The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
'For a model to PERFECTLY AND ACCURATELY reflect the world it would have to CONTAIN THE WORLD.' just does not make sense in my mind at all.
The part in the end about God neither.
Reply 21
And let me just thank everyone who has replied about the subject at hand. Useful information :smile:
DerBoy
just does not make sense in my mind at all.

Profound statements are not instant microwave meals. You need to give them time to roast in that little oven in your head.
DerBoy
Sorry if I offended you; but I think it's true.
For example P.E. Studies: the 3 stages of learning are cognitive, associate and autonomous.
In Art you describe the tone and colours used etc to show how the message is coming across (don't quote me on this; I didn't take it).
In History you must discuss how useful a source is in depicting an event/time.
In English you must show how techniques used in a prose/poem/drama help relate to the theme or deepen your understanding of some aspect.
All this is theory work; it's all so debatable. While in sciences it has all been proven before, and it's make sense because it is logical. That is why I have apeace of mind following it; and can grasp that. Whereas with other subjects, all you need to do for exams is simply remember all the key points.
Of course the exception is French, which is not too unbearable.

:mad:

I don't think any of it is much more trivial? I must say, if you didn't take art i don't really think you have the right to talk. I mean come on, if you can't paint for squat (which i'm inferring you cant, since you seem very scientific) then by god will Art be nigh on impossible? Design units in art are probably the most stressful taxing things ever invented by the SQA.

English wise, is probably one of the most unpredictable subjects! Learning english helps in all aspects of life to come, and trust me it's not just using a basic formula to "analyze" some kind of text.

Honestly, yes it's debatable. But that's what makes it hard and so interesting at the same time. Surely physics/biology/maths is more remembering points and formula in the exam than actually anything else?

Em yeah, rant over. And you may think i'm biased, but no. I'm a sciency person, who took all 3 sciences. About your original point, physics is fine....
Reply 24
spacepirate-James

Surely physics/biology/maths is more remembering points and formula in the exam than actually anything else?

Not in my opinion- if you have a full understanding of something then you you are much less likely to forget it. I understand 10+17=27 and I will never forget it.
If something is logical, it is universally understood. Something like P.E. Studies requires you to think the way the creator(s) of the subject thought.
Reply 25
Sorry quote came out incorrectly.
Reply 26
Pedrobear
Profound statements are not instant microwave meals. You need to give them time to roast in that little oven in your head.

Let's not get personal:eek:
Why must a model be as you so described? It's a statement, albeit not a very profound one. It seems to have come out of nowhere. What implies models must contain the world? I'm not quite understanding this.
You were the one talking about the fantasies of a scientist.

Then you say that only a creature such as god could create perfect theory.
I just don't want to reply to this.
DerBoy

Not in my opinion- if you have a full understanding of something then you you are much less likely to forget it. I understand 10+17=27 and I will never forget it.
If something is logical, it is universally understood. Something like P.E. Studies requires you to think the way the creator(s) of the subject thought.

Not really? Of course, your examples are obvious such as 10 + 17 = 27, if you use some harder maths topics, it doesn't necessarily hold true.

And lets be honest, biology is just remembering words. Basically and then facts, so you can spew it out in the actual exam? Whereas arty subjects requires more dedicated thought.

The thing with the PE studies requiring you to think the way the creator thought. This doesn't hold true to english and indeed art? Yet it's also shown in maths, in higher maths to gain a certain set of marks you NEED TO include some certain phrases that the examiner wants you to write down.
Reply 28
spacepirate-James

The thing with the PE studies requiring you to think the way the creator thought. This doesn't hold true to english and indeed art? Yet it's also shown in maths, in higher maths to gain a certain set of marks you NEED TO include some certain phrases that the examiner wants you to write down.

I'm afraid in my opinion- obviously not to yours, and you will disagree with my point, that is expected- you are not looking at the whole picture.
DerBoy
I'm afraid in my opinion- obviously not to yours, and you will disagree with my point, that is expected- you are not looking at the whole picture.

Whats the whole picture? That physics is better than english? :confused:
Reply 30
spacepirate-James
Not really? Of course, your examples are obvious such as 10 + 17 = 27, if you use some harder maths topics, it doesn't necessarily hold true.

When I say 'universally' I don't mean everyone. I'm not even referring to a number of people.
Reply 31
spacepirate-James
Whats the whole picture? That physics is better than english? :confused:

Not at all- that is down to opinion.
I would explain but honestly too many thoughts are going round my head just now and I know what it is but I cannot express that in words per se.
So many conflicting points, arguments, logical glitches etc that I am actually in a really confused state.
Heather with the Weather
I'm doing Higher Physics in S5 right now though it's not a crash higher. There is about five people in my class crashing it (one S5 and four S6s) and they seem to be coping just fine; some even doing better in the NAB than me :mad:. If you like Maths, then I'm sure you'll like Higher Physics - that's what most of it is and it's quite straight forward stuff anyway. It's not particular difficult course, just lots of formulae to remember.

Keep the Intermediate 2 book as it will probably come in useful. There's also a few in my year doing three sciences at higher, don't know how they convinced the school. If you want to take Higher Physics in S5, tell your school you're applying for Maths but if the school doesn't let you then get the parents involved - that's what everyone does. :cool:

Data Book?

Though i guess you have to remember what the letters/symbols stand for.

Our school discourages you from doing 3 sciences but I said i wanted to do a science coure or Medicine at uni and they were fine with it.
Reply 33
to be honest if your unsure about what subjects you want to do at university in S2, then the school discouraging taking three science subjects at SG is probably wise.

Crashing a higher at my school is generally seen as ok as long as you have credit standard grades in similar subjects. There isn't alot of knowledge assumed from sg physics in higher physics so you should be fine as long as you are hardworking and have reasonable problem solving skills.
TheRabbit
Data Book?

Though i guess you have to remember what the letters/symbols stand for.

Our school discourages you from doing 3 sciences but I said i wanted to do a science coure or Medicine at uni and they were fine with it.

Yeah, I forgot to point that out. But to be fair, there are some formulae that aren't in the data book, but most are. And like you said, you have know what each letter/symbol stands for, what the units are and how to apply it; it's still not that difficult though.

Same, the people doing three sciences are applying for really competitive courses like Medicine and Dentistry (and are pretty smart).
DerBoy
You are (metaphorically) getting the wrong end of the stick. I love literature. Shakespearean dramas are fantastic. Philosophy, also, I love. I want to take that as a subject if I can. Descartes was also a mathematician (ever heard of Cartesian coordinates?); and I have no feud with philosophers.

What I mean is the theory work that has progressed from this and impenitently poisoned school classrooms is something I do not like.

I know :p: was only messing around.

By all means, crash Physics. It's a really interesting subject, I loved it.
Reply 36
If you can get your head round the equations, it's actually a fairly straightforward course. I'm taking it at the moment and we're over halfway through(I think) and while I'm not crashing it, I can't imagine I'd find it to be a lot harder if I was. Most of the equations you use will be brand new and the ones that aren't are pretty undemanding. The main issue with the subject is the huge volume of work that needs to be learnt and to be honest, I'm struggling to cope with it a little at the moment. The actual difficulty is fairly low however, so if you think you'd enjoy the subject then by all means, crash it!
Reply 37
Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 38
To emphasise (my opinion):
Say we have a character named Joe. Joe has a hat on him, which completely obscures his hair colour. Say you wanted to know what colour of hair he has:

Applying maths, you would logically be able to deduce his hair colour from other bits of information.

Applying (other) science, you would note the colour of Joe's eyebrows, then take off his hat to figure out his hair colour.

Applying whatever else, you could do many things:

Give him a hair colour of your own choice.

Decide the colour of his hair is the same colour of his hat.

Decide most people named 'Joe' have brown hair.

Decide most people named 'Joe' have pink hair.

Turn away from Joe, look at someone else; ask their name, have a chat, maybe sit down for a coffee then decide Joe is bald

before actually looking at Joe.

Decide Joe is a dentist.

:lolwut:

Latest

Trending

Trending