The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Wills Hall/Stoke Bishop Questions

If anyone here is currently (or has been) at Wills/Stoke Bishop, I'd be really grateful if you could answer the following:

1) Are there regular buses to the university?
2) Are the university gym and libraries located in SB, or would I have to catch a bus to them?
3) What is living in Wills like? Any parties?
4) What is old quad like, in terms of the people there?

Thanks so much! I'd also be really grateful if anyone could PM or post a pic of an old quad room - I've seen the ones on the website, but they don't show much!
Doesn't Wills have its own gym?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Clarkey_Berlin
If anyone here is currently (or has been) at Wills/Stoke Bishop, I'd be really grateful if you could answer the following:

1) Are there regular buses to the university?
2) Are the university gym and libraries located in SB, or would I have to catch a bus to them?
3) What is living in Wills like? Any parties?
4) What is old quad like, in terms of the people there?

Thanks so much! I'd also be really grateful if anyone could PM or post a pic of an old quad room - I've seen the ones on the website, but they don't show much!

I'm not there at the moment but have applied there and had a look around.

1)I think so.
2)Wills has a gym, the uni gym is down the hill away from the centre of bristol but is a hell of a lot nearer to Stoke Bishop than Clifton :smile:
3)There are formals every friday night with a party in the bar afterwards, the end of year ball has a £23,000 budget :biggrin:
4)Shouldnt think its any different from anywhere else within the Halls, though the warden matches people up so that you should be with similar people to yourself whereever you end up within the halls.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
Just finished my year in Wills>

The Student Link goes from all the SB Halls to town, not actually that near the uni. However, that's the night time service. If you're lazy then there is a bus going nearer the Uni from outside Wills in the morning.

Wills has a gym and bookroom, but the gym isn't that good at all, and the bookroom is a rather eclectic mix spreading back over 75 years of collecting by random hall members. The library you'll want to use is either the Arts and Social Main, down by the Uni gym, or specific science ones.

Wills is grand, plenty of parties and things. Formal Hall every friday is followed by a disco, then special entry into various clubs around Bristol. In Freshers' week, there are 3 or 4 special events, and throughout the year the JCR organises things (Bond Night is my personal favourite)

Old Quad is generally seen as the better to be in, but I can't tell you about the people, since there's no difference between Old and New in terms of personality. Old Quad rooms are MUCH larger, and have the old oak wood thing going on. New, however, are all ensuite. It's a toss up. I'm an Old Quad-er, so i'm biased! There is a mini competition between the two quads anyway...
Reply 4
Awesome. Thanks for the info, guys!
Reply 5
symun

The Student Link goes from all the SB Halls to town, not actually that near the uni. However, that's the night time service. If you're lazy then there is a bus going nearer the Uni from outside Wills in the morning.

Wills has a gym and bookroom, but the gym isn't that good at all, and the bookroom is a rather eclectic mix spreading back over 75 years of collecting by random hall members. The library you'll want to use is either the Arts and Social Main, down by the Uni gym, or specific science ones.

Wills is grand, plenty of parties and things. Formal Hall every friday is followed by a disco, then special entry into various clubs around Bristol. In Freshers' week, there are 3 or 4 special events, and throughout the year the JCR organises things (Bond Night is my personal favourite)

Old Quad is generally seen as the better to be in, but I can't tell you about the people, since there's no difference between Old and New in terms of personality. Old Quad rooms are MUCH larger, and have the old oak wood thing going on. New, however, are all ensuite. It's a toss up. I'm an Old Quad-er, so i'm biased! There is a mini competition between the two quads anyway...

Crackin' info. Great stuff! Thanx.

The Bond Night sound absolutely awesome. :biggrin:
Reply 6
symun

That helps a lot thanks.

Question tho:

Does anyone stay around in the holidays or does everyone bugger off home? Frankly I'd rather hang around in Bristol for a bit after the end of term, where theres pubs and a train station than sit aorund at home where i dont know anyone for 50 miles and there isnt a pub for 6 miles either :frown:
Reply 7
Gexko
That helps a lot thanks.

Question tho:

Does anyone stay around in the holidays or does everyone bugger off home? Frankly I'd rather hang around in Bristol for a bit after the end of term, where theres pubs and a train station than sit aorund at home where i dont know anyone for 50 miles and there isnt a pub for 6 miles either :frown:

Most people bugger off home but there are a few that stay behind. Last year one of the medics stayed right through christmas.
Reply 8
They (usually) charge you for out of term residence by the day. Sometimes they also hold conferences and need the accomodation to be vacant for the delegates. BUT, if you arrange it with them, staying is no problem. There will be a 'duty' hall kitchen that will be cooking meals in Stoke Bishop and you can pay as you go, maintaning the intake of that 'great' hall grub out of term time.

People usually leave though. :tongue:
Most of the halls have 38 week lets......you already pay for the vacations.
Reply 10
lol, yes. sorry...i forgot about that! T'is true - but one one hall in Stokey-B will be catering at a time.

They used the change from 30 to 38 week lets to justify a FAT rent increase. Over the last 4 years hall rents have soared for absolutely no increase in 'service'. An unrelated rant though...
Reply 11
My mate stayed over holidays, but got dead lonely, since most people do leave.

Yes, rent is going up. At Wills I say the finace details from the SCR meetings (I don't think I was meant to...). Wanna know how much PROFIT they make a year?....

.... £250,000

:eek:
Reply 12
yeah, but pretty much all of that goes into a big black hole known as the 'central maintainence fund' - or something like that. If only it were actually ploughed back into the halls fully.
Reply 13
Indeed. Wills spend quite a bit putting a new fire system in last summer.

Plus, Wills weekly Formals are funded by the central fund - hence Hiatt Baker's complaint that they were paying for our fun.

Latest

Trending

Trending