The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Some Advice Please

I'm contemplating studying with the OU right now, and I'd love to start soon, but I'm pretty confused on quite a few aspects. :o:

I'd totally appreciate it if you could answer the following questions:

Is it possible to get into a brick uni by studying different courses at the OU; most likely AA100 and DD101, or does it have to be the whole 120 credits from the first year of a actual undergraduate degree?

How does the finance system work, in terms of studying an actual degree to just studying a course?
Hi there,

It is possible to get into a brick uni by studying OU courses, but this would totally depend on which uni and what you want to study there: if you know which unis you want to apply to, your best bet is to call or email their admissions people and ask if they'd accept OU points for entry onto whatever course it is you want to apply for, and, if so, how many points, at what level and in which subject(s). There's no hard and fast answer because this would be a non-standard way to enter a brick uni, sorry!

As for finance with the OU, you apply on a per course rather than per qualification basis.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thank you. I've actually decided that I want to study for a Psychology degree. Now can I only choose the courses listed on the 'planning your studies' section, for the level one courses, or are there any more that I just can't seem to see?

The registration mentions it's closed, but it also states: You have until 22/01/10 to register, Please tell me I can still register?
Reply 3
miley
Thank you. I've actually decided that I want to study for a Psychology degree. Now can I only choose the courses listed on the 'planning your studies' section, for the level one courses, or are there any more that I just can't seem to see?

The registration mentions it's closed, but it also states: You have until 22/01/10 to register, Please tell me I can still register?

depends on whether the course is full. give them a ring.
Reply 4
tarwe
depends on whether the course is full. give them a ring.

It's more of a problem on how I go about it on the financial side?
Reply 5
miley
It's more of a problem on how I go about it on the financial side?

well it says if you want to apply for financial help you have to do it 2 weeks before the end of registration.
Reply 6
tarwe
well it says if you want to apply for financial help you have to do it 2 weeks before the end of registration.

Yeah, I've read that section, but it also mention that if I were to apply past the registration date, I would have o pay for the course and then apply for the finance, which they will credit back to me. I'm just a bit wary of the whole process, has anyone found this to be a problem?
Reply 7
miley
Yeah, I've read that section, but it also mention that if I were to apply past the registration date, I would have o pay for the course and then apply for the finance, which they will credit back to me. I'm just a bit wary of the whole process, has anyone found this to be a problem?

I paid up front and am trying to claim back at the min. It is a bit off hassle with the forms, but then when i was at brick uni, i remember it was just as bad. just got to fill them in as best u can and eventually it should get sorted. i think once u go through the process once, it should be alot easier for following years/course, i presume!!!!
Reply 8
DELBOYJOE
I paid up front and am trying to claim back at the min. It is a bit off hassle with the forms, but then when i was at brick uni, i remember it was just as bad. just got to fill them in as best u can and eventually it should get sorted. i think once u go through the process once, it should be alot easier for following years/course, i presume!!!!

Thanks for the reply. When did you register for the course?
Reply 9
miley
Thanks for the reply. When did you register for the course?

i registered in dec sometime, just a few days after the cut-off to recieve financial support up front. The form is really difficult to fill in, as theres many factors they need to take into accout, some effecting me are, other previous/current studies, outstanding student loans, and then the usual income based questions, etc, etc.

Latest