The Student Room Group

TSR Game Bargains Thread

Scroll to see replies

You need something inside the quote tags otherwise the quote doesn't show up in the post (it appeared in my Who Quoted Me, though) and it can be a bit confusing to other users who you're talking to :p:

The stuff from the D&D Anthology that I don't already own is quite tempting. It's a question of whether to go with that, or plump for getting the anthology from gamersgate that I linked you a while back 'just in case' my hard copies of the Baldur's Gate games get damaged. The Icewind Dales, Planescape Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil come to $18 (around £11.60) on GOG, while the whole collection's £15 on GG. There are certainly others up there which interest me, though. Freespace 2 is supposed to be one of the best space combat sims ever made but I've never tried it, and Jagged Alliance 2 is jumping out at me as well.
You guys know when the Steam Christmas sales start?
Original post by Dalimyr
You need something inside the quote tags otherwise the quote doesn't show up in the post (it appeared in my Who Quoted Me, though) and it can be a bit confusing to other users who you're talking to :p:

The stuff from the D&D Anthology that I don't already own is quite tempting. It's a question of whether to go with that, or plump for getting the anthology from gamersgate that I linked you a while back 'just in case' my hard copies of the Baldur's Gate games get damaged. The Icewind Dales, Planescape Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil come to $18 (around £11.60) on GOG, while the whole collection's £15 on GG. There are certainly others up there which interest me, though. Freespace 2 is supposed to be one of the best space combat sims ever made but I've never tried it, and Jagged Alliance 2 is jumping out at me as well.

Well I'm basically thinking of buying the stuff on GG and then mopping up the rest via GOG. Thing is I probably, sadly, won't have the time to replay BG2, ICW1and2 yet let alone start the others.

I STILL haven't got hold of the Witcher 2, and need to finish Dragon Age: Origins. OR NWN2!....gods....
Reply 1783
I'll probably be buying a second hand Xbox 360 over the next few days.
Do games tend to go on sale after XMas? If so, when exactly?
CEX, for example?

(will pos rep any reply)
Cheers
Original post by C_B_C

Original post by C_B_C
CEX, for example?

(will pos rep any reply)
Cheers
As soon as the shops open - whether that be Boxing Day or slightly after, games will always be on sale in high street stores. A Christmas tradition in my family for years was to spend my birthday (Dec 28th) shopping in Glasgow, taking advantage of the post-Christmas sales, and I could easily spend £100+ on games in the sales. Discounts might not always be that great (the infamous "Was £19.99, Now £19.98" sort of thing has a very ugly habit of turning up each and every year without fail) but there should be some deals out there that'd be more worthwhile. However, that said, I still buy 99% of my games over the internet.
Original post by Dalimyr
As soon as the shops open - whether that be Boxing Day or slightly after, games will always be on sale in high street stores. A Christmas tradition in my family for years was to spend my birthday (Dec 28th) shopping in Glasgow, taking advantage of the post-Christmas sales, and I could easily spend £100+ on games in the sales. Discounts might not always be that great (the infamous "Was £19.99, Now £19.98" sort of thing has a very ugly habit of turning up each and every year without fail) but there should be some deals out there that'd be more worthwhile. However, that said, I still buy 99% of my games over the internet.

Brilliant. Just brilliant!
Original post by C_B_C
CEX, for example?

(will pos rep any reply)
Cheers

I can't add much to the splendid replies you've received already, but I would add that you can more often than not find new copies of games cheaper than the prices CEX charge for preowned.

Plus, CEX staff have a habit of writing all over the not-quite-so-tatty box that you purposely picked up off the shelf. And have a habit of giving you the cheapest, ****tiest, handleless bags I've ever seen, if they give you one at all. And until recently they've almost always had a distinct pong of hardcore drugs. I clearly love CEX :p:
Reply 1787
Original post by JohnnySPal
I can't add much to the splendid replies you've received already, but I would add that you can more often than not find new copies of games cheaper than the prices CEX charge for preowned.

Plus, CEX staff have a habit of writing all over the not-quite-so-tatty box that you purposely picked up off the shelf. And have a habit of giving you the cheapest, ****tiest, handleless bags I've ever seen, if they give you one at all. And until recently they've almost always had a distinct pong of hardcore drugs. I clearly love CEX :p:

I'd disagree: I'm quite a fan of CEX.
They make buying and selling second hand games straight forwards.

And I'm not too fussed about the bags or even the game boxes they give you :P

CEX's the way forwards!
Original post by C_B_C
I'd disagree: I'm quite a fan of CEX.
They make buying and selling second hand games straight forwards.

And I'm not too fussed about the bags or even the game boxes they give you :P

CEX's the way forwards!

Yeah I quite like them. But then, I've only ordered from them online :smile:
A heads-up for those who've purchased the latest Humble Bundle: soundtracks have just been added for download if you want them.
Game are selling PSP 3000s for £30 in-store. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-psp-3000-black-39-99-brand-new-instore-game-1093622
Original post by jakemittle
You guys know when the Steam Christmas sales start?

19th by the looks of it, maybe 20th.
Original post by Will Lucky
19th by the looks of it, maybe 20th.

Thanks dude!
Aye, Christmas sale's confirmed as running from Dec 19th to Jan 2nd (a few of the marketing guys for some devs have already jumped the gun by advertising that their game(s) will be available at reduced prices during those two weeks). That'll be 6pm on the 19th that it starts for us, of course :smile:

Edit: Someone's also posted on Steam's forums showing all the games which have new Christmassy achievements (there are a lot of them, too, hence he's suggesting they might be for another of those event things like we had with the summer boot camp - complete achievements on games in the daily deals and get tickets or whatever to spend on bonus content). Flicking through the list, one of the comedy highlights for me is DEFCON's one (which is already available to go for): "Nuke Santa and thereby end Christmas for everyone, for ever more" :rofl:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dalimyr
Aye, Christmas sale's confirmed as running from Dec 19th to Jan 2nd (a few of the marketing guys for some devs have already jumped the gun by advertising that their game(s) will be available at reduced prices during those two weeks). That'll be 6pm on the 19th that it starts for us, of course :smile:

Edit: Someone's also posted on Steam's forums showing all the games which have new Christmassy achievements (there are a lot of them, too, hence he's suggesting they might be for another of those event things like we had with the summer boot camp - complete achievements on games in the daily deals and get tickets or whatever to spend on bonus content). Flicking through the list, one of the comedy highlights for me is DEFCON's one (which is already available to go for): "Nuke Santa and thereby end Christmas for everyone, for ever more" :rofl:

Very interesting post. I'm amazed I can still rep guys in here without getting the 'rate more members' message. Sweet.

I can't believe it's starting tomorrow, time goes way too fast. It's a good job I got paid on Friday. It also means that I mightn't have to brave the shops to buy real-life, tangible presents for quite as long now :woo:

Which devs have made announcements? Do you know of any juicy offers? I knew the Oddboxx was coming last year which I pounced on when it became available.

Very interesting post. I'm amazed I can still rep guys in here without getting the 'rate more members' message. Sweet.

I can't believe it's starting tomorrow, time goes way too fast. It's a good job I got paid on Friday. It also means that I mightn't have to brave the shops to buy real-life, tangible presents for quite as long now :woo:

Which devs have made announcements? Do you know of any juicy offers? I knew the Oddboxx was coming last year which I pounced on when it became available.
Links were in the post I linked with the achievements list - Geoff Keene (founder of Sandswept Studios) posted that their indie game DETOUR would be 75% off, and someone from ISOTX has been advertising their (admittedly crappy) Iron Grip games (75% off IG: Warlord, 20% off some in-game products in the free-to-play IG: Marauders, and Warlord is included in an indie bundle, priced at $20 for the US market (knowing Steam, it will be different, probably more expensive, for us) containing IG: Warlord, Rochard, Atom Zombie Smasher, Avadon, Demolition, Inc., Sanctum, Runespell: Overture, Everyday Shooter, Sequence and Zombie Driver)
Reply 1796

Good job I got my overdraft on Friday :colone:
wow, Steam really can't handle this demand. Just started looking at the deals and I'm getting internal server errors at every click
Steams been down for me for the past couple of hours. Though I found this on Reddit. Sums up what I've managed to see on Steam (very little) so far:
Attempting to buy Portal 2 and the Max Payne bundle, finding anything else so far is nigh impossible, especially when my basket keeps emptying itself :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest