The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
DaddyT
I agree with you on this which is why i didn't suggest him to really go into it, at anything below degree level its essential you tick the correct boxes rather then demonstrate a wider understanding...saying that even at degree level that is sometimes the case.

o dear have my posts been that bad that you need to ask if i'm at university lol. Yes i'm a finalist...role on june!

lol not at all, I just wasnt sure.

and ooh! good luck in that case.
danny111
not if they are rational.

Hey, this is A level i don't have to let my classical assumptions hold :fuhrer:, i have a big problem/personal vendetta with this assumption to be honest.
Reply 22
yoyo462001
Hey, this is A level i don't have to let my classical assumptions hold :fuhrer:, i have a big problem/personal vendetta with this assumption to be honest.

yes and no.

if you think a bit then it seems stupid.

if you think even more then you realise its not as bad as you first thought - i mean people are pretty rational (even when it seems they arent they in fact are).

also it is used widely in the profession so I think for now we should stick to it.
Reply 23
yoyo462001
If you want to really impress your teacher and gain lots of evaluation marks. Do a paragraph on inflation not being bad at, say that when wages rise with inflation even though wages dont go up in real terms but in nominal terms workers still feel more wealthier and are more inclined to spend.

Yeah put this in OP. ^^

Will be impressive indeed, and interesting for somebody reading loads of otherwise boring essays on inflation. :smile:
Reply 24
simontinsley
Uhhh, that is a lovely collection of bad economics right there. If inflation occurs consumers will spend more, as durable goods are a better store of wealth than currency, as the real value of currency is falling due to inflation.

Inflation helps those who have already borrowed as the real value of their debt is falling. The nominal interest rate may rise, but only so that the real interest rates stay the same. This means there will be no effect on business investment/consumer borrowing due to no change in real interest rates. It has been noted than moderate inflation can increase business investment, as physical capital becomes a more attractive prospect relative to currency, as currency is continuously depreciating.

Government benefits from inflation - as it is a debtor at long-term fixed interest rates. High inflation means that the real value of public debt falls.

Excuse me, but how does the high prices encourage consumers to spend more???
Also, if consumers don't spend more, then how will the government benefit??
You call my economics, you don't know what your talking about:mad:
Oasis Jnr
Excuse me, but how does the high prices encourage consumers to spend more???
Also, if consumers don't spend more, then how will the government benefit??
You call my economics, you don't know what your talking about:mad:

A rising price level makes consumers spend more, as the money they have is constantly getting worth less. Therefore, they get more if they buy sooner. This reduces consumer propensity to save, ie. they spend more.

How does government benefit? Governments are usually in debt (our public debt is 43%). This is in bonds that are at fixed interest rates. When there is high inflation, the government debt's real value depreciates, and so they benefit.
Reply 26
simontinsley
A rising price level makes consumers spend more, as the money they have is constantly getting worth less. Therefore, they get more if they buy sooner. This reduces consumer propensity to save, ie. they spend more.

How does government benefit? Governments are usually in debt (our public debt is 43%). This is in bonds that are at fixed interest rates. When there is high inflation, the government debt's real value depreciates, and so they benefit.

except propensity to save is mostly determined by the real interest rate. as that is your return on savings.

not what inflation is like.

even if there was 20% inflation, if I was offered 50% interest i would gladly save all my money.

edit: i just read your other post where you do mention this. maybe i should stop reading from back to front...
danny111
except propensity to save is mostly determined by the real interest rate. as that is your return on savings.

not what inflation is like.

even if there was 20% inflation, if I was offered 50% interest i would gladly save all my money.

Sure, but the real interest rate is determined by two things: the nominal interest rate and inflation. Taking it ceteris paribus, if inflation rises, then the real interest rate falls, therefore so does propensity to save.

EDIT: I know ceteris paribus doesn't always apply, but you really expect Economics to bear any resemblance to reality? For an extreme example - look at Zimbabwe, people rush to the shops as soon as they receive pay to spend it before it becomes worthless. I appreciate that it is hyper inflation - but the same thing occurs on a more minor scale.
Reply 28
simontinsley
Sure, but the real interest rate is determined by two things: the nominal interest rate and inflation. Taking it ceteris paribus, if inflation rises, then the real interest rate falls, therefore so does propensity to save.

yes, i edited my otehr post after reading your other one.
Reply 29
simontinsley

OK I see where you are coming from. Yes if inflation occurs, customers will buy soon before the price is too high but i'm talking about when inflation is already high and consumers are reluctant to spend then.:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending