The Student Room Group

TSR Game Bargains Thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm tempted to go for Fallout 3 but apparently it crashes a lot like a bitch on Windows 7 and makes you install Games for Windows Live?
Reply 2281
Original post by The Lyceum
I'm tempted to go for Fallout 3 but apparently it crashes a lot like a bitch on Windows 7 and makes you install Games for Windows Live?

Ive never had problems playing it on w7 but it does make you install games for windows live

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by Stirlo
Ive never had problems playing it on w7 but it does make you install games for windows live

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

How intrusive/annoying is GforWL?
Reply 2283
Original post by The Lyceum
How intrusive/annoying is GforWL?

I barely notice it when playing games that require it. I never have it open unless I'm playing a game so can't comment on what it's like normally. You just need to log in to it when you start the game up and then it plays normally. (Obviously has it's own achievement system)
Reply 2284
This ^

It annoys a lot of people apparently, but I think that's just because it's Microsoft/not-Steam, and a fair few PC gamers whine when something is either of those.
Original post by Chocothunder
What's TSR's verdict of the Dead Space games?

I would like this hear this as well :biggrin:
Reply 2286
Original post by Mo-Amin
This ^

It annoys a lot of people apparently, but I think that's just because it's Microsoft/not-Steam, and a fair few PC gamers whine when something is either of those.

I don't understand how it annoys people, it's not too different to steam in game just a different company/UI.

Now what does really annoy is Ubisoft's Uplay. I don't know why it just does

They are the games Resident Evil 5 should have been - the best examples of action/horror out there.

If this is related to the Steam sale I'd recommend you play with a controller as the mouse controls are ****ed. Also headphones are a must, those games have great sound design.
I purchased Fallout 3...not sure if I want to carry on with Skyrim or play FO3...I guess it depends on how GamesFW acts...
Original post by Stirlo
I barely notice it when playing games that require it. I never have it open unless I'm playing a game so can't comment on what it's like normally. You just need to log in to it when you start the game up and then it plays normally. (Obviously has it's own achievement system)

I agree, I think it's fine. Uplay on the other hand... :|
Original post by Stirlo
Now what does really annoy is Ubisoft's Uplay. I don't know why it just does
It's Ubisoft. They are the masters of pissing off gamers with needless DRM :p: Over the weekend, games that required Uplay couldn't actually be played - the droves of people buying games like Assassin's Creed: Revelations in the Steam sales and having to log into UPlay to verify their accounts and stuff caused the UPlay servers to crash. And it's not the first time they've had issues with crappy DRM - back in 2010 when they first introduced the Ubisoft Games Launcher program that requires a permanent connection to Ubisoft's servers for the duration of your gaming session (even if you're playing a single-player campaign offline), the mass of people trying to connect to the servers so they could play the newly-released Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction crashed the servers, meaning that only those who pirated the games and didn't have to endure Ubisoft's stupid DRM were actually able to play the games for the first few days of their release :rolleyes: Then despite removing that DRM on its bigger titles (lesser titles like Settlers 7 apparently still had/have it) and not adding it to newer games, a year and a half later Ubisoft publicly announced that its DRM was successful at reducing piracy (even though it probably increased piracy rates of their games, and certainly had a negative impact on sales :erm:) and that they were re-introducing it with the release of Driver: San Francisco. They said that From Dust that was released shortly before Driver would not have DRM, but it did...initially, until the mass of complaining customers caused them to remove it a few weeks later. Simply put, Ubisoft really like to **** their customers over.

Original post by jakemittle
I would like this hear this as well :biggrin:

They're pretty solid action horror games with a near flawless blend of atmosphere, music and setting. They embody a lot of the classic horror elements found in films like Alien, Aliens and Event Horizon. The storyline, voice acting and action is well done - the weapons are fun to use and have varying degrees of customisation. The HUD and the way information is presented to you is by far one of the most clever and immersive ways I've seen in a video game.

Oh, and best played in the dark at night with headphones. :colone:
Cant buy anything on Steam atm..anyone else having this problem?
Reply 2293
Cant buy anything on Steam atm..anyone else having this problem?

I think it's creaking under the number of people using it. I've been having pages loading slowly and getting occasional "steam is unavailable" pages since the sale started, and it took ages to confirm one of my purchases.

Edit: Are you trying to buy separate games that you already have included in bundles in your cart? The purchase buttons of the shopping cart appears faded out when you try to do this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by maxPP
I think it's creaking under the number of people using it. I've been having pages loading slowly and getting occasional "steam is unavailable" pages since the sale started, and it took ages to confirm one of my purchases.

Edit: Are you trying to buy separate games that you already have included in bundles in your cart? The purchase buttons of the shopping cart appears faded out when you try to do this.

Seems so..

but im trying to get Metro 2033 and Fable..and it says that theres something wrong with my card (there isnt)..tried my bros one and it didnt work either!
Seems so..

but im trying to get Metro 2033 and Fable..and it says that theres something wrong with my card (there isnt)..tried my bros one and it didnt work either!

Your bank may be blocking the purchase, if you have the funds available that is :wink2:
Kotor 1 <3
Seems so..

Original post by Magnum Opus
Your bank may be blocking the purchase, if you have the funds available that is :wink2:
Nah, it seems to be a problem on Steam's end. I got an error when trying to buy Wrath of the Lamb the other day. The error message said my bank had blocked the purchase, but I checked my bank account online, there was nothing fishy I noticed, so I tried again and the payment went through. I think Steam's cocking up sending the payment details and the bank's refusing it, so just wait a while and try again. Especially within the first 1-2 hours of new deals being posted up, the site always gets hammered with traffic and generates errors by the bucketload - as I've said before in this sale already and I've said a few times in previous sales, I typically will avoid trying to buy anything on the site until 9pm or so when I hope the site is more stable than it is at 6pm when the deals change.
Still not happy about the steam sale being on whilst I'm in Ibiza. Killing floor was on sale yesterday and I have been after that for a while but I couldn't buy it.

Now I am annoyed as both games I bought on Saturday because knew I wasn't going to be at home have been on sale for less than I paid for them, on a positive note at least I got them while they were on some sort of sale.

Hopefully I might catch the last day of sales when I get home, I'm hoping for something good :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2299
Original post by Mo-Amin
This ^

I've never used games for windows live, but I've heard it's a mess... The reason steam doesn't get as much of the criticism is because most of the games that require steam are bought through steam (I know there are exceptions) whereas a lot of games that require GfWL are not bought through GfWL.

I'm stuck here shuffling partitions around to make more space for my shiny new games... I only just realised that it would have been much more effective to order them differently so the ones that change the most are next to eachother.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest