The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lol yeah
oh right gooooood! :smile:
i've appiled to do criminlogy, am more of a crime and police person lolz :smile: i want to be in the courts dealing with crime lol sounds werid but it interests me :smile:
x
Reply 21
Yeah that sounds good.
Right, I must leave TSR now, if I don't then I won't get much more revision done.
Best of luck to anyone watching this thread!
Reply 22
Bubbles-go-pop
oh yes i am sitting at home now "revising" for this exam. i love geography. but i hate his exam. i just think it's one of those ones that is actually quite easy but is hard.. if you get me.

for revision i've been using the revision guide, going over my investigations and writing the essays. and now i am just fingers crossing nothing on stats comes up :smile: i hate them. hate hate hate hate hate stats. sorry had to get that out!

good luck everyone for tomorrow

x

This sounds exactly like me! I'm having a pretty tough time with the stats tests, so praying they don't come up...:rolleyes:

Although I'm glad that it looks like not too many people are taking this exam now... lower grade boundaries all the way:biggrin:
sarah430
This sounds exactly like me! I'm having a pretty tough time with the stats tests, so praying they don't come up...:rolleyes:

Although I'm glad that it looks like not too many people are taking this exam now... lower grade boundaries all the way:biggrin:

low grade boundaries YES PLEASE!
Lol there are only 18 of us in my sixth form taking this test 8-) lol
but lower boundaries come on!!!
x
Theres only 3 of us in my 6th form taking this test lol - really small class :smile:
Reply 26
I'm afraid that our sixth form has almost 70 taking the exam.
But even still that's a relatively small number.
I reckon there will probably be only around 1000-1500 people taking the exam in total.
andy892
I'm afraid that our sixth form has almost 70 taking the exam.
But even still that's a relatively small number.
I reckon there will probably be only around 1000-1500 people taking the exam in total.

Your lessons must be more like lectures!
Reply 28
Thy-Lanky-One
Your lessons must be more like lectures!

Haha. Well we are split into about 4 classes, so just under 20 per class, and that's fairly normal for our sixth form.
Best of luck for the exam.
andy892
Yeah, it's my last January (February) exam too - although only last exam of 2, so not too bad!
I'm actually looking forward to the exam in some way haha. I hope it will be OK, but I'm a bit nervous now.
Yes, I've applied to do Geography at university :smile: I love it.

i've applied for geography too :smile:
Reply 30
Bubbles-go-pop
i've applied for geography too :smile:

Oh right, where have you applied to? Have you heard back from places yet?
Reply 31
How did everyone find the exam?

Personally I thought that it was good.

I did Question 3 from Part A. First question was: "Outline two extra things that would be required if this photo was to be part of a geographical investigation". Second was: "Outline the value of secondary data in geographical investigations". Third was: "Outline the value of pilot studies in geographical investigations."
I think they were all OK. The first one was the one I was least liked of the three, but I said that details of when the photo was taken and also where it was taken would be required. In addition to that I said that it would be useful to have annotations on the photo, to tell the reader why it was included in the investigation and also to give more detail about what it is actually showing as it could be a number of things.

Question 4 the first essay question was the harder of the two. I don't see how I got 3 pages of writing from it really. I outlined the theory behind my investigation first, then I went on to say how the methods used related to it. I also talked about the sampling technique that we used (this was for rivers) as I said we needed to ensure that we were measuring downstream changes (in fitting with the theory) so had to choose sites from different parts of the river. Then I also talked about the different variables that were collected. I also talked about bankfull variables that needed to be calculated to see if one thing changes in a river system, will others change too? So I included Manning's equation.

Question 5 was a giveaway I thought. I loved it! Our teacher had modified the specimen paper for us and one of the new essay questions that he had included was outline problems with primary data collection technique and how they affected your results. I could apply all of what I said there to this example. I hope it was as good as I thought it was.

So, on the whole, I think it was a good paper, save question 4 which was a little bit more difficult to know actually what to write!
Reply 32
yer great paper! i think question 4 you could write a lot of stuff about. for instance i wrote 2 pages on my sampling strategy, so for rivers how the use of linear stratified complements the Bradshaw model. and then related to my own experience about how we also had to factor in some pragmatism.

What i found weird was is that you could write in question 4 also about your methods. it said you could use the same study for 4 and 5, but then question 5 was about your methods too?
Reply 33
Mattjames
yer great paper! i think question 4 you could write a lot of stuff about. for instance i wrote 2 pages on my sampling strategy, so for rivers how the use of linear stratified complements the Bradshaw model. and then related to my own experience about how we also had to factor in some pragmatism.

What i found weird was is that you could write in question 4 also about your methods. it said you could use the same study for 4 and 5, but then question 5 was about your methods too?

Yeah I also talked about sampling strategy in question 4. But I didn't think that it really matched with the question and it was sort a bit off on a tangent. I also talked a little bit about methods and how they matched. But I think that I mainly talked about analysis techniques and how they were used to process the raw data and that was related to the original theory - e.g. calculation of area, wetted perimeter, hydraulic radius, bankfull discharge etc.
Reply 34
andy892
Yeah I also talked about sampling strategy in question 4. But I didn't think that it really matched with the question and it was sort a bit off on a tangent. I also talked a little bit about methods and how they matched. But I think that I mainly talked about analysis techniques and how they were used to process the raw data and that was related to the original theory - e.g. calculation of area, wetted perimeter, hydraulic radius, bankfull discharge etc.

I did nothing about that :| with the question saying sampling strategy and how its related to geographical theories... i just presumed it meant mostly how you developed your sampling strategy, analyse how it related : so because your linear you follow the route of the river, which conicides with Bradshaw's laws for going downstream. Then I talked about how their was the mother of all rain in our trip and so we had to be pragmatic due to the river being dangerously high, meaning that our sampling strategy did not fully relate because of the circumstances. And then talk a little bit about certain things you did, so how your depth of river going downstream fitted bradshaw, which was easy to see due to your sampling strategy. :frown:
Reply 35
Mattjames
I did nothing about that :| with the question saying sampling strategy and how its related to geographical theories... i just presumed it meant mostly how you developed your sampling strategy, analyse how it related : so because your linear you follow the route of the river, which conicides with Bradshaw's laws for going downstream. Then I talked about how their was the mother of all rain in our trip and so we had to be pragmatic due to the river being dangerously high, meaning that our sampling strategy did not fully relate because of the circumstances. And then talk a little bit about certain things you did, so how your depth of river going downstream fitted bradshaw, which was easy to see due to your sampling strategy. :frown:

I didn't think that the question even said SAMPLING strategy. It may have said how did your strategy relate to your theory I thought.

What you've written sounds fine anyway. I think you will have done well. It was quite a difficult question to get your head around.
Reply 36
andy892
I didn't think that the question even said SAMPLING strategy. It may have said how did your strategy relate to your theory I thought.

What you've written sounds fine anyway. I think you will have done well. It was quite a difficult question to get your head around.

yer good i was worried for a second. I think weve just interpreted it in different ways but both correctly? it seemed quite a broad question really, so long as you put a lot of detail in these answers and justify and criticise a lot i think we'll be fine :smile:
Reply 37
Mattjames
yer good i was worried for a second. I think weve just interpreted it in different ways but both correctly? it seemed quite a broad question really, so long as you put a lot of detail in these answers and justify and criticise a lot i think we'll be fine :smile:

Yeah. I can't remember the exact wording of the question even. I remember reading it so many times when I was writing my answer, however, just to ensure that what I was actually writing was correct.
Reply 38
andy892
Yeah. I can't remember the exact wording of the question even. I remember reading it so many times when I was writing my answer, however, just to ensure that what I was actually writing was correct.

YES. i did that for 5 as well ha. and its a first paper so the marking is likely to be pretty lenient i reckon. good luck with the results :smile:!
yeah i didnt think it was too bad :smile: did Q3.

but none of us really liked Q4...

ubt on the whole a much more pleasant experience than i had thought it would be!

Latest

Trending

Trending