The Student Room Group

Just how relevant does an EPQ need to be to reduce a Uni offer?

I’m wanting to study History and music at Sheffield but I’m not sure what to do my EPQ on yet. Would I have to link those two subjects together? Or could I just do it based on one? I’ve looked at doing something about a classical composer or music in the early stages of society but I’m also interested in the psychology of music however clearly that doesn’t link to history.

Anyone got any other suggestions on what I could do?? Or just general advice on how relevant it needs to be
Original post by Amonraley
I’m wanting to study History and music at Sheffield but I’m not sure what to do my EPQ on yet. Would I have to link those two subjects together? Or could I just do it based on one? I’ve looked at doing something about a classical composer or music in the early stages of society but I’m also interested in the psychology of music however clearly that doesn’t link to history.

Anyone got any other suggestions on what I could do?? Or just general advice on how relevant it needs to be
It would be good to do it on a subject you are further pursuing. And no, you don't necessarily have to link it to your subjects. Music psych is quite a popular topic people explore in the EPQ (a lot of A* projects I've seen). Do it on a topic you are passionate abt (people quickly lose motivation if they do it on a topic they don't particularly find interesting). Only plus to doing it on a topic linked to your subject = you can mention the EPQ in your personal statement.
Original post by Amonraley

Hiya,

I believe you can focus on your EPQ that is of somewhat relevance to what you are looking at the study at university. For example, when I applied to Sheffield for Computer Science, I focused my EPQ on artificial intelligence. So if there is a specific niche in History or music that you are interested in I would say focus on that. An EPQ allows you to show your passion for a subject so it is important to make sure that whatever topic you pick it is something you are actually interested in!

Hope this helps,
Jivanthika
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hiya,
I believe you can focus on your EPQ that is of somewhat relevance to what you are looking at the study at university. For example, when I applied to Sheffield for Computer Science, I focused my EPQ on artificial intelligence. So if there is a specific niche in History or music that you are interested in I would say focus on that. An EPQ allows you to show your passion for a subject so it is important to make sure that whatever topic you pick it is something you are actually interested in!
Hope this helps,
Jivanthika

Do you think this would be a good one?

How did musicians resist Nazi censorship and oppression?

I just don’t know if it’s enough of the music part (music is what I definitely want to study I’ve just been considering a joint honours with history)

Thanks for the advice!
Original post by Amonraley2
Do you think this would be a good one?
How did musicians resist Nazi censorship and oppression?
I just don’t know if it’s enough of the music part (music is what I definitely want to study I’ve just been considering a joint honours with history)
Thanks for the advice!
I think that would be a great topic choice as you have linked your two options together. It would allow you to show your passion from music in a more in-depth university level way which would set you up for some skills that can translate into University.

It would be good to discuss the topic further with your supervisor so that your question can be more focused, but good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions about Sheffield!

Jivanthika
My EPQ didn't have anything to do with the degree I applied for. It was a project I wanted to do anyway so I thought I might as well get a qualification for it. I loved doing it, achieved an A* and got my uni offers lowered as a result. I think if you are really passionate about it that matters more than the subject itself.
I applied for medicine, but I did my EPQ as a painting rather than an essay. I agree with the post above, I think it is more about the grade and the skills you develop while completing the EPQ than the subject. You can always relate your EPQ to your subject somehow, or at least demonstrate that the skills you developed can be helpful in whatever degree you choose. Id recommend that you do something that you are passionate about, because you will enjoy it so much more and probably do much better in it because of that.

Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending