The Student Room Group

Please help - what are my options?

Hi, I would really appreciate some advice

I am a Yr13 student and would like to study dentistry at uni. Unfortunately, I came to this conclusion quite late on and have picked the wrong A-Levels. I'm currently studying Chemistry, Physics, and Maths, and am predicted for AAA.

Because I don't have biology A-level, my university choices are very limited. There's only a handful of unis that don't list Biology A-level as an entry requirement, and I don't think my UCAT (2500) or grades are competitive enough to get into those unis. It's looking likely that I might need to take a gap year.

My question is - if I use my gap year to study A-level biology (in a single year), could I apply next year to study dentistry at unis that require Biology a-level? Is this a realistic option? Would they even consider me? Would I be considered as a resit applicant (even though I'm not resitting anything, just doing an extra a-level one year after completing 3 full a-lvels in two years)?

Is it possible for me to apply for 2024 deferred entry, and explain to the unis that I intend to take A-level biology in my gap year? Would it then be possible for them to give me an offer of, example, AAA including Chem and Biology, but with the understanding that I am doing Chem/Physics/Maths this year and just Biology next year? Is that a thing??

I'm really confused and angry at myself for my A-level choices :frown:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BrushYourTeeth

I am a Yr13 student and would like to study dentistry at uni. Unfortunately, I came to this conclusion quite late on and have picked the wrong A-Levels. I'm currently studying Chemistry, Physics, and Maths, and am predicted for AAA.

Because I don't have biology A-level, my university choices are very limited. There's only a handful of unis that don't list Biology A-level as an entry requirement, and I don't think my UCAT (2500) or grades are competitive enough to get into those unis. It's looking likely that I might need to take a gap year.

My question is - if I use my gap year to study A-level biology (in a single year), could I apply next year to study dentistry at unis that require Biology a-level? Is this a realistic option? Would they even consider me? Would I be considered as a resit applicant (even though I'm not resitting anything, just doing an extra a-level one year after completing 3 full a-lvels in two years)?

Is it possible for me to apply for 2024 deferred entry, and explain to the unis that I intend to take A-level biology in my gap year? Would it then be possible for them to give me an offer of, example, AAA including Chem and Biology, but with the understanding that I am doing Chem/Physics/Maths this year and just Biology next year? Is that a thing??

Apply for the foundation year entry route
Original post by tecna
Apply for the foundation year entry route

Unfortunately the only foundation entry course that I can apply for is at Manchester, who are very likely to reject me given my UCAT score.

I have looked at every dental school in the UK. Very few of them even offer a foundation year, and of those that do only Manchester would consider my application
Liverpool - only for mature students, school leavers not considered
Plymouth, Leeds, Bristol - only for WP / disadvantaged students, I don't qualify as per their non-academic criteria

I don't really have a lot of options :frown: Do you think taking A-level biology in my gap year is a realistic way of getting into dentistry next year?

Thanks for that, I have already taken a look here. I think this list is outdated because Leeds no longer offer a foundation course (or if they do I cannot find it on their website or on UCAS).
Only Manchester seem to offer a foundation year for students in my position.

What is your opinion on my plan to take A-level biology in my gap year, while applying to dental schools? Is it realistic?
Unfortunately the only foundation entry course that I can apply for is at Manchester, who are very likely to reject me given my UCAT score.

I have looked at every dental school in the UK. Very few of them even offer a foundation year, and of those that do only Manchester would consider my application
Liverpool - only for mature students, school leavers not considered
Plymouth, Leeds, Bristol - only for WP / disadvantaged students, I don't qualify as per their non-academic criteria

I don't really have a lot of options :frown: Do you think taking A-level biology in my gap year is a realistic way of getting into dentistry next year?

Get in touch with manchetser
They even assess applications holistically so u never know
If ur gcses r decent then u may acc have a chance
Even if u want to take a gap year n do a level bio theres still no harm in applying this year

Also if dentistry is what u want 2 to do then i guess do go for the gap year n sit biology do it with ur current skwl or college it will make things easier in terms of sending off references and make sure u plan out ur gap year
Good luck
Reply 6

hey! if ur still available could you let me know what you ended up doing?? i’m in a similar position and some insight would be really handy bc i’m also considering doing this
Reply 7
I am in the exact same position and am very stressed. Could you please tell me what you ended up doing as I cannot find information anywhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest