The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It depends really on your exam board. If its AQA b don't bother, its a lot of hassle. There style of questioning is awful!
Reply 2
i think its aqa. im really not sure what to do as all my m8s that have took biology have found it quite difficult and those who have took chemistry as well found that easier. :frown:
Reply 3
Yep, aqa is HELL. Seriously they ask the same style of question about the same subject but change the answers so its never straight forward. You never know what the examiner WANTS!
My friends who do chemistry say its way harder too. It all depends. What i've learnt is that you can learn all the material in the world but its just you've got to be lucky with how you answer it so i just write EVERYTHING.
It sounds like AS biology would be a useful subject to have for your degree, but only you can say whether you'd be able to handle the work or not because only you know what you're capable of and how hard you work. If you think you'll be able to cope with it, take it, but don't if you think it will interfere with your other subjects.
it really depends on how you can cope and how could you are at time keeping. its possible but biology does require a lot of effort.
Reply 6
Lots of learning! I want to do A2 nxt year, how the hell will i survive?
Reply 7
I've just done AQA A Biology AS. I'd say it depends on how organised your Biology teachers will be? Because my teachers were very, and I found it an absolute breeze. I barely had any homework over the entire year and didn't revise for mocks yet got 80%+. Having said that, I've also noticed some people are more suited to biology than others. Like in our final mock, results in my class were: A,A,A,C,D,E,E,U And the person with the U knew a large proportion of the syllabus. :frown:
Biology really is *so* easy that they have to complicate the questions, they're all set in context. Whereas Chemistry asks you to name something, Biology gives you an article and asks why an experimenter did something. If you have common sense, and as you do English, you should be fine.
I think you should take it, nursing academic requirements aren't really high either so if you can't get an A it's not the end of the world either.
Reply 8
I think having the Biology would be a good idea, so maybe you should start it and make sure that you REALLY stay on top of the work and your time management. Over summer it's probably a good idea to review some of your GCSE stuff or it'll all have left your head. But don't let the AS lower your A2 results, if it gets too much don't be affraid to drop it!
Reply 9
thanks to all who replied. i think ill give it a go and if the work is to much or affecting my other subjects ill drop it. :smile:
Reply 10
Do AQA A, if you have a good memory capacity you can do it easily. If you don't prefer the style of learning where you have to know everything in the given textbook, it would be best to do biology on another exam board.
Everyone's saying AQA is crap, but OCR is too! Honestly, it is dire.

Sarah, if I were you I'd give it a go. If you can't handle it you could always drop it, but it's better to have a go and then drop it than not have a go and regret it. :smile:
I found AQA B AS quite interesting. This is the syllabus for it

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5416-6416-W-SP-06.pdf
Reply 13
cheers i will have a look. i think its aqa b that are college does. but like ppl said its better 2 have a go :smile:
Reply 14
if you are a late decider and want to badly do medicine...otherwise, no - not worth the hasstle
Reply 15
totally agree with phil23
Reply 16
no i dont want to do medicine but ive been told by a careers advisor it well be totally relevant for nursing. and that having it even at AS will look good on my ucas form! :wink:
Reply 17
My new hero of the moment is: Amlea

It depends really on your exam board. If its AQA b don't bother, its a lot of hassle. There style of questioning is awful!

Yep, aqa is HELL. Seriously they ask the same style of question about the same subject but change the answers so its never straight forward. You never know what the examiner WANTS!
My friends who do chemistry say its way harder too. It all depends. What i've learnt is that you can learn all the material in the world but its just you've got to be lucky with how you answer it so i just write EVERYTHING.

I did AQA (B) Biology AS this year, and will do A2 next. Everything you say is SO TRUE. I have often wanted to say it exactly like that, but have never quite been able to.

Thanks a load.

Latest