The Student Room Group

The TSR Musicians' Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
There's a question I wanted to ask on here, since me and my friend were talking about it.

She said that she thinks most people start playing instruments because they want to perform live/be in a band/orchestra etc but I wasn't so sure I thought there are plenty of people who do it just for fun.

So which of you guys started playing to be in a band? or an orchestra or with a dream of playing professionally one day? Or how many of you (like me) just prefer playing as a hobby?
Reply 581
I started playing when I was 8 so I didn't really know then what I wanted to do! I just enjoyed it. When I first started AS Music, that is when I realised I wanted to do it for a living, but I want to teach. Being in bands and orchestras is just a bonus. :smile:
Reply 582
I started playing clarinet just to learn an instrument really! That was when i was around 10. I started to learn bass becuase i couldnt cope with chords like on guitars lol! and becuase i wanted to play songs that i actually know and to be in a band but havent really got anywhere with that.
Reply 583
Hey you guys, can I join?
I play piano and flute, and can sing a bit(generally sound like a strangled cat tho!).
I'm completely envious of everyone who can play either sax or clarinet- I tried to learn but I was missing my two front teeth at the time so couldn't use the mouthpiece properly!! (Awww, sob!)
That's why I picked the flute in the end- can anyone beat that for a weirder/more pathetic reason as to why they picked their instrument?
Reply 584
That's why I picked the flute in the end- can anyone beat that for a weirder/more pathetic reason as to why they picked their instrument?

The first time I picked flute was because I wanted to play guitar but it was so popular there were no guitars left and the teacher said 'You played recorder in first school right? Try the flute' so there it is.
Reply 585
centime
Hey you guys, can I join?

Yes :biggrin: It was flute or clarinet, and as a 10 year old, the general consensus was that clarinets were for boys :rolleyes: . So flute it was! :biggrin:
Reply 586
Clarinets aren't just for boys! I play clarinet..well try to!
I play clarinet as well, and for some reason most of the clarinettests in my school are girls anyway. :wink:

I picked piano because... when we moved house we bought a really cheap one off the previous owner and thought it might be a good opportunity. After that we bought a better one now.
Has anyone been to the sage?
Reply 589
No, have you?
Reply 590
*shakes thread* Does anyone know if they're getting anything instrument-y for Christmas?

I know my parents are getting me a guitar case (seriously black guitar seems to get dusty after like...an hour) and a harmonica stand so yay.
Ooo add me please! Piano, Violin, Voice & Guitar
Reply 592
Not sure if I am getting anything instrument-y! I've had loads of stuff like stands, cases and instruments recently so I don't think there is much else to give me lol!
Reply 593
Ooooh lucky you, I could probably only get so much accessory-wise. My room is so packed out with junk there's barely any room for anything as it is. And I just looked at your name in the first post of this thread sexysax, how'd you keep yourself focused on 4 instruments?
Reply 594
I just love music more than I can describe. I used to do other instruments as well. Now, I am just mainly focusing on saxophone and piano, but am still keeping clarinet and flute going. People think that if you do too much then your main instrument suffers. I agree with that to some extent, but I think if you are dedicated and manage your time well, then anything is possible.

I am one of those people! :smile:
how do i join? i play piano, drums and guitar :smile:
Reply 596
You just ask to join! :biggrin:
hey guys!! Merry Xmas to all. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease let me join!!! Play flute, tenor sax. and piano

------just had grade 8 flute result too and HAD to tell someone!!! - i got a distinction!! MADE my christmas!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 598
That is BRILLIANT!! Well done!!!

Happy Xmas to you! Go and celebrate! :biggrin:
Can I join? I play the piano and flute, and I might want to play the saxophone. Hey can anyone who plays the sax tell me if it's anything similar to the flute? If it's similar, I might want to play it *-) Hmmm........

Well, great society you have here :biggrin:!

Quick Reply

Latest