The Student Room Group

Applying to university during your gap year

Has anyone taken a gap year and applied to Oxbridge during their Gap year? Even better if you got in!

If this is the case what did you do in your gap year. Do you recommend this path?
Original post by saint-student
Has anyone taken a gap year and applied to Oxbridge during their Gap year? Even better if you got in!

If this is the case what did you do in your gap year. Do you recommend this path?

Hi! That's what I'm doing at the moment. I'm studying an extra A level, working part-time in a school and also doing music. I think in the summer I am going to go abroad to a language school. I really would recommend taking a gap year with Oxbridge applications because:
a) there is a lot less stress, you are outside of the intense application bubble at school where everyone feels like they are competing with each other
b) university interviews + school work is a lot
c) by the time it gets to interviews, you will have finished the whole syllabus, so you will have more knowledge/confidence
d) it also gives you time to choose the right degree & course, if you are feeling uncertain in y13 about what to apply for
Original post by booklover1313
Hi! That's what I'm doing at the moment. I'm studying an extra A level, working part-time in a school and also doing music. I think in the summer I am going to go abroad to a language school. I really would recommend taking a gap year with Oxbridge applications because:
a) there is a lot less stress, you are outside of the intense application bubble at school where everyone feels like they are competing with each other
c) by the time it gets to interviews, you will have finished the whole syllabus, so you will have more knowledge/confidence
d) it also gives you time to choose the right degree & course, if you are feeling uncertain in y13 about what to apply for

Thank you very much! I was wondering if you attend public or private school and if you know if universities look down on private school pupils who take a gap year. You mentioned a language school - I am assuming this is because you are planning to gain fluency in another language,I would love to know how you rate your experience once you go. Also are you taking an extra A level because you took 3 A levels or you took 4 and you are just a keen learner. Thank you again!
Original post by saint-student
Thank you very much! I was wondering if you attend public or private school and if you know if universities look down on private school pupils who take a gap year. You mentioned a language school - I am assuming this is because you are planning to gain fluency in another language,I would love to know how you rate your experience once you go. Also are you taking an extra A level because you took 3 A levels or you took 4 and you are just a keen learner. Thank you again!

Hi! I will private message you :smile:
Reply 4
Hi! Did u take an extra A-level or AS because i’m thinking of doing the same thing in my gap year
Original post by Kaseyyy
Hi! Did u take an extra A-level or AS because i’m thinking of doing the same thing in my gap year

Feel free to pm me! I’m doing an extra A level in my gap year :smile:
Might as well apply in Y13 anyway, at least if you change your mind further down the line you can decline your place. You don't have to make your mind up until results day so you could plan for a gap year anyway but still have the oxbridge offer incase you change your mind

Hi, I have just finished my A levels and I was also thinking of doing an extra a level during my year out so that I can apply for mathematical courses. I was wondering how this will affect me re applying and whether certain universities such as UCL, Warwick or oxbridge look at candidates taking an extra a level on their year out
Original post by User08928719
Hi, I have just finished my A levels and I was also thinking of doing an extra a level during my year out so that I can apply for mathematical courses. I was wondering how this will affect me re applying and whether certain universities such as UCL, Warwick or oxbridge look at candidates taking an extra a level on their year out

I think you should go for it! I can't say for certain how UCL or Warwick will view it, but I know that Oxford were absolutely fine with it (I'm starting there in October). Imperial also gave me an offer, so I would assume that other Russel Group universities would also be happy. I just explained for a few lines in my personal statement why and what I was doing in my gap year, and then was also able to explain a bit more during the interviews. I think they view it as a good indication that you can study independently, and also of your commitment to studying the course (taking an extra A level on your own). Of course, you can always email the admissions department just to check that they would be happy with it.
In terms of how it works, you would need to get a predicted grade (I got mine because I did it through the National Extension College). Then you end up with an offer that is only conditional on the extra A level. I also applied to some universities that didn't need the extra Maths A level, so I was able to have an unconditional offer as my insurance. It does depend on what courses you are interested in, and it may be that all of them require the extra A level.
Thank you for replying that was really helpful. I’m not sure what you decided to take your extra a level in but I’m considering further maths. How did you find doing two years of content in one year on top of independently learning?
Also I’m not too sure if you know too much about this but do you know if it’s possible to apply for two different courses and create 2 different personal statements?
Thank you for replying that was really helpful. I’m not sure what you decided to take your extra a level in but I’m considering further maths. How did you find doing two years of content in one year on top of independently learning?
Also I’m not too sure if you know too much about this but do you know if it’s possible to apply for two different courses and create 2 different personal statements?

I did A level Maths in my gap year. It does take time, and you do need to plan and schedule. I finished the syllabus by April, so I had April and May free for revision. I was able to do other things during my gap year, but if you plan something, make sure it doesn't take up too much of your time. I worked full-time on the maths from the middle of February onwards. If you do it with a distance learning provider, then you have access to a tutor who can help when you get stuck, which is really useful! It's really important that you can get a predicted grade before you apply, so you might have to work that out with a teacher/tutor.
If you are applying with UCAS it's not possible to do 2 different personal statements. If courses are similar, you can write one personal statement that fits both of them, but ideally you should be applying to the same courses at each university.
I see that makes sense. Did you do your extra A level at the same school/college you attended to during your school years or did you apply to another sixth form and do the exam there?

I did A level Maths in my gap year. It does take time, and you do need to plan and schedule. I finished the syllabus by April, so I had April and May free for revision. I was able to do other things during my gap year, but if you plan something, make sure it doesn't take up too much of your time. I worked full-time on the maths from the middle of February onwards. If you do it with a distance learning provider, then you have access to a tutor who can help when you get stuck, which is really useful! It's really important that you can get a predicted grade before you apply, so you might have to work that out with a teacher/tutor.
If you are applying with UCAS it's not possible to do 2 different personal statements. If courses are similar, you can write one personal statement that fits both of them, but ideally you should be applying to the same courses at each university.
I see that makes sense. Did you do your extra A level at the same school/college you attended to during your school years or did you apply to another sixth form and do the exam there?

I entered as a private candidate at a private exam centre (called Tutors and Exams), but maybe your school will let you do it with them? You would have to talk to the maths department, I'm not sure, sorry.

Hi! Would I be able to ask what language school you went to? That sounds like quite an exciting and productive thing to do with the extra time.

Quick Reply

Latest