The Student Room Group

Imperial Biochem VS Leeds Natsci

Hi everyone,

I've recently accepted my offer from Imperial College London to study Biochemistry. This is something I never thought I'd do and I'm worried this is not the right decision for me.

I've always loved sciences, particularly life sciences, and when It came to choosing courses, the first time round I only applied for Natural Sciences because I really wanted to further my study of both biology and chemistry. I accepted my offer from Leeds after being rejected from the University of Cambridge, because the course offered the modules which looked relevant to the Masters and PhD programmes I have my heart set on.

I then took a gap year and reapplied to study a wider variety of courses as I was accepted into the YINI scheme to work as a software engineer at a really cool biotech company. During this time, I received offers again for Leeds NatSci and Imperial Biochemistry.

I found making the decision between the two once again incredibly difficult. Although I love life sciences, I really don't want to miss out on the study of broader chemistry, specifically materials and organic/inorganic modules available at leeds, as I really want to go into sustainable plastic design.

I chose imperial eventually from family advice, the broader range of academic societies (which don't really exist at Leeds), the interdisciplinary engineering project which I really want to get involved with, it's standard of teaching and also the London music scene (I am a semi professional musician). I have found a nano materials masters course which accepts biochemistry students, which should allow me to progress on to a physical sciences masters (I am looking at chemical engineering based bioplastic programmes at the moment).

But I have lived in London since I was 11, and have had to sacrifice the opportunity to move away and experience a new place, although I will be moving to student accommodation.

For me, posgradaute prospects in terms of masters and PhD programmes are the most important things about my degree. Have I made the wrong decision? I think I may be able to contact Leeds and ask for a space through clearing, but am not sure...
Original post by EloiseIPearce
Hi everyone,

I've recently accepted my offer from Imperial College London to study Biochemistry. This is something I never thought I'd do and I'm worried this is not the right decision for me.

I've always loved sciences, particularly life sciences, and when It came to choosing courses, the first time round I only applied for Natural Sciences because I really wanted to further my study of both biology and chemistry. I accepted my offer from Leeds after being rejected from the University of Cambridge, because the course offered the modules which looked relevant to the Masters and PhD programmes I have my heart set on.

I then took a gap year and reapplied to study a wider variety of courses as I was accepted into the YINI scheme to work as a software engineer at a really cool biotech company. During this time, I received offers again for Leeds NatSci and Imperial Biochemistry.

I found making the decision between the two once again incredibly difficult. Although I love life sciences, I really don't want to miss out on the study of broader chemistry, specifically materials and organic/inorganic modules available at leeds, as I really want to go into sustainable plastic design.

I chose imperial eventually from family advice, the broader range of academic societies (which don't really exist at Leeds), the interdisciplinary engineering project which I really want to get involved with, it's standard of teaching and also the London music scene (I am a semi professional musician). I have found a nano materials masters course which accepts biochemistry students, which should allow me to progress on to a physical sciences masters (I am looking at chemical engineering based bioplastic programmes at the moment).

But I have lived in London since I was 11, and have had to sacrifice the opportunity to move away and experience a new place, although I will be moving to student accommodation.

For me, posgradaute prospects in terms of masters and PhD programmes are the most important things about my degree. Have I made the wrong decision? I think I may be able to contact Leeds and ask for a space through clearing, but am not sure...

Hi there :hi:
From reading your post I really feel chemistry would be a cool course for you, however I don't think access to these modules is out of reach when doing NatSci. I would clarify when you start and get info on being able to transfer to chem course if you start and feel NatSci isn't for you.

Best wishes,
Cheese

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending