The Student Room Group

the "dyslexia" excuse EXTRA TIME! WTH?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Threepigs
For **** sakes there's a crazy bitch singing some foreign song in the next room! you think you got problems? ******* hell.

Gahaha
I get extra time because of my dyslexia, because mine makes me a very slow thinker, and takes me forever to process everything.
I never got extra time in GCSEs because my school didn't tell me I could, even though they knew I had dyslexia.
My parents had to pay for a new test to get me the extra time this year - I've only had extra time this week.

And even when I used my extra time i felt SOOO EMBARRASED by it because I was left on my own, with a grand announcement to keep quiet, because I was still working, and everyone just staring at me as they left moaning about my time.

I only use it when I really need it.
Reply 62
samzurai
i mean honeslty if i was dyslexic i would be really pissed at people for using this condition as an excuse, as it would give people with the condition a bad name and may be in later life restricted less funding etc, bound to be! My sis who had loads of benefits really helped her up to her profession and selfish guys who are fully capable are ruining it for the rest of us!

It really annoys me! Im from a very very small school and people have the morals and the decency not to lie about having dyslexia and to hear on this forum that people do that is horrible!
Anomoly
It sounds like your school was really bad at identifying conditions even with guidance from teachers. Though you can't do much about that now, on the bright side at least you have it now. :yep:

Yup.. exactly. I am not bitter about it though, I came out with good GCSES.. ok AS-levels.. and I am certainly making up for it now :smile:. I mean last year I never thought I could get an offer for university :smile:
Reply 64
Eh Toll? Wht u on? Just spk english yh? Jut cos I av truble spellin
Reply 65
crazydan599
I get extra time because of my dyslexia, because mine makes me a very slow thinker, and takes me forever to process everything.
I never got extra time in GCSEs because my school didn't tell me I could, even though they knew I had dyslexia.
My parents had to pay for a new test to get me the extra time this year - I've only had extra time this week.

And even when I used my extra time i felt SOOO EMBARRASED by it because I was left on my own, with a grand announcement to keep quiet, because I was still working, and everyone just staring at me as they left moaning about my time.

you should be fully entitled!!!! if your dyslexic then definatley you should be able to have time no doubt my sister who is dyslexic is deserving and those who 'really' are, deserve every minute!
samzurai
first of all those who are really dyslexic this does not concern you so sorry to waste your time you are deserving (as my sister is really dyslexic):wink:

i feel that my peers who are claiming to be 'dyslexic' are getting an extra half hour for exams! I mean most of them are really clever scoring 90% on past papers anyway and have given lame ass excuses and i feel pressured to follow suite.
I mean with that unfair advantage espcially for maths i could have fixed my calculations errors and definitely bolstered my grade up by 1 :mad:

i can't help but feel angry and fustrated as these people openly claim to have 'cheated' the dyslexic test!

and now i feel asif i should lie which is morally wrong but i mean if they are recieving something that i don't then that is not fair right?

p.s sorry for spelling errors etc

Yea, I think its all a load of rubbish... Ive got mild dyslexia yet dont get any extra time in exams because I write quite quickly.. I think it would be fair if nobody got extra time, yet maybe their can be a note saying dyslexic on your UCAS form... :confused:
chronic_fatigue
Everyone seems to be dyslexic these days.

Tehy certianly do.
Reply 68
there's a girl in my year with manic depression and she gets more than 50% of the time added on again.
she isnt dyslexic and has no problem at all with academic studies. its ridiculous.
crazydan599

I know what you mean about the extra time.. being embarrassed.. even though ive only had it for one exam and there was only 3 people in the room and I was sat at the back and I even felt embarrassed.

Am going to be even more embarrassed with my next exam.. a bigger class and all my friends are going to be asking me why i am having extra time when i have never had it before!!!

my dyslexia sounds similar to yours!
Reply 70
chrissy92
It really annoys me! Im from a very very small school and people have the morals and the decency not to lie about having dyslexia and to hear on this forum that people do that is horrible!

thank you!, you agree and i think institues should make it harder to claim dyslexia thats my point
Reply 71
nessargh
there's a girl in my year with manic depression and she gets more than 50% of the time added on again.
she isnt dyslexic and has no problem at all with academic studies. its ridiculous.

hey man as long as they can prove it its fine if i was to face a student with an 'actual' condition i would feel TOTALLY fine but the problem is idiots who choose to abuse the system
Reply 72
samzurai
thank you!, you agree and i think institues should make it harder to claim dyslexia thats my point

I think in my position there were teachers who were fair and actually knew what to look for, but the idea of people pretending is ridiculous!
Reply 73
Reue
For me it was more of not being able to complete my essays in the allocated time due to slow handwriting.

You know, people are given laptops and extra time for that sort of thing if it's found there's a reason.

Ever thought there might be?
Reply 74
oliver5084
Yea, I think its all a load of rubbish... Ive got mild dyslexia yet dont get any extra time in exams because I write quite quickly.. I think it would be fair if nobody got extra time, yet maybe their can be a note saying dyslexic on your UCAS form... :confused:

Sound like sour grapes in my opinion. I'm 'mild' but still get 25%.

That's the only thing I would say is unfair. No matter what level of dyslexia you still get the same amount of time, or at least I think we all do.
samzurai
you should be fully entitled!!!! if your dyslexic then definatley you should be able to have time no doubt my sister who is dyslexic is deserving and those who 'really' are, deserve every minute!

Thank u, it was mostly directed at all the people saying that we shouldnt get any extra time, cus i always get this off my friends etc. sayin i dnt really need it cus I get quite good grades.
This might sound like a stupid question... but do you get 25% in all exams?!. It may sound stupid but my school is useless on passing on information.. I had to keep bugging them to find out if they had even sent of my application for extra time :\
beckaboos.
I know what you mean about the extra time.. being embarrassed.. even though ive only had it for one exam and there was only 3 people in the room and I was sat at the back and I even felt embarrassed.

Am going to be even more embarrassed with my next exam.. a bigger class and all my friends are going to be asking me why i am having extra time when i have never had it before!!!

my dyslexia sounds similar to yours!

its awful, seriously. today it was my 'clever' lessons (which i regret takin), and ALL the clever kids givin me a look like i dressed like a clown.

i hate dyslexia, i look like a gorm when i'm thinking aswell
Reply 78
beckaboos.
This might sound like a stupid question... but do you get 25% in all exams?!. It may sound stupid but my school is useless on passing on information.. I had to keep bugging them to find out if they had even sent of my application for extra time :\

I'm not sure if it is every exam or not to be honest. At GCSE I didn't get extra time for Maths because they said I didn't need it, but I got it for Statistics and everything else.
crazydan599
its awful, seriously. today it was my 'clever' lessons (which i regret takin), and ALL the clever kids givin me a look like i dressed like a clown.

i hate dyslexia, i look like a gorm when i'm thinking aswell

I dont hate dyslexia.. since really I have no choice but put up with it! I hate other people marking my work tho.. peer marking pushes all my panic buttons.. . How pathetic.. I am 19 and paniced at the thought of a judgemental 16 year old marking my work :\ Judgemental being the word there!

I look like a gorm as well.. and half the words that come out of my mouth dont make sense :\ hey thats life!

Quick Reply

Latest