to better my position in ways in which I personally know I need to improve on? I'm the only one on the thread who's aware of the degree of competitiveness I have compared to other applicants, and what I need to improve on.

This isn't really the reason to take a gap year. For one Russell group means jack ****. For two, you should take a gap year if you want to spend a year doing X, Y or Z. Not because you think those things will make your PS better. Personal statements are being removed from future UCAS applications anyway.

Be aware that universities don't have to agree to your deferral.
How is it talking down to disagree with someone over the benefits of taking a gap year to better my position in ways in which I personally know I need to improve on? I'm the only one on the thread who's aware of the degree of competitiveness I have compared to other applicants, and what I need to improve on.

Please listen to the suggestion that you should be respectful to the very experienced people posting on this thread giving very good, accurate advice.
I will move your thread into the gap years forum, most people posting in the applications, clearing and ucas forum are looking for advice - which doesn't seem to be the purpose of your thread.
And just for a Bruce-y bonus, I'll edit your thread title to be a little bit clearer too. :biggrin:
Also please do join the gap years chat thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7384867

The condescending tone of your final sentence. "But if you can't see that [then you must be an idiot...]"

Btw you also need to consider the fact that unis often expect a higher standard on admissions tests from post A-level students because they are older, have more knowledge and experience, and more time to prepare.

Quick Reply

Latest