The Student Room Group

Geography or History GCSE?

I'm picking my gcses in february, and I need to pick between geography and history since I cannot do both. I started the year being certain I would pick geography, but it turns out that I'm finding history's essays interesting and got full marks on my last one (however it was an open book one, so it'll be harder when we do one from memory, but I have to choose my gcses before we can do a test like that). Geography is good too, and I got mastery on my report for both the subjects, I enjoy them basically equally, but I don't love to learn about physical geography. Can I have advice from people currently taking the gcses and how they're finding them? thank you
Reply 1
Original post by i_am_a_potato
I'm picking my gcses in february, and I need to pick between geography and history since I cannot do both. I started the year being certain I would pick geography, but it turns out that I'm finding history's essays interesting and got full marks on my last one (however it was an open book one, so it'll be harder when we do one from memory, but I have to choose my gcses before we can do a test like that). Geography is good too, and I got mastery on my report for both the subjects, I enjoy them basically equally, but I don't love to learn about physical geography. Can I have advice from people currently taking the gcses and how they're finding them? thank you

Do you actually want to do one of them? There's no rule that you have to take one.

I would look at the GCSE specification to see what you will be learning. You can find these on the exam board website.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Do you actually want to do one of them? There's no rule that you have to take one.

I would look at the GCSE specification to see what you will be learning. You can find these on the exam board website.

I absolutely do... I would do both if I could but I can't
I've looked at the specs of both, and I find the human geography part of geography very interesting, but we're doing OCR history about how the past affected the future, and that's extremely interesting to me as well.
Reply 3
I've looked at the specs of both, and I find the human geography part of geography very interesting, but we're doing OCR history about how the past affected the future, and that's extremely interesting to me as well.

So why can't you do both? There's no rule about that.
Reply 4
I do history and I find it really interesting! If you’re good at remembering facts then it will be more about learning exam technique and how to answer different questions. Since you like the two equally I think the biggest difference are the exam structures and if you’d rather write multiple essay questions or have more variety (you can always google past papers and make up your mind)
Hi there!
I am year 11 and am currently taking both geography and history (although both AQA). Personally, I have found history so much more interesting than geography (which very quickly became very repetitive) and I have enjoyed the lessons and revision much more. However, I have found history much more difficult both due to the question types (although may be different with OCR!) and the huge quantity of dates and facts to just purely memorise.
Although, if I had only taken history and not geography I imagine this would have been less of an issue as it was combined with memorising facts from geography which I needed too.

Personally, if I had to choose between them, I would choose history but I have had a brilliant teacher and super interesting topics (medicine, Elizabeth I, Vietnam and Korea, and Germany). However, I do think geography is considerably easier!
Neither of them would be a negative choice (in my opinion)!

Also bear in mind if you have any desire to do either at A Level, obviously go for that one! And keep in mind I do a different exam board to you and I am by no means a historian or geographer 😂.

Good luck with your choices!
Reply 6

It sounds like you would do great in both humanities but if your school requires you to pick one then I would say you should go with the one you enjoy more. Personally, I find Geography much easier in terms of learning content but History is much more interesting. Geography is usually less essay-based whereas for History you do need to write substantially more and you have a wider range of question styles. If it helps you could take your future ideal professions into account (example: History would be more well-suited to Law and Geography to Environmental Science). Hope this helps and good luck!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 7
thank you so much for the help! honestly, id rather do history from your advice, but my parents and my friends are encouraging me to do geography and if its easier to do geography then id prefer it because im already doing 10/11 gcses (which i guess isn't that much but im sorta hoping for all 9s?) . also, we do OCR History 'explaining the modern world' and no one on here seems to be doing that course which isn't great. on the other hand, i actually might want to go into law, so history might be the better choice for me.. im honestly still not sure, but i need to figure it out soon. i hope i enjoy whatever i choose.
Reply 8

I love the human part of geography as well, and the history topic sounds so fascinating! :biggrin: I'm luckily able to do both as I couldn't choose either, however, I'm finding that some of the geography can be quite simplistic compared to the history. Maybe this is because I love history and I'm doing more extension work, but I'm definitely finding some of the geo topics very unchallenging - the most complicated part is remembering stats for case studies and that can get a little bit boring. I'm finding history involves more in-depth learning and analysis, and you are able to do longer 10 and 40 mark essays which allow you to implement more knowledge. But ofc every school is different, so don't take this word for word....
Reply 9
Original post by joy222
I love the human part of geography as well, and the history topic sounds so fascinating! :biggrin: I'm luckily able to do both as I couldn't choose either, however, I'm finding that some of the geography can be quite simplistic compared to the history. Maybe this is because I love history and I'm doing more extension work, but I'm definitely finding some of the geo topics very unchallenging - the most complicated part is remembering stats for case studies and that can get a little bit boring. I'm finding history involves more in-depth learning and analysis, and you are able to do longer 10 and 40 mark essays which allow you to implement more knowledge. But ofc every school is different, so don't take this word for word....

i actually really like writing essays and i'd say im alright at memorising stuff. i looked at past papers for my exam board (OCR, explaining the modern world) and theres apparently 5 topics you learn about. honestly, history seems like it would be hard to memorise because theres so much content, is this true? nevertheless, everyone on here prefers history, but im still not sure what i'd rather do. i also looked at geography past papers and the 6 markers seem quite interesting to answer. how much harder is history? I'd like a challenge but I don't want to spend too much time on it and not be able to focus time on other subjects (I'm aiming for all 9s which is crazy but why not try)
im really not sure-
Reply 10
i actually really like writing essays and i'd say im alright at memorising stuff. i looked at past papers for my exam board (OCR, explaining the modern world) and theres apparently 5 topics you learn about. honestly, history seems like it would be hard to memorise because theres so much content, is this true? nevertheless, everyone on here prefers history, but im still not sure what i'd rather do. i also looked at geography past papers and the 6 markers seem quite interesting to answer. how much harder is history? I'd like a challenge but I don't want to spend too much time on it and not be able to focus time on other subjects (I'm aiming for all 9s which is crazy but why not try)
im really not sure-

There is quite a bit of memorising involved in history, but personally I find the memorising part easier in hist easier than in geo because the dates/content have a chronological order to them and they are to an extent interconnecting whereas the geo statistics are considerably more random. Yes, there is a lot of content, but I find that if you enjoy the topic and find it fascinating it does sink in (with the help of judicious amounts of flashcards in my case haha). I don't find that I spend more time on history than I do on any of the other subjects, so it defo doesn't stand out a super challenging/time-consuming... If you'd like to do law, I'd definitely recommend history and going on to do a history a-level would be super helpful for law, especially if you're not a big english fan (but if you are, fantastic, because I hate it and its not making my life easy atm). The 6 markers are quite interesting, however I do find some of the content a bit repetitive so by the time you get to the exam questions they can lose the interesting-ness (but that's just my opinion lol).
I'm also aiming for all 9s and I'm so glad that I am not the only person trying to do that!
anyway I hope I'm being somewhat helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest