The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Ideally both, but if you have to pick one, then French :yep:
Reply 2
See if you get a trip or work experience abroad with either of them, use that to decide. My AS French trip was amazing and this year my friend who took German has been in Germany all this week, for FREE!!!
Reply 3
I doubt either of them would give you a distinct advantage for anthropology. If you have one that you yourself prefer then go for that. If not, PICK FRENCH :smile:
Reply 4
Both! If you only want to do one, German is much less popular than French, so it'd give you an extra edge.
Reply 5
German language is better than French in my opinion, plus fewer people actually it to A-Level standard... however the grammar and stuff is a lot harder
French :smile:
German grammar is so much harder, but if you're good at it and enjoy it you could do either really.
Which one do you like more?

I do both, but I think you should base it on your personal preference, languages get quite difficults at A-level, so you should like it!
Reply 8
just like everyone else i would urge you to take the one you prefer.

something you could also consider if you are attending a sixth form at your current school then ask some older stendents for advice because i had one look at a german essay and went ahead and chose french :P
Reply 9
I did both for AS..
basically I was going to do MFL at uni, but then just fell out of love with French...sooooo, I'd say do German-but, German is considered to be one of the hardest A-Levels...

but do German :smile: even though the grammar does make me want to stitch my eyelids together on occasion..
Base it on which one you like most, unless you like them both equally. I don't do French but I can tell you in German it's a big step up from GCSE, in particular the grammar. German grammar is a bitch :frown:
French is a piece of piss. If you are already doing three subjects that you feel will be difficult, take French.

...I am jesting somewhat, but I found the transition from GCSE to AS-Level fairly tolerable, and the subject matter was only slightly more advanced than what we had already been doing.

A2 is something else entirely, but don't worry about that too much just now. :awesome:

Latest